Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: DLUX super build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: DLUX super build

Looking good. It should work well.
tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #102
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Some new pics/info...

Got the wiring all done up. Two sidewinders, two BEC's and a RX

Nice and light and super compact. 2.8oz with extra wiring

After I was done I weighed the wire. There is actually more that I didnt weigh. Either way, should be close to just 2.4oz for complete wiring.

Installed on electronics plate

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 01-01-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #103
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I actually got it all done late, late Friday, or should I say, Saturday? I took it out for a couple of hours on Saturday. I was only able to run about 1.5 hours before I found that I left a bunch of screws loose, almost every one of them. So, I brought it back home and took every single piece apart and put it back together correctly.

I just got back from driving it today. Man, these things are fun to drive! I dont know how much time my 2.2 will see anymore.

Couple of things that need to be addressed...

Rear links are HORRIBLE. Switching out to 1/4 TI lowers ASAP.
The bearing slop on the knuckles to axle shafts is crazy.
The slop between the knuckle and chub is horrible also, I need to find a fix for this and the bearing slop.
I think the ride height is way too tall. I need to figure out what I want to do to bring this down. I am trying to avoid building a new chassis.

I ended my day smoking a sidewinder micro, LOL. I am going to give it one more shot before getting rid of them. To be fair, I drove for almost 6 hours straight today and I was not easy on it at all powering through binds etc,. I am going to put this last one in and have a bit more respect for it by giving it breaks between every couple of packs.

Here are some pics of the last two days. Oh, I was not really going for the "Zebra" or "Ted Negent" look, LOL. Panels will be switched out ASAP.

One fun line I found out at the Great Salt Lake

Out in the desert

Old 01-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #104
RCC Addict

Wow, you can really tell the difference of your rears to your fronts. I've kinda shied away from that theory now. Weight bias alone seems enough and similar length lowers front and rear is more agile.
The rig looks awesome though, glad you got it dOne so quickly.
What's the day's RTR weight?
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Holy Badass, Batman! That turned out nicely Erik!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #106
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelljeep View Post
similar length lowers front and rear is more agile.
Explain?

Quote:
What's the day's RTR weight?
Not sure yet, I have it all apart now, when I get it back together I will weigh it. My guess is somewhere around 7lb 9oz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Holy Badass, Batman! That turned out nicely Erik!
Thanks!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Looks really good.
Why does it seem to tall? Sidehills? I'm assuming the track is similar to a bully, ~14".
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #108
RCC Addict

It's the difference between bumping against a wall with your chest(skidplate further forward) and being able to scramble over it on all fours(skidplate more centered). I know it's a flawed analogy, but let me try to make it more clear.
It seemed like it would transition over ledges better with the centered skidplate(equal lowers) hitting the lip rather than the rear lowers near their mount(longer rears). I would imagine it has to do with weight transfer being aided by the all the links being mobile and able to flex(centered skid) vs. the rear lowers being locked in full droop because they were crushed against the wall(longer rears).
Also the longer front links of the centered skid setup allow the rig push more weight further over the lip then the short arms will which obviously helps weight transfer, especially during moments where momentum was involved.
There were also times during steep inclines where the rig felt like it was on stilts and apt to tilt over, rather than feeling planted and nimble enough to react.
Downhills need no 'splaining.

And I went through months of this. I started off with a slight difference in lengths and couldn't tell a huge difference. Then I went to larger and larger offsets, until it reached a point where it was obvious it was hurting me. There was a time when I felt it was helpful, but looking back, it feels like wishful thinking. I do have shorter fronts still, but only by a few percentage points. Nothing drastic. Having gone through all of that experimentation, a centered skid feels more nimble and predictable than long arm rear/short arm front setups. Just my opinion.
Experimentation moves the hobby forward, and I know you live by that. I hope you are doing something different and have better results than I did. The way I see it, as long as a person doesn't get so locked into his groove that he can't change back, ain't nothing wrong with being wrong once in a while.
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #109
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Looks really good.
Why does it seem to tall? Sidehills? I'm assuming the track is similar to a bully, ~14".
I think it was tall, it felt way tall on climbs. Downhill and sidehill felt really good. I dont have much to compare it to though. It actually felt like it side hilled better than my 2.2. I dont know if thats normal though due to the extra width?

I just replaced the rod ends on my shocks back to a stock cap with my ****Big Bore Shock end SALE $7 a set!!!****. Now I am at 3" at full stuff and 5 at full droop. Seems much more normal? I hope it is because I am about out of options other than another cab, which really, wouldnt be that bad since it would be a great excuse to cut one out of carbon.

I was running the rear wide today and HATED it. It seemed to get me stuck on everything. So, I just narrowed it from 14.250 down to 13.750. I felt like I wanted more scrub on the front so I bumped that from 14 to 14.250.

Quote:
Yadayadablabla

Good read. I will have to read it more carefully and think about it. Seems like some of it makes good sense.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #110
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I am considering moving to a 45t motor in order to relieve some stress from the ESC's and maybe get some more torque. I was not terribly unhappy with the 35t I am running now, I could be happier with more torque but I assume this is the way of the super?

So, I suppose what I am asking is, should I try the 45t or try something else like a 55t? I did like the wheel speed of the 35t though....
Old 01-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Super looks very unique!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #112
RCC Addict

If you bump to a 45t and run a 4s lipo you might have what you are looking for on the speed and torque side.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #113
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Super looks very unique!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
If you bump to a 45t and run a 4s lipo you might have what you are looking for on the speed and torque side.
I am trying to get a touch more reliability AND torque. If that means I have to give up some wheel speed, I can do that. I dont think 4s will make those sidewinders happy at all.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Are you using 1/10 sidewinders uncased or the micro pros? I'm not sure between two different posts above.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #115
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Neither.

The Sidewinder micro, 1/18.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

We had a local that used to run a micro sidewinder on 4s with a 55T motor and he had good luck with them. Of course, this was not in a super.

BTW, how is the drag brake on those ESCs?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #117
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Drag brake actually did not feel that bad. Nothing felt really bad (wheel speed, torque). As said above, a bit more torque would be nice but I am assuming everybody with a super thinks that? I would keep everything the same but with the opportunity to make the ESC survive AND get a touch more torque it seems like a good choice.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Here are some pics of the last two days. Oh, I was not really going for the "Zebra" or "Ted Negent" look, LOL. Panels will be switched out ASAP.

I'm telling you I love that white on black with the white wheels it's off the HOOK!!!

I love this pic and how you can see a silhouette of the knuckle weights

I bet it would look bad ass with some poly beadlock faces...?
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #119
Quarry Creeper

Looks great Erik!

I want some of those wheels... For sure!
Gear Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Wow I'm kind of surprised those lasted that long, but it is cooler now. I have to watch my micro pros in 2.2 during the summer as they heat up fairly quickly.