Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Shane's Comp NN Super Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Ok, need some help. I reduced the weights above to 3oz because i think the rig is too heavy with them. They are 6oz a piece plus each tire, foam, wheel set up is 16oz. So each wheel was 1lb 6oz! Good forward bite but crappy sidehillin'/turning uphill.

The front end is pushing turning up hills and sliding a bit. Essentially making my turns wider and not as sharp as they could be.

When i had no additional weight up front the rig was "light" on the rocks but lacked some uphill traction.

Any suggestions? Lessen the weight still? Just a shot in the dark.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #42
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
Ok, need some help. I reduced the weights above to 3oz because i think the rig is too heavy with them. They are 6oz a piece plus each tire, foam, wheel set up is 16oz. So each wheel was 1lb 6oz! Good forward bite but crappy sidehillin'/turning uphill.

The front end is pushing turning up hills and sliding a bit. Essentially making my turns wider and not as sharp as they could be.

When i had no additional weight up front the rig was "light" on the rocks but lacked some uphill traction.

Joesbruiser said he shortened his front links to get his NN to climb better. I would PM him since you are running the same chassis as him.

Also, are you having the side hill problems with the Plow Boys or X-Locks? I am running Panther Soft compound Plow Boys. I am running 12 ounces in each of the front and 5 ounces in each of the rear. I have Kreepy ruby red foams up front and Kreepy pink foams in the rear. I like the combo so far but the tires still need more breaking in. At a comp over the weekend they made every climb but one and it was a difficult 90 degree hard right turn off a 14 inch ledge and up a 60 degree incline. I could not maneuver my super straight enough to get enough bite to make the climb. Rocked Up Ricky did make it with his Super though and he was the only one to do so. Other than that one climb though, they did every line I pointed them at.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Joesbruiser said he shortened his front links to get his NN to climb better. I would PM him since you are running the same chassis as him.

Also, are you having the side hill problems with the Plow Boys or X-Locks? I am running Panther Soft compound Plow Boys. I am running 12 ounces in each of the front and 5 ounces in each of the rear. I have Kreepy ruby red foams up front and Kreepy pink foams in the rear. I like the combo so far but the tires still need more breaking in. At a comp over the weekend they made every climb but one and it was a difficult 90 degree hard right turn off a 14 inch ledge and up a 60 degree incline. I could not maneuver my super straight enough to get enough bite to make the climb. Rocked Up Ricky did make it with his Super though and he was the only one to do so. Other than that one climb though, they did every line I pointed them at.

Thanks, wouldn't have to thought to change the front link length. I'll pm Joesbruiser and see what he thinks. Or i might search his builds.

The plowboys. I gave up on the x-locks for right now. I spent $200 on the plowboy setup so i better use em. I am using a mix of NWTT Hybrid reach's and my tires are more than broken-in. Like 1 1/2 foams per tire. I might have to get some of those kreepys in the near future.

RockedupRicky is in one of the clubs I am in. He runs those Desert Cats. We have a comp this weekend and Ill hit him up too. He doesn't give very many Super advice tips though. Nah just kiddin' he's top notch with the help.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #44
Old guy

I didn't shorten the front ,I stretch the rear. Joe would know.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Maybe your not to heavy just not heavy enough.?

The wheels on my rig come in at 13.5 each and then I run 14 ounces each front knuckle and 3 ounces each rear knuckle.Anyone who has watched my rig knows it does not loose grip sidehilling.I would say it is my radio setup that is keeping it from pushing but Tyler is running a single ESC with the same weight setup as I am with no pushing issues either.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

thats an aggressive lookin super.
ontherocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
Maybe your not to heavy just not heavy enough.?

The wheels on my rig come in at 13.5 each and then I run 14 ounces each front knuckle and 3 ounces each rear knuckle.Anyone who has watched my rig knows it does not loose grip sidehilling.I would say it is my radio setup that is keeping it from pushing but Tyler is running a single ESC with the same weight setup as I am with no pushing issues either.
Thanks for the info. I just went the complete oppisite direction with weight. Rig is now 7.5lbs. I put in some really soft foams on all four corners (Desert Dog Tires). No weight in the rear and about 6-8 oz up front. Still might take some of that off. I lost about 1/4" of tire height with the softer foam setup.

Don't notice the push as much now. This truck will climb even better now. I am pretty soft on springs up front but could go a bit softer out back (dont have anymore softies for the rear laying around).

I'll try this setup at the comp this weekend. See how it goes. The 35t's are giving me some great wheelspeed with the tire/wheel weight only being about 10oz now. Diggin' up some good verticals now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks88 View Post
thats an aggressive lookin super.
Thanks. Looking for another body. Trying to find an equally bada$$ one as the Excursion.

Link to the wheel/tire setup. Short video there and here too.
Desert Dogs .....(40 series Rovers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsCw4wgkU0s
(Taken about 6 weeks ago)
Old 08-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #48
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I just went the complete oppisite direction with weight. Rig is now 7.5lbs. I put in some really soft foams on all four corners (Desert Dog Tires). No weight in the rear and about 6-8 oz up front. Still might take some of that off. I lost about 1/4" of tire height with the softer foam setup.

Don't notice the push as much now. This truck will climb even better now. I am pretty soft on springs up front but could go a bit softer out back (dont have anymore softies for the rear laying around).

I'll try this setup at the comp this weekend. See how it goes. The 35t's are giving me some great wheelspeed with the tire/wheel weight only being about 10oz now. Diggin' up some good verticals now.

Thanks. Looking for another body. Trying to find an equally bada$$ one as the Excursion.

Link to the wheel/tire setup. Short video there and here too.
Desert Dogs .....(40 series Rovers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsCw4wgkU0s
(Taken about 6 weeks ago)

D@MN 7.5 pound super!?!?! That is crazy lite weight. Do you have any updated pictures?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
D@MN 7.5 pound super!?!?! That is crazy lite weight. Do you have any updated pictures?
Yeah, I know. I couldn't believe it either when I hung it on my fish scale. That is 1lb heavier than my KK ST berg .

We'll see how it handles this time around.

Pictures would be the same. I just removed most of the fish sinker weights I had on the front a while back.
Changed the foams to some of the wide blue Losi MST foams. I cut about 1/2" off of the width of them. I kinda want to try the Ace's Doughnut 3x7's but these stock losi's feel good.

But yeah, I can snap some more later tonight. I need to get some more packs through it before this weekend anyways.

Last edited by Szczerba; 08-04-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #50
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Bro, my Super is a pig compared to yours. Last time I checked it was 13 pounds. I may have to get out the knife. The tires look great. I want to make a set of them for myself but I haven't had the time or funds to buy all the needed rovers to do it. What is your current wheel base and track width with the rovers?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Bro, my Super is a pig compared to yours. Last time I checked it was 13 pounds. I may have to get out the knife. The tires look great. I want to make a set of them for myself but I haven't had the time or funds to buy all the needed rovers to do it. What is your current wheel base and track width with the rovers?
Did some testing tonight. First I ran it with no weight up front. Then I put 7 oz on the front (3.5oz each side).
The wheels/tiresfoams each weigh 12oz. I like the extra 7oz being off the wheels. Gives me quicker wheel speed. It's about 8lbs total rig weight now.
Changed the rear springs to some softer springs I cut down to fit the shocks.
Truck was noticablly better with the weight added up front.

I luckily won 4 of the rovers from a TCS giveway or I probably wouldn't had done it.
The rovers hug the rocks alot better now that i changed to softer foams. Sidehilling is not an issue with the tire/foams cause it's lite.
I know they look all turned over an ready to collapse but the moab side walls do their job (check out the side roll, moabs ain't movin'). Tires are a tad shorter with the new foams, about 6 3/4" now.

Wb= 16 7/8"
Tw= 13 1/2"
Gc= 4 3/4"

Some cheese shots
I need a bigger rock pile.
Attached Images

Last edited by Szczerba; 08-12-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Default New lid

Some white paint and upgrade r/c stickers.

New Holmes Hobbies Handwound 35t's.

Front aluminum axle tubes in the mail.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2009, 12:29 AM   #53
Rock Crawler

Alright! Glad to see an update. Great graphics. Very nice. How about going with white delrin on some of your parts? To go with your theme. Just an idea. Then you could send me your old links. I really like those uppers and lowers and the BTA setup.

Last edited by Ripperfi; 08-20-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #54
RCC Addict

i really like how this rig is turning out. looks like light weight might have some advantages with 8hrs of tire building. now finding time and money to do it.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripperfi View Post
Alright! Glad to see an update. Great graphics. Very nice. How about going with white delrin on some of your parts? To go with your theme. Just an idea. Then you could send me your old links. I really like those uppers and lowers and the BTA setup.
Thanks,
I think I'll keep the black for now. I have more of the black delrin for replacement links as well.
I just ordered some white 40 series wabash wheels. I will be narrowing them down to 1.75" or so.
Links were easy to make. See the first post of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYGOAT View Post
i really like how this rig is turning out. looks like light weight might have some advantages with 8hrs of tire building. now finding time and money to do it.
Thanks.
Yep, The wheels/tires/foams on my old plowboy/xtm setup were very heavy (18oz total each corner). New setup each is 11.5 oz each corner. with only 6oz of weight on the front axle.
Tire building did suck but I will be making some more down in the future.
I'll get some more video tomorrow, more than likely.

Last edited by Szczerba; 08-21-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:29 AM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Hey sweet rig. just wondering how them shock mounts on the links are holding up. I really like the idea, just wondering how they are holding up.
rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockeater View Post
Hey sweet rig. just wondering how them shock mounts on the links are holding up. I really like the idea, just wondering how they are holding up.
Thanks,
No issues what so ever with the link mounts. I flattened a spot on the link, drilled/tapped the delrin a bit, put a few drops of gorilla glue on before I put the mount down, and then screwed the mount to the link. Ain't movin'. I just ordered some more delrin to make another set.

Here are some pictures from the last outing. Desert Dogs worked great.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

So from the Two tires I can see in the Pic's... DD's or Panthers... Which seemed better?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
So from the Two tires I can see in the Pic's... DD's or Panthers... Which seemed better?
Yeah, I made those plowboy's. BByrd has them now.

Plowboys don't like flat rocks. I learned that at a previous comp, that's why I experimented with the rovers to make some super rovers (Desert Dogs) for better overall performance (cause I knew the 2.2's were great).

But Brain can drive his super and make them work great

At Disney, those plowboys will work just fine. I have ran them there before and they hooked up great.

In my opinion, its the Desert Dogs for a better overall tire. But I only have about 10 months of driving the super. 3 outtings with the Desert Dogs.

Just have to set them up with super soft foams and a touch of weight up front.

Last edited by Szczerba; 08-25-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:24 AM   #60
Rock Crawler

Hey, after your refusal to sell me your links and take the easy route, I picked up some 1/2" delrin rod locally. Bought 4 feet of 1/2 and 4.5 feet of 3/8 for less than 10 bucks. Your pictures are rather deceiving. The 1/2 inch rod is freaking huge! I was originally planning on using this for a bully build but quickly realized I should pick up the 3/8 just in case. Ill use the 1/2 for the super build. Anyways, your thread and the steps you took for making your super links are helping me out a lot and just wanted to say thank you. Great build and follow ups. Keep it up Shane.
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote