Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Shane's Comp NN Super Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #61
RCC Addict

what did you use to strip the crome on your chyennes?
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYGOAT View Post
what did you use to strip the crome on your chyennes?

Didn't, just sprayed over the chrome with white paint. You can use steel wool pads with some effort and get that fake chrome off some wheels.

Shane
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
So from the Two tires I can see in the Pic's... DD's or Panthers... Which seemed better?
I liked them, but Shane's right, they aren't as good on the flat smooth stuff. My Moabs with the added Mashers lugs work better at this location.

But at Disney, yes they should be great. Of course, you could run bricks as wheels and still get traction at Disney.

bbyrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
Yeah, I made those plowboy's. BByrd has them now.

Plowboys don't like flat rocks. I learned that at a previous comp, that's why I experimented with the rovers to make some super rovers (Desert Dogs) for better overall performance (cause I knew the 2.2's were great).

But Brain can drive his super and make them work great

At Disney, those plowboys will work just fine. I have ran them there before and they hooked up great.

In my opinion, its the Desert Dogs for a better overall tire. But I only have about 10 months of driving the super. 3 outtings with the Desert Dogs.

Just have to set them up with super soft foams and a touch of weight up front.

I will have to dissagree with you on the flat rock statement.Moab is all flat and my Super Soft Plowbows had no issues.And the same goes for Tyler's SS meatgrinders.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
I will have to dissagree with you on the flat rock statement.Moab is all flat and my Super Soft Plowbows had no issues.And the same goes for Tyler's SS meatgrinders.
Good deal. But Like I said, "In My Opinion" and "I have only been driving supers for 10 months". From my experiences I like the Desert Dogs better.

I probably had the wrong foam setup on the plowboys.

I think I have a setup now that suits my driving style.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Good deal. But Like I said, "In My Opinion" and "I have only been driving supers for 10 months". From my experiences I like the Desert Dogs better.

I probably had the wrong foam setup on the plowboys.

I think I have a setup now that suits my driving style.

If I had to guess it would be the compound difference between your plowboys and mine.But what works for you is all that matters.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #67
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

TXRCRCA had our State final in Llano, TX and it was all smooth granite type rock which produced a flat surface. I ran Soft compound Plowboys and they crawled everything I tried except one small techinical gate section. That one area had more to do with the small ledge and improper four link set up on my Super than the tires.

What compound were your Plowboys?
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:46 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
TXRCRCA had our State final in Llano, TX and it was all smooth granite type rock which produced a flat surface. I ran Soft compound Plowboys and they crawled everything I tried except one small techinical gate section. That one area had more to do with the small ledge and improper four link set up on my Super than the tires.

What compound were your Plowboys?
They were medium soft (T125MS). DIdn't know there was a super soft.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
They were medium soft (T125MS). DIdn't know there was a super soft.
Man no wonder they were not working.
Soft is the softest compound avaliable to the general public, that is the same compound as the cougar.The medium soft that you had is a big difference from the soft.I would say Cougars and Axial Lizards would be a good comparision between the two.
The team drivers were able to get them in Super Soft wich is even stickier but they will not sell them because of how fast they wear and they have to trash a bunch of tires right out of the mold because the compound is so hard to work with from what I understand.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #70
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
Man no wonder they were not working.
Soft is the softest compound avaliable to the general public, that is the same compound as the cougar.The medium soft that you had is a big difference from the soft.I would say Cougars and Axial Lizards would be a good comparision between the two.
The team drivers were able to get them in Super Soft wich is even stickier but they will not sell them because of how fast they wear and they have to trash a bunch of tires right out of the mold because the compound is so hard to work with from what I understand.

X2 on the difference between Medium Soft and Soft compound.

I was told the same thing when I asked Panther about the Super Soft compound. I can only imagine how soft Super soft is and how fast they must wear out. My Soft compound plowboys on my super show the wear of 30 battery packs but I have only ran 15 or so on them. Super soft must wear at like 3:1.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Default Had to do it.

When I saw the new Panther Leopards, first thing I thought about was making some for my super. Well here they are.
I narrowed up some Pro-Line Wabash wheels to 1.8" and bought 6 leopards and 4 moabs.
That leopard rubber compound is crazy, They were sticking together without glue.

It's been raining like crazy and won't stop, so no testing other than carpet and wall climbs. Foam is custom mixture, and it's adjustable .

About 7.2" by 2" wide and 11oz wheel/foam/tire each.
I'll need to adjust the shock limiters. Due to the bigger tires, I need more flexy. Ground clearance is greatly improved. Time will tell if they are worth a damn.
Attached Images

Last edited by Szczerba; 09-15-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #72
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Those look good Huge I can't wait to see them in person at Disney.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

Your quite skilled. This has turned out to be one of my favorite threads. Thanks. Oh yea, quick question. I used your drill and grinder method for tapering my links. Did you do it by eye or did you have some sort of mark to get them all even?
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #74
Hateraide

SSSSSSSIiiiiiiiiiick tires great job dude
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Those look good Huge I can't wait to see them in person at Disney.
Thanks, I had them at Disney this past weekend but didnt have foams for them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripperfi View Post
Your quite skilled. This has turned out to be one of my favorite threads. Thanks. Oh yea, quick question. I used your drill and grinder method for tapering my links. Did you do it by eye or did you have some sort of mark to get them all even?
Thanks. I just eyeballed cutting the leopard beads off. I got better at mating the leopard sections, so the tires dont have the wrinkle in them. These took half the time of the Desert Dogs. I spent alot of time un sticking the leopard rubber from itself. Ultra sticky when it touches other panther rubber.

I marked the links all at like 3/4'' or something. cant remember the distance. Just scored it with a razor blade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
SSSSSSSIiiiiiiiiiick tires great job dude
Thanks. Have too see if they'll work. They're pretty tall.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

Thumbs up

Good job, they look great and i bet there going to impress you on the rocks. I know what your sayn about the rain 7 days straight here.I just heard on the news some part of AK has had 9inchs of rain What size hexs are your wheels??
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Thanks. Yep, the upper level low is just spinning right on top of us here in SW AR. Rain for days.

TTR cvd's 12mm, then using a 12mm-23mm 1/2" adapter/widener. So wheels are 23mm,. They are just some cheap pro-line wabash revo wheels i narrowed down to 1.8"
Old 09-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #78
Old guy

Shane and I had the same thought when we saw theses tires, I have my 6 here but haven't got them made yet.

I saw Shane this last weekend and I looking forward to seeing them run.
Good job Shane.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #79
I wanna be Dave

shane....
im getn a super!!!
may need ya to make me a set of super comp claws.
be in touch w ya!
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Nice...
Super sized comp claws would be cool. Just let me know. I am getting good with the moab sidewall and 2.2 half tops. If that is what you want.

Have to think of a super-sized name for them.

My prototype "foams" seem to be working good with the pizza cutter type tires/wheels.

Last edited by Szczerba; 09-29-2009 at 10:55 AM.