Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: tamiya bruiser CR-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Awesome pics! Good thing the camera survived
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

just got some new parts in the mail: roche rear straight axle hubs, GPM steel drive shafts, 1.9 proline flat irons and axial 1.9 beadlocks and a 2200 thunder power 2s lipo battery. i got the rear straight axles on but i think i will wait till i blow through my last stock drive shaft before i install the GPM steel ones, very reasonable at $20 including shipping and i have always had success with GPM part on my old TT-01.

got some spare parts now.

this is my spot.

i will report on the GPM drive shafts when i pop em in.
thanks.

Last edited by cydog510; 04-14-2010 at 11:10 AM.
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Looks really good. Makes me want to put one of my Pickup bodies on.

Is the front GPM drive shaft too long like the 3 racing one? I have 3 racing drive shafts on my unit and the front one travel binds when both front springs are fully depressed.

Last edited by rabfan; 04-15-2010 at 09:54 PM.
rabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #24
RCC Addict

I just bought STRC rear axle lock outs yesterday from rpphobby.com They are silver though, they didnt have black in stock anymore. I'll report back when they get here.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:36 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabfan View Post
Looks really good. Makes me want to put one of my Pickup bodies on.

Is the front GPM drive shaft too long like the 3 racing one? I have 3 racing drive shafts on my unit and the front one travel binds when both front springs are fully depressed.
they are both the same length, have yet to install, but i will let you know, i think when i put them in, the next thing to fail in the drive train will be the crumbling bevel gear....

but i'll wait till my last plastic one fails. man, what a great chassis!
Old 04-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog510 View Post
they are both the same length, have yet to install, but i will let you know, i think when i put them in, the next thing to fail in the drive train will be the crumbling bevel gear....

I know! I'm having a blast with mine!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #27
Rock Stacker

What's the feedback on those driveshafts?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

have yet to throw em on, gonna wait till my last plastic one blows.
i'll let you know though, they look VERY solid and well made.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

here's some action pics on 1.9's, i put the springs back in, the full droop was not working for me. 1.9's look so good, much less like a monster truck, but the loss of crawling capability is very noticable. i have decided i will rock crawl with the hammer 2.2's and trail run with the flat iron 1.9's

Old 04-25-2010, 03:22 AM   #30
Rock Stacker

The cliff crawlers that came with my CR-01 Bronco are awesome. I can't imagine any other tire performing better for what I do with my rig.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

yea, the cliff crawlers are great, but if you get a chance to try a proline tyre, they are incredible!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Looks good on 1.9s. They are trying to get me to run 1.9s on my rig at the scale comps, they hint at it every now and then
Old 04-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

they are pretty sweet, but not as good as 2.2's
Old 04-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog510 View Post

they almost look as if the shafts are too long, by the bites in the pinion bevel gear.

I'd guess your drive shaft is floating somewhat, and that at times under full articulation, your binding your bevel gears too much. Hence the bites out of the gear.

Try: check your drive shaft under full compression, is it forcing your pinion into the case?

You've got something going on there, and I would almost think a shim or two in the right place will help. Something is forcing your pinion into the ring gear tho......? I would guess drive shaft, but cannot be sure without further info.....
bang-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

you are "bang-on", i tore them down this afternoon and turns out i am an idiot and neglected to put the bearing in diff behind the pinion.....so yes, indeed it was floating around in a HUGE way.
seeing you are in vancouver, you should check out my UBC spot, it is near a bunch of developments that are going up, huge pile, and there is a huge steep pile of dirt just beside it. here is the google map:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=sa...N&hl=en&tab=wl

it is basically on the corner of benton ave and birney ave. stumbled apon it after a trail runnin pacific spirit park. i have quite the coarse set up goin on, i was there last night, hella rain so the soil was really soft, moved a bunch of rocks to create more lines, you can even run at night, there are street lights.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Default 3racing winch and steel drive shafts

so i got a 3racing winch, i have to say, BUY ONE! at 25$ shipped, it is well worth the look, not to mention that the damn thing works, and well! all you need to mount is an L shaped peice of aluminium, or any metal drill, then bolt on, easy as. i mounted the controller just under the front right wheel well, where i can manually control it, i also wrapped the controller in plastic wrap and a peice of electrical tape for a bit of resistance to water. the spot i run at has some steep sections, so i set up some "winching stations", bent re-bar hiding at the top of the "hill", after twisting my last plastic shaft, i popped in the GMP steel drive shafts, they are working out as expected, just gotta be cautious of binding, i feel as thought the diffs will suffer.

Photobucket

and a quick vid, had to cut the vid short to disengage the recoil manually, just this evening added much longer steel cable.

Last edited by cydog510; 05-20-2010 at 01:55 AM. Reason: add video.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

I am waiting for my rc4wd winch to arrive soon.... I am going to install it in my CR-01 just as you did (like everyone does I think). I am just wondering how are you tieing up the steal cable to the winch... I have a very nice and thin steal cable I used in model airplanes but I didn't figure how to make a knot on it or how to tie it down to the winch and the hook. I have also another rig that has a inboard winch that I made from scratch, and I had to use a normal synthetic cable.....
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

for the hook i just used needle nose pliers, a fisherman's not and a lot of force! but for the actual winch, it has a grub screw that will hold whatever you want.
another quick vid.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
for the hook i just used needle nose pliers, a fisherman's not and a lot of force!
Maybe my steal cable is just too thick than.... I don't think I would be able to do a knot with it.
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

another one.

Tags
bruiser, cr-01, hilux, tamiya