Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: WOW---another TLT buildup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2006, 05:42 AM   #61
Rock Crawler

Default cool...

looks good and scale... i may have already asked you this... and you probably have already posted it... but just once more for the record...

whats the wheelbase measure? --- it looks dead-on perfect fit for that rubicon body
WRXronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2006, 11:05 AM   #62
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab
Thanks rick for the brake fluid trick. --worked like a champ.
No Probem.....That looks much better now!!!! But wheres the white scalops??
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:49 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by customxprone1
Good point on the grill/winch.....I think that just sold me on the bronco bod. Quick question for ya...Do you know if you fill a hole with JB, can it be drilled after drying? Basiclly I effed up and drillled my holes for my links on one side to low and am afraid after wheeling it that I will just rip them from the frame. Also where(mesurement wise) did you drill yours?
I think if the JB weld is done properly it will hold up. Its not like these things weigh 30-40lbs.. As for my link config. I just lopped 1" off the bottom of the chassis, mounted the pede trans and then drilled holes down low... This alum. is tricky to drill, you definatly have to watch it while you drill since you not only get deflection from the small drill bit but the alum. is so soft the drill bit will walk over..

I am thinking the next body will also be an EB (early bronco)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:50 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXronald
looks good and scale... i may have already asked you this... and you probably have already posted it... but just once more for the record...

whats the wheelbase measure? --- it looks dead-on perfect fit for that rubicon body
11"
Old 02-22-2006, 11:50 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RnrRick
No Probem.....That looks much better now!!!! But wheres the white scalops??
It was blue scalops
Old 02-23-2006, 11:10 PM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I think if the JB weld is done properly it will hold up. Its not like these things weigh 30-40lbs.. As for my link config. I just lopped 1" off the bottom of the chassis, mounted the pede trans and then drilled holes down low... This alum. is tricky to drill, you definatly have to watch it while you drill since you not only get deflection from the small drill bit but the alum. is so soft the drill bit will walk over..

I am thinking the next body will also be an EB (early bronco)
Yea thats exactly what happend, it walked off where i had a mark. I already got some new plates lined up to buy sooo I think I'll just do that.
customxprone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:12 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yea thats exactly what happend, it walked off where i had a mark. I already got some new plates lined up to buy sooo I think I'll just do that.
cool.....

I gotta hand it to towerhobbies--they rock. Ordered on monday and got a package today. spare inner axles/knuckles. Got 3 different spring rates to play with and 40w oil for the shocks
Old 02-23-2006, 11:18 PM   #68
Pebble Pounder

yea so this time im not gunna cut the bottom off untill i get all my holes drilled and what not...grrrrr:(
Old 03-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Well. I went and did it again. Popped another short side inner. But this time I had the tire bound up and was screwing off and heard this cute lil pop

But here you can tell the difference between the stock(broken) and the replacement shaft thickness difference. Now on towerhobbies they show only one # for either tlt's.

Last edited by crash; 01-14-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

So I have been tweeking this thing more to get rid of the torque twist. I tried a couple different spring rates and tried a different valve in the shocks. They have both helped. So I went ahead and tried to change the shock location on the body to get the shock a little more verticle. For starters I decided to go ahead and just do the rears and at the same time I went and went to a softer spring since with the stiffer shock/spring I was finding it harder to get the rig to flex(if I went forward/back slightly it would flex). Well I found the torque twist has once again improved.

So I figure I will continue to add tabs/sections to the chassis plates and once I get it figured out I will go ahead and make new ones...

Last edited by crash; 01-14-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:48 PM   #71
Pebble Pounder

awsome build man, been following this build the whole way while building my TLT. Great info and awsome working/looking rig!

Christian
Old 03-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #72
Pebble Pounder

wait a minute...so the replacement shafts you got were thicker where they are necked down???? Weeeeirrrddddd...
Old 03-06-2006, 10:53 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
wait a minute...so the replacement shafts you got were thicker where they are necked down???? Weeeeirrrddddd...
From what I had read the climber shafts were thicker in the area where they neck down but the only shafts I found were for both tlt's..

I just wish I had more time to put into this lil rig as I think I could do more impressive work--these damn things I tell ya
Old 03-06-2006, 10:56 PM   #74
Pebble Pounder

haha how weird...I hear ya on time...going to school really takes up the majority of my day...and my little dorm room cant hold much more lol. Its starting to look like a mix between a hobby shop and a home depot

Christian
Old 03-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well. I went and did it again. Popped another short side inner. But this time I had the tire bound up and was screwing off and heard this cute lil pop
Mike,
Have you talked to Bobby yet about Cryo'ing the TLT shafts? I wonder if the metal which these are made of could have it done? :?
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #76
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
Mike,
Have you talked to Bobby yet about Cryo'ing the TLT shafts? I wonder if the metal which these are made of could have it done? :?
that would be bad a$$...your little sig about mini pro rocks might be coming true
Old 03-06-2006, 11:08 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

ha ha ha... Ya know, I might try that... I just talked to him (had to thank his wife for the chilli recipe) and totoaly spaced asking him about it....
Old 03-06-2006, 11:11 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
that would be bad a$$...your little sig about mini pro rocks might be coming true
There are 2 things I need to finish off my massive tool selection. An 8ft lathe and a mill of some kind---I will build one some day
Old 03-06-2006, 11:15 PM   #79
Pebble Pounder

haha...tlk about scale! w/ ARBs right??
Old 03-06-2006, 11:28 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
haha...tlk about scale! w/ ARBs right??
But of course. Haven't ran anything but arb's in years(and my azz is still sore from the last one I bought for my new front,lol)