Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya TLT Crawlers
Loading

Notices

Thread: It's 2011, and I'm building a TLT...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave
 
cartronicshn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HONDURAS...ROCK HEAVEN
Posts: 4,973
Default

Great build, look what you made do, i just dusted them down

cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #62
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINister View Post
Hows the flex on this setup? I've got a pair of tlt axles that served me well on my first comp rig and would love to do something like this with them.
The flex is honestly horrible. I get maybe an inch and a half... 4 link setups are the way to go!

But, I am planning on going back to a 4-link chassis soon. I've been in contact with a few people, and I believe I have everything tracked down except for shocks... (and money)
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #63
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Great build, look what you made do, i just dusted them down


I freaking love that Toyota! Build thread? Specs?
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave
 
cartronicshn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HONDURAS...ROCK HEAVEN
Posts: 4,973
Default

Sure thing,
Link,
Cartronicshn's fj-40 build

Specs
-r2 tranny
- eritex transfer
- mamba 25
- c.c. bec
- tamiya fj 4o body
- 3013 outrunner
- hpi stock car wheels with scale shop rings
- pro line flat iron
- acoms 4ch reciever/radio
- led light kit
-1.9 flat irons
-home made chassis, 3/4 inch plexi
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:36 AM   #65
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oak Ridge, TN
Posts: 1,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grob23 View Post
The flex is honestly horrible. I get maybe an inch and a half... 4 link setups are the way to go!

But, I am planning on going back to a 4-link chassis soon. I've been in contact with a few people, and I believe I have everything tracked down except for shocks... (and money)
Well I'll have to find something else to do with them then. Maybe someone will want them or maybe an excuse to dive into scalers.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #66
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,212
Default

cartronicshn: is that the Tamiya FJ 40 body from a CR-01 kit?

and SINister: build a scaler! TLT's are pretty much the perfect width
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave
 
cartronicshn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HONDURAS...ROCK HEAVEN
Posts: 4,973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grob23 View Post
cartronicshn: is that the Tamiya FJ 40 body from a CR-01 kit?

and SINister: build a scaler! TLT's are pretty much the perfect width
Yup, i had a fj wacker body for the cr-01(slightly longer wb than the tamiya's)
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #68
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Yup, i had a fj wacker body for the cr-01(slightly longer wb than the tamiya's)
If I ever decide to build another scaler, I'll have to pick one up! Thanks for the info
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cuba
Posts: 324
Default

Might as well toss a pic of my new build with TLTs in here too

champ198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jefferson City
Posts: 343
Default

Since champ posted up his new TLT build, I'll throw mine into the ring. I've been keeping this under wraps for a while now, but decided to finally post some pics. I am going to try and do a build thread later on, once I get everything ironed out. The design is similar to the Mantis, but is designed specifically for a shaft-based axle (instead of MOA). Chassis plates are made from 1/8" Lexan and links are cutting board material. I am using a TA04 steering knuckle as a carrier bearing (seen just above the rear link). I am going to try and stuff my Evader Pro tranny in, but I have a Mini-Revo transmission that may find its way in there instead.



Before rear links:





10" high hearth wall:



Bird's-eye view:

bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #71
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brussels
Posts: 616
Default

Great looking rig , remind me the ''Dahu''


Uploaded with ImageShack.us
AlexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jefferson City
Posts: 343
Default

It is similar to the Dahu as well. There are a lot of similarities between the Dahu and the Mantis as well. But, unfortunate for me both chassis are for MOA axles. I decided to be stubborn and see if I could do a similar design with shaft-driven axles.
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #73
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brussels
Posts: 616
Default

Yes that's what I was wondering, I saw those shaft hagging out

Great work keep those shafty alive
AlexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #74
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,212
Default

bugman72: That thing is sick! I love the idea of re-making an MOA chassis specifically for a shafty. I would love to see finished pics and/or a video of it running...

I'm still rounding up parts, but at this point it's looking like it might take a while before I see a running rig again... I hate paypal, beards rule, and long live TLT's!
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jefferson City
Posts: 343
Default

Thanks Grob! Why should all of the MOA guys have the cool chassis? I will definitely have a video or two once I've got it finished. Like I mentioned earlier, I plan to make a build thread once it's all finished. I'll be tearing it back down once all of the pieces are made so I remove all of the protective film from the lexan. Gotta show of my sexy CLEAR crawler chassis.
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #76
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,212
Default

Well... seeing all these TLTs has convinced me to finally get off my duff and get to work! I ordered Hellstrom plates, they're undrilled so I get to have a little fun with a drill. I also ordered links, braces, and a skid... All I have left to figure out is shocks (I'm leaning towards either cheapo plastic Maxx units, or take-offs from a stock wraith...) I don't care, I just need shocks!

And I gotta figure out how I'm going to mount the rear upper links...

All that, and a few hours to assemble, and I'll be crawling! (I can't wait...)
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lost in Oregon
Posts: 4,415
Default

Wow...
Here's the score....my son scored one of these TLT trucks in trade for some work he did...turns out he hasn't the time to work on it....so I inherit it...nice!
I've been reading for days now...all I get is it's old...but reliable and workable... I have some questions for you TLT pro's

Can you still get parts ?
What can I do with the stock chassis ? I want a tuber I think...or a bodiless...
I'm looking forward to seeing this in real life....I've never seen one...I'm also interested in doing a scaler build....sounds like that's a possibility also.

I have a mantis Bugman....your build is very interesting
Thanks for this thread BTW....
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #78
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: here
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
Wow...
Here's the score....my son scored one of these TLT trucks in trade for some work he did...turns out he hasn't the time to work on it....so I inherit it...nice!
I've been reading for days now...all I get is it's old...but reliable and workable... I have some questions for you TLT pro's

Can you still get parts ?
What can I do with the stock chassis ? I want a tuber I think...or a bodiless...
I'm looking forward to seeing this in real life....I've never seen one...I'm also interested in doing a scaler build....sounds like that's a possibility also.

I have a mantis Bugman....your build is very interesting
Thanks for this thread BTW....
WOW! Lucky you! Yes you can still get parts. Check places such as The Crawler Store, RC4WD and CKRC. Those are my favorite places to go for parts anyway. You can also check Tower Hobbies and Stormer Hobbies.
Not sure what you would do with the chassis. If you are thinking tuber, more than likely you will ditch the main chassis and just use the axles. The axles are the most sought after part anyway. IMO.
Good luck to you. You are going to have a blast with this. Aren't the possibilities just endless as to what you will be able to do with this?

I would say scaler all the way but that's me. I don't want to sway your thoughts.
dkur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lost in Oregon
Posts: 4,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
Wow...
Here's the score....my son scored one of these TLT trucks in trade for some work he did...turns out he hasn't the time to work on it....so I inherit it...nice!
I've been reading for days now...all I get is it's old...but reliable and workable... I have some questions for you TLT pro's

Can you still get parts ?
What can I do with the stock chassis ? I want a tuber I think...or a bodiless...
I'm looking forward to seeing this in real life....I've never seen one...I'm also interested in doing a scaler build....sounds like that's a possibility also.

I have a mantis Bugman....your build is very interesting
Thanks for this thread BTW....
Oh man...decisions decisions.......I've been eyeing the scalers...but I want a tuber that's nasty too....you are right...I think the axles are the keepers...everything is a toss up after that....thanks for the comments ...dealt with all the vendors you've mentioned...look forward to holding this in my hands...



Quote:
Originally Posted by dkur View Post
WOW! Lucky you! Yes you can still get parts. Check places such as The Crawler Store, RC4WD and CKRC. Those are my favorite places to go for parts anyway. You can also check Tower Hobbies and Stormer Hobbies.
Not sure what you would do with the chassis. If you are thinking tuber, more than likely you will ditch the main chassis and just use the axles. The axles are the most sought after part anyway. IMO.
Good luck to you. You are going to have a blast with this. Aren't the possibilities just endless as to what you will be able to do with this?

I would say scaler all the way but that's me. I don't want to sway your thoughts.
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #80
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 31
Default

Love the TLT builds from 05 up. Have to say that Orange FJ JUMPED out at me. Wish I could find a true Toy vs the non licensed version that quickly replaced it back in the day. Love Orange.
TRD Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com