Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: torque twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default torque twist

first this is a tlt 12.5" wheelbase does having the top links mounted on the chassis higher than parralel to the bottom links fight twist or should they be less than parralel to top links to fight twist?also its a cudtom lay down chassis.ive played with shock oil and springs and have improved the twist was wondering if top links pointed more down words than parralel would help fight twist or the top links pointed mor up in comparison to bottom links would fight twist.Second has any one tried to mount the motor horizontal in the chassis so it would force the front end down with torque of the motor? T.I.A.
rockmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Hello, I'll only try to answer to your second question, I'm actually building a tansversal motor using a maxx front diff as tranny,not yet finished

206 crawler W.I.P.

,but already, I'll say you three things: when the motor start to turn the mass in movement can create a force pulling on the front..or on the rear depending of the direction it turns, and finally this will never eliminate totally the torque twist ,cause when you face a wall the motor try to turn the shaft transmiting power to the axle trying itself to turns the wheels, but as they"re locked here the axle transmit back the rotation force to the chassis by the shaft, and the tranversal motor won't help anyway here .

Last edited by SilverRidge; 07-28-2006 at 01:32 PM.
SilverRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmike
first this is a tlt 12.5" wheelbase does having the top links mounted on the chassis higher than parralel to the bottom links fight twist or should they be less than parralel to top links to fight twist?
Squat or anti squat...

Parallel links tend to create a floating point of link convergence, not easy to map out on a graph.

More antisquat will help reduce the torque twist. Just try it, make some adjustments. It's pretty cool to watch.
Attached Images

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
Squat or anti squat...

Parallel links tend to create a floating point of link convergence, not easy to map out on a graph.

More antisquat will help reduce the torque twist. Just try it, make some adjustments. It's pretty cool to watch.
cool so loking at youre diagram i need to move the botom links as well as the top links.the way my links are set they would never reach a point like you show the top links are angled mor up and the bottom links are perfectly level.thanks for youre input &help with this.this is one reason why i got into rc crawlin so i could learn about 4links so when i build one under my 1:1 rig ill have a clue.later more input is very welcome. thanks.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
Keep it real

Hey Mike,
I just totally changed my rigs setup since goldendale. I shortened the wheelbase from 13" to 12" and moved my upper and lower links. I also lowered the under chassis clearance from 4.25" down to 3". It made a world of difference. Not sure exactly what I did but right now my lower links are angled up just a hair, maybe 1/4" and the uppers are level. Now the torque twist is a whole lot better than it was. Hope this helps.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis
Hey Mike,
I just totally changed my rigs setup since goldendale. I shortened the wheelbase from 13" to 12" and moved my upper and lower links. I also lowered the under chassis clearance from 4.25" down to 3". It made a world of difference. Not sure exactly what I did but right now my lower links are angled up just a hair, maybe 1/4" and the uppers are level. Now the torque twist is a whole lot better than it was. Hope this helps.
right on tanis thats kinda what im getting from eepee's diagram i think im going to try this especialy since your basicly conferming this ill try it this weekend and ill report back my findings and we all can learn somthing from this.Do you have a 1:1 trail rig tanis? thanks for chimin in bud it was a pleasure meetin you at goldendale. later
Old 07-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
Keep it real

Mike, I don't have a trail rig anymore. Got out of 1:1 'cause it was too expensive. Maybe it was my driving style, hammer down with 400 horsepower? I really enjoyed meeting you also. I really liked the setup you had on your rig for disconnecting the rear driveshaft and locking up the rear. That worked awesome. My daughter has taken a big interest in crawling so now I'm building her TLT. I'm still borrowing the hummer from my other daughter because she only drives it like 2 min. then she's done.Maybe someday I'll get my 2.2 clod build started. I want to use a stick radio like yours then I can set it up with 4ws and front and rear dig.

Last edited by Tanis; 07-28-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:00 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

:-( I was kinda bummed that we didn't get to do any crawling today, Oh well my crap is still in pieces and my DX6 isn't here yet anyways.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:24 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL
:-( I was kinda bummed that we didn't get to do any crawling today, Oh well my crap is still in pieces and my DX6 isn't here yet anyways.
adam said some jackass kicked off the waterfall so i guess that place is past tense
Old 07-31-2006, 12:47 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

LIKES2CRAWL - Yes I'm running the motor backwards. I'd preferred to have to motor on the right side to help the torque roll issue.

This is what RIKPAL said to me in his thread about his laydown BULU2 thread, might be somthing to try Mike.

Oh and that sucks about the waterfall place, I'll have to go check it out anyways.....
Old 07-31-2006, 12:50 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

ya that was my thinkin the motor is on the right side ya you bet i think i know where its at when you get youre stuff together lets go try it if they bitch at us well kick there *** and pee in his butt
Old 07-31-2006, 12:55 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
ya that was my thinkin the motor is on the right side
Good thing my mount setup on the chasis is mirror image and all I have to do is switch the links around for a 60/40 setup on either side I'll have to try it both ways and see if it dose make a difrence......well I'm going to go get ready for work, I'll check this thread later when I get off.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:04 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

i redid my links for more antisquat woooow it helped alot i could climb at48* angle and start to pull the right front up and start braking traction now i walk right up that same angle.so i made it 56*angle almost climb that angle then it pulls the front up brakes traction,so ill dink with the links and see if i can puul off that angle ,its gettin pretty steep made it crawl the rock pile in the shop better also this is gettin fun ,i luv it when mods go the right direction

Last edited by rockmike; 07-31-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:13 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Did you put a little weight on/in your front wheels?. That will help a little too.
S-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:13 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Directions to the waterfall:

from Columbia Park Trail, turn south (up the hill) on rockwood drive into Hills West housing development. Turn right on Adair Drive. Turn right onto Allenwhite Drive and continue until you see the Sundance entrance waterall/sign on your left.
DUIdirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:40 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Dog
Did you put a little weight on/in your front wheels?. That will help a little too.
ihave not let i was thinkin of going with the plastic bb's and no foams watcha think how much wieght would you recomend to start with im runin mashhers.Thanx for the directions duidirk i assume youknow adam? well have to get every one in T.C. together have a fun run.p.m. me anytime and well do this sunday's are my only day off.Usually dont get home till 7:00 or 7:30 during the week sucks *** getting home so late 11 hour days every week is taking there toll on me.Ineed to crawl or wheel to keep me sane.

Last edited by rockmike; 07-31-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:43 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I am adam, dixon ticonderoga on warcrc. I never ended up going out on sunday b/c the boat races went so long and I was beat/drunk. let me know anytime you hit up the waterfall, i will go if i can. I live at 405 riverwood st. during the summers until i go back to WSU mid august. You will probably see it on your way there if you go. I will PM my number. Later.
DUIdirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:27 PM   #18
Keep it real

Quote:
i redid my links for more antisquat woooow it helped alot i could climb at48* angle and start to pull the right front up and start braking traction now i walk right up that same angle.so i made it 56*angle almost climb that angle then it pulls the front up brakes traction,so ill dink with the links and see if i can puul off that angle ,its gettin pretty steep made it crawl the rock pile in the shop better also this is gettin fun ,i luv it when mods go the right direction
Hey mike, glad to hear that your truck is getting better for you. It is always nice and encouraging when you change something and your truck gets better. I need to redo my foams. They were new at goldendale and now that they have broken in, they seem to have disintegrated and it's like I'm running on flat tires. The sidewall is really soft on the redrocks so I think I'll just put uncut foams in and when they break in they'll be just right. I hope.....
Old 08-01-2006, 12:20 AM   #19
Nope..

Man this thread helped me a lot. I never figured anti squat had much to do with TT
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:12 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

keep posting youre findings as you adjust youre links and ill do the same and like i said earlier wellall learn somthing and all are trucks will work morebetter:-P :-P tanis is that shatty that doug is talking about bugging out on the nwwheelers site.Iremember somone else saying the stock r.r.foams are junk.Ill be at rimrock on labor day weekend maybe we could hook up that weekend and do some crawlin.

Last edited by rockmike; 08-01-2006 at 09:16 AM.