Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: EP's 14'r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
MODERATOR™

Thumbs up EP's 14'r

I took my "Basic" TXT build, and turned it into a 14'r!

Super easy, took the shorter links that came with the kit, and put those back on the bottom, then found links that would work for the uppers. The rear axle is angled back, for a future project in the name of clearance. But this truck can climb steps as it is no problem. Wheelbase is at 13 15/16".

I've had this built for a while and put on some miles already. I used to have the tranny upside down, but finally decided to flip it back the right way, as the motor was getting beat on hard as it was hanging WAAAAAY low, and acted as a skidplate way too often.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Looks really good EP!

I really like the TXT frame for a smaller rig. I know it's not a shafty, but if you get a chance check out the link in my sig for my 2.2 Clod with a cut TXT.

Way to use what you got!
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
2006 2.2 National Champ

Looks sweet. What are you running for gearing and motor? Any lack of torque issues?
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Looks good. Can't wait to see it in person. I like how you have the tires. You can turn the body around and it still looks right.
polyophio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:08 PM   #5
MODERATOR™

Thanks guys. It's great how many different set ups I've come up with for this thing! I love it.

I'm using a 65 turn motor with a 9 tooth pinion. The motor has smoked and fried once, and is down on power. I haven't cleaned it, or opened it up yet, just kept driving on it. It's a nice light and smoke show sometimes.

But even when it was brand new, it was way too slow (with a 9 tooth). Not even a walking pace. If you've ever driven a TXT with only one lathe motor, be it a 55 turn, or 65 turn, you'll have some stall issues. But better driving helps reduce that, and it's not that bad.

I'll get a video posted when I feel better, and get it on the rocks.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyophio
I like how you have the tires. You can turn the body around and it still looks right.

They definately grab mo' betta on backwards. But at Glen Echo Park sometimes I need the rears to clear out the dirt. With the rears on backwards, they just pack on the dirt. And then maybe even since they don't grab as well, it'll help the truck from flipping over.

Well, the idear is there.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:17 PM   #7
v33
Rock Crawler

what shafts are those? when i tried the revo shafts on a 13.5" config it needed shortening, so i opted for a 16" to try first and it works great. the thing is, i keep starring at it and think i like the 13.5 inch look ... maybe i should build another one by selling my clods axles!

btw, from a 15.5 to a 13.5 she definitely is a looker ... really love your build!
v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Looks great, love the 72 Chevy!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:44 AM   #9
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by v33
what shafts are those?

Maxx shafts
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:04 AM   #10
MODERATOR™

Even a sleep deprived TC can be right sometimes! They are Maxx driveshafts.

Thanks for the compliments.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

EP, love the 14'r. This WB and style of txt is really catching on, love the 14" wb. How is your COG? less than 3" ? are you running any foam with those mashers?
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:26 AM   #12
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
Even a sleep deprived TC can be right sometimes! They are Maxx driveshafts.

Thanks for the compliments.
You ain't kiddin :neutral:
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:24 PM   #13
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimoger
How is your COG? less than 3" ? are you running any foam with those mashers?
It'll almost stand on it's side, there's 3 1/2 inches of center clearance.

I have the foams from 2.2 Mashers, uncut, inside. Works damn good.

Added in that the wheels are air tight as Maximizers come from the factory.

Last edited by EeePee; 03-29-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Stock TXT's arnt 15.5 that is what my freinds lenthed TXT is...they around 14.5...we moved each link.5-.6 inches further forward streighted out the links spaced them about 1 inch apart and made shock mounts for savage shocks...he needs heavier then the 10wt that comes them maybe some 45 weight and a stiffer spring set in it to much torque now...hoping to solve that with the springs and oil if not we have to fab more shock mounts to stright the axle up a little more and take out some artic it is just to much 90deg worth (maybe not depends on if the stiffer springs make it more controlable or not...we are hoping)

But hey man that thing looks sick and fairly scale!!

Duke
DUKEMURMUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #15
MODERHATER™

Who said the stock wheelbase is 15.5????? Sweet truck EP! Would a behind the axle servo set up work in this application? This will make good use of my txt so i can build a better 2.2 than the tlt! Thanks for the write-up!

Last edited by 666; 04-02-2006 at 02:08 PM.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:12 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

eeepee as you know im trying to build something like your truck... i love the 14" look. if you could get some more pics of the link shock and tranny mounts that would be really helpful.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:50 PM   #17
MODERATOR™

Yeah, I don't see why a servo couldn't be placed in back. Like Bender's mount I guess?

The link and shock mount is just the stock grey plastic bumper cut up a little bit.

The tranny is held in by the two screws into the side ears of the tranny. That's it. Then on the bottom it's located with two braces. It's not even tight, and it's held up to some serious hits. No real skidplate either.

And I went to a different motor set up.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2006, 11:27 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

awesome eeepee that idea for the braces on either side of the tranny popped into my head like 5min before i read that. lol... and where did you get the maxx shafts and how much does it take to make them work? i dont really like my stock shafts i need something with more slip travel to it. with out shocks on the front of my txt the shaft is a serious limiting factor.

ive got the same thing going on for the lower mounts on the axles... and looking at yours i figured out how to eliminate my lower link problem... i havent cut those things down like you have and the lower link is way out towards the end of the axle making it to where i had to put the lower link on the outside of the chassis, and the links were hitting the chassis and limiting articulation. im gonna set mine up like yours later today EP, and see how it works.

referring to this pic:

Last edited by dieselfuel; 04-04-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #19
MODERATOR™

You can get the Maxx shafts anywhere that has Traxxas stuff. All my local hobby shops have them.

I think you need to trim a little ring off the end of the universals, so the through hole lines up for the set screw/pin. Some people shaved down the diameter of the tranny side, because it rubs a very small bit. I didn't, I just let it rub itself free.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

cool im gonna have to get a set.... but my WB is only like 12 3/4" will they work?