Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: "ROCTAPUS"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2005, 04:19 PM   #141
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
Not to sound like a redundant idiot, or more of one, but you fit Clod sized tires, on StableMaxx wheels?
Correct, they go on a little tight, but it's not bad. I'm running a foam insert for the maxx sized rim too.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2005, 06:29 PM   #142
Quarry Creeper

hey bender any luck with those photos?

i am going to be honest with you. i am going to use your idea and make a set of servo mounts like yours. hope this is ok... i really like your setup
wally187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:59 PM   #143
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally187

i am going to be honest with you. i am going to use your idea and make a set of servo mounts like yours. hope this is ok... i really like your setup
Not yet, I'll get some pics up this week.

Use any idea you want, I'm not the first one to do the steering behind the axle.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:34 PM   #144
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
Correct, they go on a little tight, but it's not bad.
Excellent! Tomorrow to the LHS for 3 sets of unused Giant Tracs!

Funny because they're covered in about 3 inches of dust.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:49 PM   #145
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:

Here are the pics..........
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2005, 10:03 PM   #146
2006 2.2 National Champ

I had to flip the knuckles upside down for the tierod to clear the servo horn. If you use a smaller diameter tierod it won't sit so close, my tierod is 3/8" diameter. Also at full compression of the suspension in that front corner, the upper link almost touches the top of the servo. It's a tight fit without bending links for clearence.

It's hard to see in the pics, but here's a few more.......
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2005, 10:52 PM   #147
Rock Crawler

I gotta tell 'ya man, I get a kick every time I see this thread pop up under "new posts." When you hover over it, it reads "Hey all, I'm new to this site, just thought I'd show a few pics of my TXT"

Seems like a lifetime ago.

I do dig the rig though. I've got another shafty in my head as well. I just wish I could decide on axles. It's probably gonna be either a humongous tuber with x-factor axles and the new jumbo swamp kongs, or a large "scale" crawler with txt axles. I'm still undecided. I just wish Gmade would release their new axles so I could quit waiting...
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:56 PM   #148
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRMorrison
I gotta tell 'ya man, I get a kick every time I see this thread pop up under "new posts." When you hover over it, it reads "Hey all, I'm new to this site, just thought I'd show a few pics of my TXT"
I know, I've got other rigs in mind, but I can't stop modding this one.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:53 AM   #149
Quarry Creeper

bender, thanks man. the pictures are perfect. that is just what i needed.

your rig looks great...
Old 04-30-2005, 06:43 PM   #150
Quarry Creeper

bender, are you running the rear setup behind the axle too? or do you think it would get "hung up" to much?
Old 04-30-2005, 08:08 PM   #151
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
bender, are you running the rear setup behind the axle too? or do you think it would get "hung up" to much?
I'm only running front steer right now. The set-up in the front does hang up once in a while, when backing up after being high centered on tranny skid. For that reason it'll be the standard mount on the rear axle.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:33 AM   #152
2006 2.2 National Champ

Default Finally rotated the tranny!!

I started messing around with rotating tranny yesterday, the mounts are temporary until I can machine something a little beefier.

Some pics.....
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2005, 09:23 AM   #153
Rock Stacker

Looking good. I see you are running a dual rate spring now also. I was running somthing like that for a while and liked it. Now I am experimenting with drop travel.
Have you run the truck yet with the rotated tranny? When will we get to see the eye candy of the custom machined shinny bits?
stlcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:25 AM   #154
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcrawler
Looking good. I see you are running a dual rate spring now also. I was running somthing like that for a while and liked it. Now I am experimenting with drop travel.
Have you run the truck yet with the rotated tranny? When will we get to see the eye candy of the custom machined shinny bits?
Thanks stlcrawler.

I have been running the dual spring set-up on the right rear for a few months now and it works great!! Keep us updated on your new suspension design.

I crawled with it yesterday for a little while and rotating the tranny made a big difference!! Once I get some better bracing machined, I'll post some pics.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:14 PM   #155
RCC Addict

Damn bender, looking good. I gotta see how the rotated tranny works out on Thrusday. Hopefully here after the next two weeks are over, I can get some good time in messing with mine.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:50 PM   #156
Pebble Pounder

Hey Bender how did you attach the tranny to the frame with it being clocked at that angle? Looking good!
BigTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:40 AM   #157
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
Hey Bender how did you attach the tranny to the frame with it being clocked at that angle? Looking good!
Thanks BigTex.

I fabbed a couple brackets out of some 1/16" alum scraps I had laying around. First pic, bracket mounts to stock hole on side of tranny and to the chassis plate. The second pic, I drilled a stock crossmember and bracket ties that to one of the shaft ends in tranny. New mount will attach to both shafts. They are just for mock-up and testing, until I get it exactly where I want it. Then once it's dialed in I'll machine some beefier/better looking mounts and I'll probably add 1 more mount to it once it's dialed. I'm trying to get the bottom of the tranny high enough in the chassis so I can machine a flat delrin skid for the underside of the chassis.

Here's a couple more pics......
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2005, 08:41 AM   #158
Quarry Creeper

Default Tipping the trans

I've been trying to lay my trans on it's side but the mounts are tricky because they're not at 90 deg angles. I can't wait to see your finished mounts.

Also, your rig ROCKS!!!!!!. I've sucessfully used many of your innovations on my Jugg.

Thanks for All the Help and Tips!!!!!!!
azvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:10 PM   #159
RCC Addict

Looks super nice there Bender. I cant wait to check it out in person, since your pics just never seem to do the truck and your work justice!!
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:11 PM   #160

Default Bender

Awesome truck dude!!!! very inovative, I am going to use some of your ideas in my own rig

i am just a newbie at rock crawling but have been involved in racing off and on road both here in the US and in Australia for many years
I have had the TXT1 for nearly a year but havent had much time to use it

I was also thinking about clocking the tranny so i can fit a flat skidplate.

It"s just an idea but Im thinking of ditching the stock tranny and replacing it with a Traxxas tranny, the same as they do with the TLT's The reasons behind this idea are as follows;

Smaller, will be able to rotate inside the chassis and align the driveshafts more directly to the diffs without such extreme angles as there are with the stock tranny being clocked

I can still mount up a GD600 reduction unit

As I said just an idea but I would be interested on your thoughts about this modification

Thanks in advance
Bunyip
Rock_Bunyip is offline   Reply With Quote