Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: "ROCTAPUS"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2005, 01:43 AM   #81
2006 2.2 National Champ

Thumbs up Progressive spring set.

I saw these at the hobby shop, it made me think about thread here on spring rates. So I thought I'd give them a try. They are made by Trinity for the maxx shocks. Package of 12 was $16.99, they are the the stiffest set they offer I believe. Part number is TK5129. It comes with 4 spacers that retain 2 coils end to end. Springs are color coded 4 blues (soft), 4 blacks (medium) and 4 shorter yellow (firm). I put 2 blacks and 1 yellow on my right rear shock. It limited travel a little (1/4" of actual shock travel) for that corner, I really didn't notice much difference there. The biggest advantage I noticed was on steep inclines. It really made a huge difference as far as keeping all 4 tires planted while climbing steep faces. What's cool is that they can work for both 4" shocks as well as Savage shocks without any cutting.

A few pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by BENDER; 02-14-2005 at 01:48 AM.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2005, 11:05 AM   #82
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbks5
Damn..... Your TXT really hugs those rocks. Looks liek a great place to crawl.
Yes it does. :-P This place is a blast!!
Old 02-25-2005, 06:43 PM   #83
2006 2.2 National Champ

Default More changes.

I decided to give the 60/40 link set-up a try on Roctapus. After watching jason and No-Fab scale the steep faces at Red Rocks last weekend, I figured I'd give it a try. Wheelbase is now 16 3/4" I made new extended rear links and new lower fronts out of 3/8" diameter alum stock and lowered ride height about 1/4". So far I really like it, I do drag rear links and tranny skid a little more than before, as usual there are always tradeoffs.

More pics....
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2005, 06:51 PM   #84
2006 2.2 National Champ

A few more......
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2005, 06:55 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

your truck owns bender
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:11 PM   #86
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzhead
your truck owns bender
Thanks for the compliment fuzzhead.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:17 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

well it does. it almost looks like it would handle better than any clod. except for torque twist of course. and the shocks with the custom towers is very inovative and hasnt been copied yet. (probably out of respect for you)
Old 02-25-2005, 09:20 PM   #88
Rock Stacker

Wink

I love that truck man,and I like that you used the out backs ! They look a lot more like rock wheels then the other styl!!The only thing...not to be crude or mean... But that thing looks like its got a body from a 32 ford coop on it from the top!the blower looks like I think it was the yellow ford from american grafity?I do love that chassis and jeep body though!!!
MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:39 PM   #89
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGoat
I love that truck man,and I like that you used the out backs ! They look a lot more like rock wheels then the other styl!!The only thing...not to be crude or mean... But that thing looks like its got a body from a 32 ford coop on it from the top!the blower looks like I think it was the yellow ford from american grafity?I do love that chassis and jeep body though!!!
Thanks guys.

No offense taken MountainGoat, the body is pretty hacked up. I'm working on something new, it'll probably be a while before it's done though. I'm dragging my ass with it.

Fuzzhead I've pretty much eliminated torque twist on this rig, for most situations it's pretty stable. stlcrawler uses my design on his rig, and I don't mind at all. That's the point of the board, people exchanging idea's.

Here's a link to stlcrawlers rig.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4602
Old 02-25-2005, 09:52 PM   #90
Rock Crawler

guess i missed that one. well that is something you can feel proud about too.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:37 PM   #91
RCC Addict

biuld some hgh clearense rear links so your not draging them all over.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 07:50 PM   #92
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
biuld some hgh clearense rear links so your not draging them all over.
I thought about doing that, if I do then my rear drive shaft is really exposed to getting bashed on rocks. It's already beat up pretty bad with this set-up, because it hangs down below lower links already. I still might give it a go and just keep a couple spare shafts handy.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #93
Pebble Pounder

Ok i'm not a shafty guy but since you said your drive shaft gets beat up, Maybe a two piece drive shaft is possible( like what heavy equipment trucks have)along with a slip joint? and with the high clearance links
kwj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 08:15 PM   #94
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwj48
Ok i'm not a shafty guy but since you said your drive shaft gets beat up, Maybe a two piece drive shaft is possible( like what heavy equipment trucks have)along with a slip joint? and with the high clearance links
That's a good idea. Only concern I have, as I look at my truck's rearend, is drive shaft bind. Being I would have 2 fairly short drive shafts afterwards. It looks like 2nd shaft (going to diff) would be at a steep angle. I'll definitely have to play around with it, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:30 PM   #95
Pebble Pounder

Maybe split the angle so it's not so great.You could angle the one coming off the tranny a little, support with a center bearing or something, then finish with the rest of the angle. MAYBE???? :? Just a thought.
kwj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 08:41 PM   #96
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwj48
Maybe split the angle so it's not so great.You could angle the one coming off the tranny a little, support with a center bearing or something, then finish with the rest of the angle. MAYBE???? :? Just a thought.
Looking at it again, my drive shaft is sooooo close to touching my upper link as the suspension cycles to that side, I can barely see daylight between the 2. Input shaft for diffs on TXT's are offset about an inch from center, I assume they did it to help with torque twist but IMO it really doesn't. It's not out of the question though.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:57 PM   #97
2006 2.2 National Champ

Thumbs up New Sneakers!!

Finally got my Moab's. These tires kick ass!! Took them out for a test run today and I'm extremely happy with them. I'm working on some Area 51 foams!! :-P

More pics.......
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2005, 05:02 PM   #98
2006 2.2 National Champ

A few more........
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2005, 05:29 PM   #99
Rock Stacker

Bender, "Roctapus" looks awesome!! It was actually your rig that made me decide to get a TXT instead of a Clod. I might even do a similar chassis.....if that would be alright with you, of course.
MoabCrawler13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:35 PM   #100
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoabCrawler13
Bender, "Roctapus" looks awesome!! It was actually your rig that made me decide to get a TXT instead of a Clod. I might even do a similar chassis.....if that would be alright with you, of course.
Thanks MoabCrawler13. If my rig stopped you from buying a clod.............I've done my job. :-P Duplicate whatever you want, that's fine by me.