Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Just picked up a cc01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #1

Default Just picked up a cc01

Hi im Kenny a long time lurker of I just picked up a CC-01 Unimog kit (well it is shipping) I've always loved the look of a Mog but been Leary of kits after way too many rtr trucks. I accidentally won a Pti Goliath kit on ebay and the kit bug has bitten. I have wanted a scale truck for a while so hopefully this helps get my feet wet to scaling.

I have also bought bearings and a set of Out croppers I think I will hold off on other mods so I don't get in too much trouble with my wife.

I'm looking forward to figuring this thing out any tips or tricks are much appreciated

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
pungohboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Just picked up a cc01

Welcome, those are two very good hop-ups for the kit. I'd recommnd some CVDs and alloy knuckles next, or an RC4WD gear reductionunit. You're gonna have a blast building it, the manual is excellent and building your own rig will definitely make you more attached to it.

As for info, have a browse of the threads here, but I would suggest starting here, ESC, Motor, Wheels/Tyres & GRU Set Up.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #3

Thanks I've been reading alot on here about the cc01 that thread specifically I went with the outcroppers after seeing DieselJC's unimog (that and they were on sale ) I will probably end up with a GRU I have a couple 55t motors laying around I plan on trying first. I would like for this to end up as a waterproof trail rig I have a 2075 Traxxas servo and a receiver box from a Traxxas something laying around and am debating on a Traxxas waterproof esc or waterproofing the stock esc.

I told my 4year old about the truck today and he has taken claim of it which should work to my advantage when explaining to the wife I'm upgrading it for him not me lol. It should be here by Tuesday hopefully the tires and bearings soon after.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

How about a Hitec HS-5646WP servo? Cheaper and stronger than the Traxxas one. HPI also offer a fully waterproof servo now that looks pretty nice. With a GRU, the stock 104 ESC is fine and you could plasti-dip that for full waterproof protection too. In fact, just plasti-dip anything you think water will affect, it's awesome stuff.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #5

I already have the 2075 sitting around from my slash 4x4. Anyone run a BEC on the cc-01 I've never used one but am thinking it may not be a bad idea.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'm running a Novak heavy duty BEC on mine, with a Tekin FXR, 55t motor, cloned Spektrum receiver and a really thirsty Bluebird servo.

Hasn't browned out since I installed that.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I run the Castle 10A BEC @ 7.4v, zero issues.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #8

Thanks guys i may grab one in the future ive been watching the for sale section for a bec.

Well I got the tires and the kit still waiting on bearings :( maybe I shouldn't have went the cheap route. I don't want to start the build till they get here so I've been reading up on stuff on here I plan on doing the axle slop mod as a precaution I don't plan on any of the gpm or junfac stuff yet ill run it semi stock for a while is there anything else that may be worthwhile during the build?
I'm looking forward to getting this kit going hopefully I can get started next week.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I just picked up a CC01 myself and the PO had already put the bearings in. Before I got it I worked up a shopping list of all the aluminum goodies, but after getting it, putting all my electronics in and then running it for several hours I have decided to wait on the upgrades.

The truck just runs that well as is.
treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #10

Look at what this guy did, CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build I did this when I built my cc-01 just to be safe. If you already are putting bearings in you will have spare bushings to use so it cant hurt.
haphazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by haphazzard View Post
Look at what this guy did, CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build I did this when I built my cc-01 just to be safe. If you already are putting bearings in you will have spare bushings to use so it cant hurt.
Yea that's the plan for the bushings. Hopefully the bearings will be here tomorrow.

Sent from my HP Touch pad running ICS using tapatalk 2
Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #12

Sorry this turned into a little novel

I wanted to give an update the bearings finally arrived on Monday so after I got them I tore into the box it had been waiting for that plastic to be ripped off lol. I got everything laid out and went to it. Since it was only my 2nd kit build I had to slow down a couple times due to not reading a step PR just missing something obvious. The kit went together fast including time for me to solder up the integy 55t nd my taymia 302bk esc. I didn't go with the stock one since this was laying around already.
I just put the bumper paint on so hopefully tomorrow the body will be finished painting. I still need to tidy up wires and do something to the battery holder to fit my lipo hard packs (suggestions welcomed) it looks good so far but is a bit quicker than expected with the 55t but I want a trail truck so ill try it before going to a gru.

I did shim the rear axle (thanks derb for the pics in the other post) I put the stock bumper on ill probably remove it soon but would like a bumper and winch setup eventually.

I wired in some powerpole connectors to my esc battery connector to connect the light unit.

Oh lastly it seems a bit funny sounding when first taking off is that normal? Just a louder gear clacking but once it goes its fine it also does it pushing on the table. Maybe the motor magnet resistance or something.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Could be the gears in the tranny slipping, but that would sound like a harsh buzzing/clicking. Make sure the top plate is screwed down nice and tight. Sounds like its drivetrain, so the only other option might something in the diff/rear axle. Can you get a vid of the noise at all? If you put it against a wall and hit the throttle does it make the sound?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #14

I will check those screws I hate Phillips screws no matter what I do I end up slipping the screw driver and am scared ill end up stripping them so that may be it. I'd say it is coming from the front around the gears. I will try to get a video tomorrow.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Sounds like a transmission issue then. Some other guys had similar issues and the go-to fix is to drill the screw mounts all the way through the tub and use a nut and bolt setup to keep the tranny cover held down super strong. If you do end up hurting some of the gears, the replacement pack is about $10 on ebay, so not a project ending issue at all.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #16

Sorry for crappy video my cell sucks. But it picked up the sound really good. It almost sounds to me like a spot on one of the gears thats just a bit off or maybe more grease in one spot or something?

Cc-01 gear noise - YouTube

This was after making sure all screws on the cover are tight.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Great video mate, audio was perfect and you're right, that's not a slipping/skipping noise, just gear mesh type noise. I would take the gears out and make sure any little nibs of plastic from the parts tree have been sliced or sanded off. Also inside the gears where the shafts go through. Almost sounds like one gear is slightly off-balance. If it all looks good it may very well be a defect with the parts. Did you lock the front diff out of interest? If so, which method did you use?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
Great video mate, audio was perfect and you're right, that's not a slipping/skipping noise, just gear mesh type noise. I would take the gears out and make sure any little nibs of plastic from the parts tree have been sliced or sanded off. Also inside the gears where the shafts go through. Almost sounds like one gear is slightly off-balance. If it all looks good it may very well be a defect with the parts. Did you lock the front diff out of interest? If so, which method did you use?
Yes the front is locked using 1extra gear from the rear since that is locked with the plastic locker. I have pulled that out once since building it because I forgot the washers I hoped that was all it was I will check the gears again. I got the paint finished last night its not perfect I suck at painting but I'm getting better lol. Hopefully tonight stickers will go on and tomorrow maybe I will finally get to run it.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my HP Touch pad running ICS using tapatalk 2
Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #19

finally got to run it today. It is a blast its my first scale type rc so I'm getting use to the driving style. I opened the battery hole to fit my 5000mah 2s hard case lipo it is really fast on lipo. It is faster than my 4 year old son can run so a gru may be in the plans not sure yet. I didn't have ideal area mostly open area hopefully I'll be able to do some trail running soon.

My wife took some pics but she hasn't given them to me yet.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD

Just picked up a cc01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally picked up a CC01, have some questions rockhound Tamiya XC/CC01 2 10-18-2012 09:50 PM
just picked one up rock hard Team Losi Comp Crawler 8 05-22-2010 07:33 PM
Just picked up a WK. Swampwalker3 HPI Wheely King 3 09-16-2009 12:18 AM
Picked up a CR-01! lt. Tamiya CR-01 2 08-18-2009 07:07 AM
Just picked up my first CR-01 FreshMeat Tamiya CR-01 11 02-14-2009 11:10 PM