Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Recommended upgrades while building

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Recommended upgrades while building

Hello everyone! I’m back into RC after about 8 years and picked up a CC01 and CR01 to start out!

Before I start building my CC01, I’m wondering what you all consider that most important upgrades to make while building for the first time!

Thanks!

Jon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jongrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Recommended upgrades while building

A set of bearings and simply not installing the front bumper would be a good start. If you're planning on trailing with it you'll likely want to lock the front diff.

A cheap 35T or higher motor can be beneficial to slow the truck down bit. It's geared for speed more than torque.

Beyond that, the steering (both slop and throw) will be the next areas you'll likely want to address. No one answer there. Have a look through the forum and see what has worked for folks.

Good luck!
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post
A set of bearings and simply not installing the front bumper would be a good start. If you're planning on trailing with it you'll likely want to lock the front diff.

A cheap 35T or higher motor can be beneficial to slow the truck down bit. It's geared for speed more than torque.

Beyond that, the steering (both slop and throw) will be the next areas you'll likely want to address. No one answer there. Have a look through the forum and see what has worked for folks.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! I’ll start doing some research!

Old 08-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I started off with a CC01 and I think looking back the best mod was locking the diffs but that had a double edged effect in making it much easier to strip the tiny, tiny splines on the axles.

Tires would also be a good upgrade but make sure to check sizing as you wont be able to fit anything other than tiny tires (depending on the body).

Steering linkage needs upgrading for sure, a few companies make them and I believe the GPM kit tends to come loose very easily and folks have had better luck with the Yeah Racing kit

Beyond that I would say dont mod too much or expect any miracles, if you find yourself wanting a lot more from the performance I would have to recommend stepping up to a 1.9 rig from on of the many manufacturer's. I personally dumped a bit too much into a CC01 only to find myself breaking it frequently and not getting huge improvements I wanted. It was a great introduction but I've since moved on to axial, Gmade and Vaterra offerings which take to modding much better.

I think I've grown to prefer a lightly modded CC01
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:15 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I started off with a CC01 and I think looking back the best mod was locking the diffs but that had a double edged effect in making it much easier to strip the tiny, tiny splines on the axles.

Tires would also be a good upgrade but make sure to check sizing as you wont be able to fit anything other than tiny tires (depending on the body).

Steering linkage needs upgrading for sure, a few companies make them and I believe the GPM kit tends to come loose very easily and folks have had better luck with the Yeah Racing kit

Beyond that I would say dont mod too much or expect any miracles, if you find yourself wanting a lot more from the performance I would have to recommend stepping up to a 1.9 rig from on of the many manufacturer's. I personally dumped a bit too much into a CC01 only to find myself breaking it frequently and not getting huge improvements I wanted. It was a great introduction but I've since moved on to axial, Gmade and Vaterra offerings which take to modding much better.

I think I've grown to prefer a lightly modded CC01

I realize that it’s not the best truck on the market. I got a great deal on it and said what the hell!

What you’ve recommended is perfect. I’ve heard about the steering issues and will probably pick up that Yeah Racing kit before I build!

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2018, 07:16 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I agree with pretty much everything here. I can't believe I forgot to recommend tires!

I had the GPM steering kit installed. It worked well for a bit, but loosened up. I then JB Welded the top connection. That helped a bit, but the bottom still loosened up. I just swapped over to the Yeah Racing kit, but haven't had a chance to run it yet. There's definitely more engagement area between the parts of the primary steering shaft. That's encouraging.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote

Recommended upgrades while building - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommended Mods and Upgrades for Barrage BTD Mongol Pete Newbie General 11 12-11-2017 03:30 PM
Recommended Upgrades??? orangebloodtex Newbie General 7 12-17-2010 11:31 AM
Recommended Upgrades for the CR-01 Land Cruiser?? 1SweetRide Tamiya CR-01 7 06-06-2010 02:54 AM
recommended upgrades warDialer Venom Creeper 8 07-19-2009 05:18 PM
recommended upgrades for basher AX10 Canz Crawler Newbie General 8 01-25-2008 09:41 AM