Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC-01 HILUX build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #21

Default Re: CC-01 HILUX build

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Hard to say without them in hand, but looks like it would mount the same as the Junfac setup. Maybe this pic will help?

Post up a pic with them mounted if you can. Not a huge fan of Integy per-se, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

One thought: The lower mounts of the shocks in the kit are stepped screws. While that works fine with the stock parts, it won't work with a true 4 link. You need a set of pivot balls to allow the suspension to move freely. Maybe that's what causing problems?

Yeah, I tried it like that by twisting the long links to be at 90° but then the links don’t line up with the holes in the chassis, if I then mount it similar to the standard links the shocks can’t fully extend, it works if I do the same upside down but then the shocks sit on top of the axle and sits the back way too high. Really stumped!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RCMOTION15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2019, 04:08 AM   #22

So I got a bit of time to work on the LUX today. I went down to the local hobby shop and I was fortunate enough for the guy to show me his CC-01, he has the same kit and had the exact same problem. After discussing a few possibilities we decided that the best option was to just grab a hacksaw and, we’ll, chop chop...

Works like a charm now!!!

I also got some paint for the mighty lux. Light gunmetal, backed with black, and a flat clear, clear red for tail, lights.

Also got something special for a bit later so, I’ll keep yours posted.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:11 AM   #23

Finally got it all masked up. Hopefully should be able to lay down some paint tomorrow

Old 07-17-2019, 01:16 AM   #24

Default CC-01 HILUX build

Finally got around to painting and stickers in the mighty lux!!!
Started with three coats of tamiya light gunmetal and then backed with two coats of black. Then the stickers. Here’s the results.

Thoughts?

Old 07-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

That looks great! I really like the lines on that body as well, hard to see them when it is decaled out. Sometimes simple works!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Nice work. I like this better than the throwback Bruiser look.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Nice color!
Nicadraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
That looks great! I really like the lines on that body as well, hard to see them when it is decaled out. Sometimes simple works!

Thanks, really wanted to go with the factory look on this one, and it payed off!!,

Old 07-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicadraus View Post
Nice color!

Old 07-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post
Nice work. I like this better than the throwback Bruiser look.

Cheers mate

Old 07-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #31

So after my little run around at my local park I noticed that the steering was really faint and the left hand wheel was wandering around quiet a bit. I had a brief look and saw the where the yeah racing steering kit mounts on the underside of the chassis was moving. I assumed it was just that the screw had come out so I took it home and didn’t think much of it. I got busy so it sat for a week or so before I got to disassembly to fix the issue. But when I pulled it apart I discovered that one of the bearings had completely collapsed and blown to pieces. Has anyone had this happen to the yeah racing kit? And can you buy that particular bearing??? Please help.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #32

Here’s just a quick snippet of the Hilux bashing around a park

https://youtu.be/dTyr3oNuKAY

Old 07-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMOTION15 View Post
So after my little run around at my local park I noticed that the steering was really faint and the left hand wheel was wandering around quiet a bit. I had a brief look and saw the where the yeah racing steering kit mounts on the underside of the chassis was moving. I assumed it was just that the screw had come out so I took it home and didn’t think much of it. I got busy so it sat for a week or so before I got to disassembly to fix the issue. But when I pulled it apart I discovered that one of the bearings had completely collapsed and blown to pieces. Has anyone had this happen to the yeah racing kit? And can you buy that particular bearing??? Please help.

I am now on my third set of aluminum steering for the CC01. The first I used was the GPM which was an ultimate let down. The aluminum material is too soft and makes a lot of play. The screws also keeps on loosening every few steer turns and eventually comes off. The second was the Xtra Speed which wasn't really an upgrade because it's just an aluminum version of the stock with no ball bearings at all and the play was just as lousy as the stock plastic one. This being the third by Hot Racing. Looks and steers better.

I was choosing between the YR and the HR but went with the later.
Nicadraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicadraus View Post
I am now on my third set of aluminum steering for the CC01. The first I used was the GPM which was an ultimate let down. The aluminum material is too soft and makes a lot of play. The screws also keeps on loosening every few steer turns and eventually comes off. The second was the Xtra Speed which wasn't really an upgrade because it's just an aluminum version of the stock with no ball bearings at all and the play was just as lousy as the stock plastic one. This being the third by Hot Racing. Looks and steers better.

I was choosing between the YR and the HR but went with the later.

I heard that the GPM kit was useless for the same reasons that you listed and that the HR or the YR was the way to go. Which is why i did what I did. But I haven’t heard of anybody having the same problem as me with the bearing collapsing. Maybe I just got a dud.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:50 AM   #35

Default CC-01 HILUX build

So I haven’t driven the lux in a while because well... after making some steering repairs I was resetting the end points and I kinda over did it and snapped off the post where the steering rack mounts to the chassis. Let’s fix it!!!

Bit of Tarzan grip and this Selleys knead it should do this trick !

Loaded up on the Tarzan grip to hold it then used the putty stuff to shape around it and support it. This knead it stuff is awesome, you mix it up then it’s pliable like clay for a couple of minutes, then an hour later it’s rock hard and you can drill and sand it!!! I’m also going to use a longer screw so that it goes through the broken piece and the chassis. Be interesting to see how this holds up, should give it a coat of paint tomorrow maybe
Old 09-06-2019, 09:16 AM   #36

Had the same issue and did the same thing. Still holding after a couple of months. Also had to do it to 2 screws holding the skid plate. Did buy a new chassis just in case but as I have modified this one a lot I didn't want to swap it over and redo all the work.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
The_Italian_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Italian_job View Post
Had the same issue and did the same thing. Still holding after a couple of months. Also had to do it to 2 screws holding the skid plate. Did buy a new chassis just in case but as I have modified this one a lot I didn't want to swap it over and redo all the work.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Happy to hear I’m not the only one, hopefully my one will hold and I won’t have to get a new chassis

Old 09-19-2019, 07:18 AM   #38

Man I’ve been living under a rock, I didn’t even know the cc01 kit had a hilux body.
I know what’s next on my purchase list, cheers.
JimmyNoShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:43 AM   #39

Haven’t been on here for a while but I thought I’d put this out there. It’s no secret that the stock tires aren’t exactly useful and I want to upgrade them. I want something a bit taller and with a better design. My local hobby shop sells brand new RTR tyres on rims for $50 and I was looking at either the Axial AX31565 Nitto licensed trail grapplers or the AX31412 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2. I hear that either of these are decent tyres but I was wondering has anyone else done this? Would I need to potentially trim the wheel wells to allow full suspension travel? Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:18 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Way too big imo. They'll compress into the fenders built into the chassis. Something about 100mm and under is the way to go. Even then you'll probably need to trim the body a bit.

Vaterra Slickrock tires (if you can find them) work great and fit perfect. MST crawler tires are also a perfect fit, nice and soft, and very scale

IF you can afford changing the wheels, stock RC4WD trailfinder tires also work well, though they are 1.55. Here's a pic of them mounted on one of my old CC's with Boom racing wheels:

Speaking of, Boom racing makes a lot of decently priced 1.55 wheels and some very good tires. These are 1.55 Hustlers.

Didn't meant to hijack the thread with pics - hope these help!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

CC-01 HILUX build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Og hilux build cartronicshn 1.9 Scale Rigs 22 10-09-2013 04:12 PM
Hilux Build dirk379 1.9 Scale Rigs 14 04-08-2009 08:58 PM
my first hilux build gigercreeper 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 02-23-2009 10:10 AM
My K2-5 Hilux build jamesbernatchez 1.9 Scale Rigs 97 05-31-2008 01:00 PM
Hilux build up RandyatBBY Tamiya TLT Crawlers 28 12-20-2005 11:29 PM