Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Tire test...... Pitbull, WHAT ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2018, 08:47 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Tire test...... Pitbull, WHAT ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I use a small slab of granite countertop turned upside down so I'm driving on the rough side, its useful in testing out grip an angles. From what I've observed on that there are far too many variables for testing tire grip even with such a simple formula (one consistent surface with a static angle). Some days I'll have it walk right up it with out spinning a tire then minutes later it wont grip at all, its quite mysterious. Temperature, humidity, and a whole bunch of other factors must be in play here and making a concrete judgment is out the window.

Heres a clip of the granite slab turned upside down
https://youtu.be/mGYqs-kuJ0s?t=5m20s

On a side note I ran it with the polished side up and it was nothing but a test of wheelspeed
Cool vid...but embed it in your poste like this...
And the granite slab makes the most sense, but yeah, rubber temp, humidity, weighting, is all going to have an effect. I've seen slabs the car won't go up but will at a different angle, or press on the front a half ounce of pressure and it climbs right up.
That's why I say run whatcha brung - whatever looks cool to you that fits on your rig - it's all cool.
Early on some said PBRB work good so I have the sx and the xl and like them the best out of all the tires I have. YMMV

Oh...embedded vid...

WTH, embed won't work?? Maybe it's just my tablet...

Last edited by Browneye; 03-23-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
WTH, embed won't work?? Maybe it's just my tablet...
Its working on PC, I didn't even try to embed, I know some sections here allow embedding and some dont so I often dont even try.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

I downloaded an inclinometer app on my smartphone, then drove my modded Ascender K10 up a 36deg slope of a concrete drainage ditch.

RC4WD 1.7" Goodyear MT/R tires w/stock foams (they are a new compound of both the rubber & the foam), and it lifted the right front wheel an inch above the wall & never set it down, the whole way up.

(Oh, torque-twist much?)

LOLz... and I have a LOT of weight moved over the front wheels - all electronics are up front, it's running a 550 can HH Trailmaster, and a transverse 3S 3200mAH LiPo, aluminum beadlocks and SSD brass knuckles.

Was going about .001mph...

(actually, I have no freakin' idea whatsoever on the speed, other than it was so slow I could hear the tread making a nifty tearing noise on the concrete)

Gee - I hope this helps in picking a tire.

(j/k, I do think they are an excellent compound for at least dry rocky terrain, which is all I've driven them on so far.)

The Ascender would backflip on anything steeper, and on about 41deg steep I could go up fast with all four tires gripping, no "tripod" action....

Was reminding me of a pissing puppydog holding one leg up!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:43 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

A place i found to "test" tires was a steep embankment with cobblestone set into it.
Problem was when i found the place it was late in the year, so when i arrived the LCC could drive strait up on its chisels no problem.
But then smoking a joint and a little later the car could barely get the front wheels up the embankment.
As it turned out a temperature drop of a few degrees was enough to make 100 % GO wells into 100 % NO GO wheels.

There is a lot of factors, so people with little money to take chances with are probably best off if they can borrow a set of tires they have their eyes on and run them for a while.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Hmmm...I'll have to try the 'joint smoking' shtick on my tires...see if that helps.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Might help a little with perception of things.
I was doped up for the better part of 2 decades being a functional pothead only being off the sauce when i was abroad working.

Dropped out of that game 5 years ago, it was not worth it, can not recommend it.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #47

For Nordic readers of this thread, please visit https://billigasommardack.se/ or https://billigavinterdack.se/ for tire test in nordic climate during summer and winter

Last edited by Erik247; 03-25-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Erik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik247 View Post
For Nordic readers of this thread, please visit https://billigasommardack.se/ or https://billigavinterdack.se/ for tire test in nordic climate during summer and winter
What? Why do you link to the full size/real life version???

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tire test...... Pitbull, WHAT ???? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which pitbull tire should I get? sdmf Tires and Wheels 17 07-19-2015 12:14 AM
Tf2 1.55 pitbull growler test... seychelles Videos! 0 08-31-2013 03:04 PM
Pitbull pic test TNCrawler Testing 1 2 3 0 09-16-2012 11:35 AM
Axial 2.2 Rock Lizards Tire, tire test rockwerks Tires and Wheels 1 05-27-2007 03:02 PM
LOTS PICS, Shock test, Narrow Wheel Test, Tire Pattern Test, LOTS inside Mutt General Crawlers 9 12-28-2005 09:30 PM