Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Best tire for snow crawling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Best tire for snow crawling?

I think I'm going to pull out my 1/12 Exc barrage and throw some large 2.2 tires on there. Its probably half the weight of my tf2 so that will help with floating. Also I'm picking up some gmade R1 portals for cheap ill throw on it
Toyotarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2019, 06:55 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

ive been running bfg all terains the lugs are shallow and the snow dosent seem to stick to them as much as my more agressive tires alowing them to do there job also the redcat gen8 stock tires with no foams did realy well in the snow

maybe hit the tires with some wd40 before going out crawling to keep the snow from sticking to the tires

the best over all has been the clodbuster with some cheap team assiated 3.8 buggie wheels 6.5x3 that thing is unstopable in the snow also i know its kinda a dirty word but the yeti xl is one hell of a snow basher for in fact thats the main reason im keeping it lol

gen8 foamless
https://youtu.be/6Wj9au9VquU

the bfgs

https://youtu.be/jseoP5B-eIk

Last edited by ferp420; 12-16-2019 at 07:01 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
maybe hit the tires with some wd40 before going out crawling to keep the snow from sticking to the tires
Never thought of that wd40, defiantly worth a shot. I did use spray on silicone on my kyosho blizzard to stop snow from sticking to the plastic tracks and it worked OK.

Got some Pitbull rock beast XOR 2.2 tires on the way, the website claims to be 5.25-5.5" tall and 2.25-2.5" wide depending on the rim width. I feel this tire will be killer in the snow considering the width of these bad boys. Probably won't see them till after the new years considering how busy this time is for postal service.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:57 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
ive been running bfg all terains the lugs are shallow and the snow dosent seem to stick to them as much as my more agressive tires alowing them to do there job also the redcat gen8 stock tires with no foams did realy well in the snow

Snow tires do their job BECAUSE the snow sticks. That's the whole point in sniping, to hold the snow and pack it in.

The tire itself has no traction, the snow stuck to it and sticking to the snow on the ground does.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

In his first post he says 6+ inches of snow.
No tire is going to move his truck through that, especially a 1.9.
You need these:
https://www.imex-model.com/product/I...9.html?cid=131
Or these:
https://store.rc4wd.com/Mud-Slingers...res_p_752.html
https://store.rc4wd.com/Rock-Crusher...res_p_753.html

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 12-16-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:22 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
In his first post he says 6+ inches of snow.
No tire is going to move his truck through that, especially a 1.9.
You need these:
https://www.imex-model.com/product/I...9.html?cid=131
Or these:
https://store.rc4wd.com/Mud-Slingers...res_p_752.html
https://store.rc4wd.com/Rock-Crusher...res_p_753.html
Obviously not fresh snow you won't be able to power through but give it a day or more to harden up a little and a 1.9 can get through. I got a fresh snowfall on sunday and by today I was able to crawl through ok, my current tires are worn down a little so a fresh set would work good I think.

Those tires are MONSTERS, defiantly couldn't fit those on my RC's.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #27

If I was buying a tire just for snow, I'd probably do a Pitbull XOR tire. You're going to want a wide tire for flotation and deep lugs for grip, with a wide tread spacing for tire cleaning. I think the XOR clicks all of those boxes.

I've got some 2.2 XORs on my Yeti. Maybe I'll take it for a rip this weekend and see what happens. We just got another 6" of snow last night.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #28
RCC Addict

I use Sand Pows 2.8 on my little monster to have fun in the snow
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
If I was buying a tire just for snow, I'd probably do a Pitbull XOR tire. You're going to want a wide tire for flotation and deep lugs for grip, with a wide tread spacing for tire cleaning. I think the XOR clicks all of those boxes.

I've got some 2.2 XORs on my Yeti. Maybe I'll take it for a rip this weekend and see what happens. We just got another 6" of snow last night.
Post some pics when you get out! I hope my XOR's come sooner than end of the month!
Old 12-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotarc View Post
Post some pics when you get out! I hope my XOR's come sooner than end of the month!
I will. Something tells me that the generic Proline Trenchers on my Slash MT will probably do better in the snow than the XORs just because they're wider.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Re: Best tire for snow crawling?

Cut RC4WD Mud slingers with thin soft foam and on wide Redcat E-10 wheels worked well for me. These are the 2.2s, which aren't much bigger than 1.9xls.

On a side note 2.8 Proline TSLs work pretty well
xtreme4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Duratrax Deep Woods work great in the snow...

So do Proline Tsl's

Lots of power, and wheel speed.

And lots of clearance.

5.4" Tsl's pictured....

I’ll second the nod to the Deep Woods. Had mine out this week in the snow. Ran Hyrax and them back to back. The Deep Woods ate the Hyrax lunch in the snow. That said, they have a rounder, narrower profile, so they don’t so much float as dig. They do unload well too. 6” is getting pretty deep for 1.9’s though.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Deep Woods ..no foam ..unbeatable!!
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
Snow tires do their job BECAUSE the snow sticks. That's the whole point in sniping, to hold the snow and pack it in.

The tire itself has no traction, the snow stuck to it and sticking to the snow on the ground does.
enuff traction to snap a axial front cv shaft

the front right wheel stops spinning at 2:54 cause the cv broke

ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
enuff traction to snap a axial front cv shaft

the front right wheel stops spinning at 2:54 cause the cv
So what you're saying is that a spinning tire in snow is a sign of good traction, and that the traction generated by a tire spinning in the snow was enough to snap a cv?

Is that correct?
Old 12-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
So what you're saying is that a spinning tire in snow is a sign of good traction, and that the traction generated by a tire spinning in the snow was enough to snap a cv?

Is that correct?
Well watching the video a few times at 2:54 mark when the cv snaps looks like it was possible he could of spun down to the dirt since it didn't look like there was much of a snow base.

If it was like a 1-2ft base I don't believe it would be possible to snap a axle shaft or cv since you would most likely high center before you get enough traction to break anything.

Cool video to!
Old 12-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well watching the video a few times at 2:54 mark when the cv snaps looks like it was possible he could of spun down to the dirt since it didn't look like there was much of a snow base.

If it was like a 1-2ft base I don't believe it would be possible to snap a axle shaft or cv since you would most likely high center before you get enough traction to break anything.

Cool video to!
My point is that a tire spinning in snow is the exact opposite of traction.

If there were no other obstructions holding the vehicle back and it had maximum traction, itd be moving, not sitting still spinning.

Traction in, or on the snow was NOT the cause of this snapped cv, 1,000%, there wasn't any.

Last edited by Xx Losungen xX; 12-21-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Got some fresh tires in this week!

These puppy's are 2.4" wide and 5.25" tall and they are next to Baja claws that are 1.7" wide and 4.75" tall.

Should have lots of grip now.

Last edited by Toyotarc; 12-25-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Image sizing
Old 01-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Got some fresh tires in this week!

These puppy's are 2.4" wide and 5.25" tall and they are next to Baja claws that are 1.7" wide and 4.75" tall.

Should have lots of grip now.
The XORs would definitely be my first choice for snow. Actually, today I took my Yeti out for a high speed snow bash and had a blast. I tried my XORs and the Austar XOR clones. The snow was hard, with 1/4" of powder on top. The XORs amazed me. They dug in hard and launched the truck forward with minimal fishtailing. The Injora clones are a harder compound, and not surprisingly, the truck fishtailed more and slid around corners more. I was actually able to traction roll the Yeti on the snow with the XORs. Both tires did a great job of self cleaning as I drove.

Later on the powder was a little deeper and both sets of tires performed more equally. They both slid more. Both provided impressive grip and acceleration.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:53 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
The XORs would definitely be my first choice for snow. Actually, today I took my Yeti out for a high speed snow bash and had a blast. I tried my XORs and the Austar XOR clones. The snow was hard, with 1/4" of powder on top. The XORs amazed me. They dug in hard and launched the truck forward with minimal fishtailing. The Injora clones are a harder compound, and not surprisingly, the truck fishtailed more and slid around corners more. I was actually able to traction roll the Yeti on the snow with the XORs. Both tires did a great job of self cleaning as I drove.

Later on the powder was a little deeper and both sets of tires performed more equally. They both slid more. Both provided impressive grip and acceleration.
Yeah I have been using the XOR's on my twin hammers and its been shredding the snow with it! Only issue so far is I burnt out a 540 20T motor. That large of a tire probably puts alot more stress on the motor so I put in a spare 540 45T in and its great. Lost a fair bit of top speed with the 45T but I could probably cure that with a 3s battery

Best tire for snow crawling? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
snow tire suggestion glockrocket17 Traxxas Crawlers 23 05-11-2013 01:01 AM
Snow tire chains sally1800 General Scale Talk 16 02-07-2011 09:09 AM
Snow Tire Lemonlegs28 Newbie General 4 01-20-2011 02:37 PM
3.75 snow tire? the_ghetto_rig Tamiya XC/CC01 16 10-13-2009 05:02 PM
what is a good 1.9 tire for snow losiminicrawler Tires and Wheels 16 10-06-2009 07:01 PM