Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: 3D modeling/rendering software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #301
Rock Crawler

Ok. Here's the deal. If you guys (generic) send me or xdrive your IGES(prefered) files I can manufacture your parts. I will give quotes per job and offer parts made and kits to suit your needs. For manufacturing from IGES send info and/or files to www.generis4u@hotmail.com or send interest to e-mail and post files on the RCC xdrive site.
Thanks
Chris
Generis Custom Metalworks

PS. innovative e-maxx/pede pwr crawler coming soon!
Generis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #302
20K Club

Generis

I hope you found the stuff on xdrive helpful, and I am sure everyone else on here will be happy to have you on the site. Can you provide an abbreviated list of the materials that you have readily available (I am sure you can get anything but it is usally cheaper if you have it around it seems). I know delrin is becoming very popular around here because it is so easy to work with, or if you use any other types of plastics too.

Thanks again for contacting me.

Josh
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #303
RCC Addict

I like the idea of making something weekly. Sounds cool! I can draw up about anything as long as there aren't crazy contours like lexan bodies and stuff.

I use autocad R14 to draw EVERYTHING. Sit down with a pair of calipers and have at it. I then export the file as a .3ds and import it into a rendering program the design guys use at work and render it that way.

Here are a few images that are stolen right from autocad. It's something I'm working on right now.

As for this challenge. I'm game! I already have a tekin rebel 2 drawn. Here are a list of parts for basic drawing I think would be cool.

servos
receivers
esc
battery packs
motors

a little harder
revo shafts
maxx shafts
misc rims

more advanced
axle housings
transmissions
stock plastic parts from vehicles (knuckles, a-arms etc)
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #304
20K Club

I think that is a good list of things to do. I agree on the lexan body stuff. I could do it but it would pretty much be hell. Anyway i did a stock savage bumper quick today at lunch for everyone. It is pretty good, I will do the rear one later. I will upload it later tonight.

We need to make some rules for this contest. If you can think of anything that needs to be stated post em up. I don't really know of ways to cheat so I don't think that is a problem. We also need a way for them to be judged. This is a hard forum to have people come to and vote so I don't really have any ideas.

Josh

Last edited by Harley; 03-01-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #305
Quarry Creeper

Is there any limits/requirments for esc? And can we use any software program, since i am a Max user
Lankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #306
20K Club

I would say that we could use any program, unless someone else has an argument otherwise. Can max export to IGES or Step files? I guess when I used it I didn't even know what those were. I would say we can do any ESC that is somewhat common, only reason I say that is so people are doing a 1974 Nikko piece (I don't even know if Nikko existed then) that know one has ever seen or used.

I would say that the piece needs to be rendered/posted by itself. That way people aren't swayed by a sweet a$$ chassis (or chick)that it is sitting on or something like that. I guess I am just throwing stuff out there, anyone is free to pipe in and give there two pennys worth.

Oh yeah and I would say that only one entry per person, everyone agree with that?

Josh
Old 02-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #307
Quarry Creeper

I like the design challenge idea. Inspire me to do more than just rough external geometry.
Could someone try to download the Stealth T3 trans I just uploaded? It's a zipped IGES file on the xdrive under:
\\Crawler Stuff\Stealth Tranny\Stealth T3 Trans.zip

Thanks!
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #308
20K Club

Sammy

File worked fine for me. Tranny looks good, what is the difference between the this one and the other stealth tranny? I don't know stealth trannys at all so someone would have to enlighten me on the subject.

Josh
Old 02-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #309
Quarry Creeper

Max can export in .IGES, .3DS, .STL, .DWG, .DXF, .OBJ, and about 10 other formats. It will render out anything thing though, its mainly used for games and movies by big companies.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #310
20K Club

I see that is what nick said they use to render his drawings also. I might have to load it on my machine and play around with some of the rendering options.

Another Rule I was thinking for submition of the objects.

when you post them up there should be requirement/limit on the number of pictures posted. You should be able to take two quater views and be able to see pretty much everything so I would say a min of two (2) pictures and a max of maybe four (4).

How does that sound?

Josh
Old 02-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #311
Quarry Creeper

I would like to see pics rendered out in wire frame and also with materials.

Also, i think we should find a standard unit that everyone uses, I use millimeters at work, but inches at home on my pc. It may screw people up if we are using different units.

With that being said, for the comps, I think that every model must be to scale. Say you model an ESC and its 2" x 2" x 2" for example, it must be modeled appropriatly.

What you think?

Mike.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #312
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706
Sammy

File worked fine for me. Tranny looks good, what is the difference between the this one and the other stealth tranny? I don't know stealth trannys at all so someone would have to enlighten me on the subject.

Josh
The other Stealth is an older style with all four mounting holes on the bottom. This new one is the T3 version (more commonly available for less than $30 on ebay) and has offset mounting lugs on the top and bottom. Kinda makes it hard to place mounting holes on a chassis, unless you know the offset. Hopefully, the 3D model helps.
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #313
20K Club

I totally agree on being to scale. It absolutely MUST be as close as possible. As far as units, I think that it is important to know what units you are working in. I believe that english should be assumed but if you upload something that is in metric that it should be stated clearly in the file title. That being said I would much rather prefer english units. That is what my systems are set in right now.

How come you are intersted in wireframe? They seem kinda hard to see sometimes, especially with a ESC with cooling fins and junk. Dosn't really matter to me though easy to upload another picture.

Oh and thanks for the clarification on the T3 Tranny!!! very helpful info and a really good use for 3D modeling like you were talking about.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 PM   #314
RCC Addict

I don't think you can put any rules down since it's a challenge and not really a contest. I think we should clarify maybe a format?

I personally think one image should be standard detail drawings. A front view, side view and top view with some dimensions on it. (not entirely detailed) and also an iso view that is lines only. no renderings. Kind of like this. So if someone without CAD or similiar wants to get some dimensions of parts they can view these images.

Then a seperate image that is rendered out if you want. Not everyone can render an image. Obviously the more detailed you make it the more props you get.

As for what unit is used to make the item. I don't think it matters unless it is noted somewhere that it is drawn in metric.

I don't feel there will be any "winners" in this contest. More or less just trying to impress other people that are trying to make something as detailed and accurate as possible.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #315
RCC Addict

oh yeh and you can ONLY show the item being drawn in the rendering. Not the item mounted onto something else (unless the item being drawn is an assembly) Maybe we can allow the use of a floor in the rendering just to help it look a little more dynamic.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #316
20K Club

EXCELENT idea on the shop drawing idea. Might be a little tough for the 3Ds guys though, but I am not sure maybe it won't be. So I think we agree on the no othere objects in the rendering also. I am gonna post my submition up here in a min.

Josh
Old 02-07-2007, 09:05 PM   #317
20K Club

Here mine is:

LRP A.I. Runner Reverse ESC

The dimensions on the shop drawing are very basin but these are pretty much just little blocks so it is pretty easy to grasp.
Also has a working LED in the model.
Let me know what ya think, I will upload it when I get the rear savage bumper done too.

Josh Thiede

Last edited by Harley; 03-01-2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #318
Quarry Creeper

Looks really good Josh! I know I can do the first 2 images, but the 3rd will be a little tougher for me since I hace no clue on how to use autocad, but I could try and do it in Rhino.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #319
RCC Addict

Looks sweet josh! I like the drawing idea because anyone can take a look at it and see if that will fit in their truck. For escs its not that important but for axles or other parts it would be awesome to have some overall dimensions. I probably won't have anything to submit. I just did a basic 3d model of the TR2 Case and fins and that was it. I don't have it anymore so no more details!

In the first image i seen some red on the bottom of the esc. Is that from the LED in your model?

PS: Don't wires have copper in the center?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #320
20K Club

Solidworks make thoses sheets for me so there isn't much skill on my end. It only takes a couple seconds, so if you want to e-mail me your file or something I could just send that pic to ya. Dosn't matter to me, I am always willing to help. I have no idea the capabilities of Rhino, it may be able to do the exact same thing.

Josh