Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Air Compressor Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
WOOPOOW!!

Default Air Compressor Suggestions?

Looking for an all purpose Air compressor on the cheap side. Something that can easily air up a four wheeler or truck tire, run general impact tools, ect..

When I say cheap, I dont want harbor freight cheap. I dont like shopping with them because I end up returning the item within the same month that I bought it.. I appreciate any help!
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Air Compressor Suggestions?

I have this one and its not bad .Had it for almost 2 years and still runs strong.
Find the Campbell Hausfeld 20gal ASME Oil-Free Air Compressor at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.
wurster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I have a 20 gallon Ingersoll Rand. I got it thru sears during a labor day sale last Sept. Its really quiet and works great for my impact gun, air ratchets, and using my air nozzle to clean off my r/c's.
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Lots of good compressor information at The Garage Journal Board - Powered by vBulletin
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Craftsman 26 gallon is what I got. Bought it online and it came with a air wrench and cutting wheel for only $20. It was on sale a few months back. I say keep your eye on their website.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
WOOPOOW!!

Wow! Some great info, thanks guys!
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Colby...I've got a 60gal Campbell Hausfeld I use here at home. It's what I use when shaving tires which means that half way through the first tire it has to run constantly until I'm done or until I decide to take a break from huffing rubber fumes. That's running a right angle grinder with Roloc pads...high volume tool! Before I picked this compressor up I had a Delta 20gal I got from Lowes quite a few years back. It lasted 5 years before it gave up.

Tractor Supply usually has a deal going on their compressors if you haven't already checked with them.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Not terribly expensive and it's portable(ish), I've had this model for over 5 years without a single issue. Mine came w/ an assortment of air tools and paint guns. It runs on a 120V outlet, the cylinder is cast iron and separate from the motor. 30 gal. tank, 2HP motor and it's pretty quiet for a compressor.

Last edited by BigSki; 04-12-2013 at 06:05 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I also have an IR and its a twin cylinder .and even it has trouble with a cut off wheel .Its a expencive pice.You need a big tank for those cut off wheels .
wurster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Ingersoll Rand 20 Gallon Air Compressor: Get More Air Power with Sears
idratherbeclimbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

the 27 gallon craftsman are probably your best bet for the cfm, and price, but still last a long time. im a life long mechanic and iv used them all, the other good one is the small dewalt upright its around 20 gal but it runs 200 psi a big plus for air tools and duty cycle.
oldcoopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Go Champion or Quincy. Almost everything else on the market is a rebranded Harbor Freight Chinese pump. My Grandfather and Great Grandfather both own businesses that service commercial pumps, compressors, motors and equipment.

Last edited by 1tonscout; 06-11-2013 at 02:43 PM.
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Looking for an all purpose Air compressor on the cheap side. Something that can easily air up a four wheeler or truck tire, run general impact tools, ect..

When I say cheap, I dont want harbor freight cheap. I dont like shopping with them because I end up returning the item within the same month that I bought it.. I appreciate any help!
CFM is what you need to consider as the main factor when buying any air compressor.

Depending on your intentions is what your CFM purchase should be.

Just general airing up tires, airbrushing, blowing dirt and grass off your lawnmower etc... You can get away with just about any smaller 20-ish gallon unit.

However, you mentioned an impact gun. My small 3/8" impact gun utilizes about 6.5 CFM and my large 1" gun utilizes 11 CFM.

Cut-off wheels, D/A sanders and air drills utilize a fair amount of CFM also, usually they range from 5-7 CFM depending on brand and size.

I myself do a lot of sandblasting and have a large 400lb. pressurized tank sandblaster that devours 140 CFM. I built/assembled the compressor I have. It consists of two 120 gallon tanks piped in unison with a 8hp 220v motor spinning a large antique 2 stage cast iron pump that I bought 18 years ago and it was probably 20 years old when I bought it!
I have burnt up 2 motors in the 18 years and the pump still works as good as the day I got it.

Anyhow.... CFM, CFM, CFM..... check out the CFM ratings on whatever tools you hope to be using and make the purchase of the compressor accordingly.

Last edited by THX_138; 06-11-2013 at 03:48 PM.
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

"Go Champion or Quincy"
Yes, those are good ones, as are Saylor Beall.

But, they aren't inexpensive. Unless, that is, you look at it from a lifetime point of view. An average home mechanic guy will leave a Quincy or Saylor Beall to his kids or grand kids.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_138 View Post
CFM is what you need to consider as the main factor when buying any air compressor.

Depending on your intentions is what your CFM purchase should be.

Just general airing up tires, airbrushing, blowing dirt and grass off your lawnmower etc... You can get away with just about any smaller 20-ish gallon unit.

However, you mentioned an impact gun. My small 3/8" impact gun utilizes about 6.5 CFM and my large 1" gun utilizes 11 CFM.

Cut-off wheels, D/A sanders and air drills utilize a fair amount of CFM also, usually they range from 5-7 CFM depending on brand and size.

I myself do a lot of sandblasting and have a large 400lb. pressurized tank sandblaster that devours 140 CFM. I built/assembled the compressor I have. It consists of two 120 gallon tanks piped in unison with a 8hp 220v motor spinning a large antique 2 stage cast iron pump that I bought 18 years ago and it was probably 20 years old when I bought it!
I have burnt up 2 motors in the 18 years and the pump still works as good as the day I got it.

Anyhow.... CFM, CFM, CFM..... check out the CFM ratings on whatever tools you hope to be using and make the purchase of the compressor accordingly.

he is right there. cfm is primary concern, a belt drive is alot quieter then a direct drive. u also need to know if u have 220. for everything u can do in this hobbie a 2hp 110v will be more than enough. some the brands mentioned in the posts are very reliable but expensive.
oldcoopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #16

I have a Brute 15 gal that I got from Walmart a few years ago for around $230, and came with a set of air tools. It's not great at running the tools, but for the basic stuff I use it for, it's just fine, and haven't had a single problem with it in the 7 years I've had it.
4x4Coastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #17
RCC Addict

I have the craftsman 30 gallon standup I got 10 years ago it works great I run impacts,ratchets,d/a,and mini d/a.
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Air Compressor Suggestions? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Compressor Question. FLB Tools, and Procedures 21 01-12-2020 10:01 PM
air compressor for airbrush brandontodd33 Paint and Body 2 06-02-2009 12:21 PM
Great Air Compressor for Hobby Use Shaun Tools, and Procedures 10 03-20-2009 09:37 PM
Need a special air compressor monstertruck Paint and Body 13 08-16-2008 02:22 AM
What air compressor? robvbro81 Paint and Body 20 09-28-2007 02:24 PM