Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Brazing torch suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Brazing torch suggestions

My .02... I tried every way to cheap out on a torch... the small handheld refillable butane torches (not hot enough), MAPP gas, and MAPP/Oxy rigs from the home improvement stores. (I still have the MAPP and the MAPP/Oxy setups if anyone wants to make an offer.)

While the MAPP base ones get plenty hot enough for brazing my main issue was control. The flame from each of these is huge compared to what you need for brazing RC stuff. It's virtually impossible to braze two close proximity joints without melting the one you just finished. I suspect the same is true for Oxy Acetelene rigs designed for plumbers. I finally gave up and shelled out for the Smith. No regrets at all, it will let even a newby braze like a pro.
Tio Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

is this a good set-up to start with? would it be able to braze a frame together?

Amazon.com: The Little Torch with 5 Tips In a Box- Acetylene: Home Improvement
three2won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by three2won View Post
is this a good set-up to start with? would it be able to braze a frame together?

Amazon.com: The Little Torch with 5 Tips In a Box- Acetylene: Home Improvement
I'd like to know the answer to his questions too. I like that set up and it isn't uber expensive like the other ones.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #24
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGbronco82 View Post
I'd like to know the answer to his questions too. I like that set up and it isn't uber expensive like the other ones.
It good setup, still need regulators, bottles.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
It good setup, still need regulators, bottles.
That was going to be my nest question. I can always ask my dads friend where to get some bottles and regulators as he's a welder.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #26
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
That was going to be my nest question. I can always ask my dads friend where to get some bottles and regulators as he's a welder.
The bottles you can either rent or buy. Same for regulators. Better to buy the regulators either from local welding shop or online.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
The bottles you can either rent or buy. Same for regulators. Better to buy the regulators either from local welding shop or online.
I was just going to but the tanks and regulators and then just have the tanks refilled.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Loco View Post
While the MAPP base ones get plenty hot enough for brazing my main issue was control. The flame from each of these is huge compared to what you need for brazing RC stuff. It's virtually impossible to braze two close proximity joints without melting the one you just finished. I suspect the same is true for Oxy Acetelene rigs designed for plumbers. I finally gave up and shelled out for the Smith. No regrets at all, it will let even a newby braze like a pro.
I actually had no issues with my oxy/acetylene torch. I used the brazing handle along w/ a '00' tip and low gas pressures. The kit in the Amazon link is nice, is basically the same as the Smith setup.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #29
RCC Addict

You guys need to check your local CL for a used setup. I've been on the hunt for a torch setup for months now and also finally came to the conclusion that eventually I'm going to end up wanting more. More heat, more heat control, and, and, and... Long story short, I found a newer portable oxy/acetylene setup somebody had for doing refrigeration/HVAC work for $125 used and complete. It came with a bunch of spare brazing/soldering tips, brand new hoses, spare regulators, and even came with a spare set of older tanks. Not sure if I can have them filled or not yet due to their age, but will look into it. For the money spent though, I'm tickled.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
You guys need to check your local CL for a used setup. I've been on the hunt for a torch setup for months now and also finally came to the conclusion that eventually I'm going to end up wanting more. More heat, more heat control, and, and, and... Long story short, I found a newer portable oxy/acetylene setup somebody had for doing refrigeration/HVAC work for $125 used and complete. It came with a bunch of spare brazing/soldering tips, brand new hoses, spare regulators, and even came with a spare set of older tanks. Not sure if I can have them filled or not yet due to their age, but will look into it. For the money spent though, I'm tickled.
Ah yes, good old CL. Forgot about that one.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Bingo on wanting more eventually.... thats why I beleive a decent oxy/acetylene set should be first. You can them buy the specialty stuff like a mini torch, once the foundation is set.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Started looking and only found 2 that were close to what I was looking for. The rest were $250-300 and that's a bit out of my price range. Hopefully there'll be more in a week or two.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
This http:// Oxygen and Acetylene Gas Welding Set

and some bottles and you are set for almost any need you may have with a torch.
Quote:
Started looking and only found 2 that were close to what I was looking for. The rest were $250-300 and that's a bit out of my price range. Hopefully there'll be more in a week or two.
Did you check out the link I posted above ? Dont know what price range you are into but that is going to be one of the most economical units. And it has regulators..... rent the bottles untill funds allow if that is an issue.

Its not the best, but for limited hobby use, ie: non daily use 5 days a week. You will be fine, that set up will also work with the mini torches as they have the same threads as the full size hoses.

Disclaimer, it is harbor frieght stuff, not the top o the line, regulators may not be as precise, hoses not as durable and possibly stiffer than some, etc... but its cheap and if you decide brazing, gas welding or cutting isnt for you.... you are not out a lot of cash, sell it for cheap on CL and move on or upgrade if the shoe fits.

Last edited by hotwheels000; 01-28-2015 at 07:35 PM.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Did you check out the link I posted above ? Dont know what price range you are into but that is going to be one of the most economical units. And it has regulators..... rent the bottles untill funds allow if that is an issue.

Its not the best, but for limited hobby use, ie: non daily use 5 days a week. You will be fine, that set up will also work with the mini torches as they have the same threads as the full size hoses.

Disclaimer, it is harbor frieght stuff, not the top o the line, regulators may not be as precise, hoses not as durable and possibly stiffer than some, etc... but its cheap and if you decide brazing, gas welding or cutting isnt for you.... you are not out a lot of cash, sell it for cheap on CL and move on or upgrade if the shoe fits.
I did take a look at the link and also searched Craigs list for something similar but didn't find anything. Although, I did find this: 17 PC Welding Welder Cutting Outift Kit Oxy Acetylene Gas Oxygen Regulator | eBay which is close or possibly the same just a little cheaper. I've just been searching around and also making a list of what you guys have suggested. So when I do want one I can choose the one that works best for me.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:51 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

I've also been in the market for a smith torch and been searching around quite a bit for the best deal. So far I've missed out on 2 locally on CL that were smoking deals, prob why they sold so fast. Other wise it's been amazòn or direct for the complete kit. You can find just the torch and hose for cheap multiple places, espicially from aliaexpress but you'll still need regulators and I'm not sure I'd trust buying those from there.

The one you posted from ebay is a fullsize setup, the actual torch handle w the 90° tip is almost 12" long and I believe it's over 15" with the smaller width tips. Working on 1:1 parts it's no problem but on or rc scale it may be a bit of a cluster trying to maneuver it around.

Just me 2 cents but I'd steer clear of a fullsize and keep looking for a good deal on a used one.
-Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Yeah, I'm going to keep looking to see what there is. There just wasn't much on CL right now.

Brazing torch suggestions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brazing torch adamargue Tools, and Procedures 5 02-05-2011 09:11 PM
brazing with a propane torch?? honchoscaler Tools, and Procedures 8 08-04-2010 01:02 PM
Brazing,Micro-torch or Normal size torch? xyzoose Tools, and Procedures 4 03-04-2010 09:47 PM
Brazing Torch Question Nate08 Tools, and Procedures 6 11-07-2009 08:02 AM
Brazing - Torch suggestions Trikster Tools, and Procedures 4 09-07-2006 09:56 PM