Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Roc-Max

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Roc-Max

Here are some pictures of my E-maxx crawler. The chassis is CNC machined from 3/8" thick delrin and is really strong. The front and rear axle braces replace the upper arms and bolt to the bulkheads. These braces also have pockets machined into them to hold servos for the steering. The chassis connects to the front and rear with aluminum tubing that ride in a thrust bearing and ball bearing on each end. This ball bearing in seated in a pocket in the front brace.

The electronics are HS-5645 servos, Tekin rebel 2 esc, and a TQ3 radio. There are two battery mounts. One in the front and one in the back. I am using the one in the back for the radio and esc. The battery is held in with rubber O-rings. These wrap around post on the battery mount and hold the battery really nicely.

The body post are the same distance apart right to left as on the t/e-maxx. Front to back they are about 1" closer together than stock. This lets me mount the stock E-maxx body with only a little trimming and making two new holes in the bed.

The links for the servos and axles are mounted in back of the axles. This makes them much less likely to be hit and damaged.

Bret
Attached Images

Last edited by bret4; 06-10-2006 at 02:37 PM.
bret4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Two more pictures.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

holy fark shes beautiful. cant wait to see her tomorrow!!! you bringing wifey to video tape?
peej410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

She can't go this time. I hope to get some video of my truck tomorrow. Maybe you would like to drive it while I shoot some video?

Bret
Old 06-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickclod
aint this the 1st maxx stick
Could be.

Bret
Old 06-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #6
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickclod
aint this the 1st maxx stick

Umm, No

Very nice truck... Have you noticed it having any torque issues? On mine, with having the smaller tires, it doesn't add the strain as the bigger tires do. Was gonna build a bigger truck to test out the same suspension setup.

Edit- Looking at the pics again. Does the tube backbone even go all the way from axle to axle? If so, how did you get around the trans being set in like that? Any under body shots?

Nice truck, but looks a little top heavy. Especially with both motors

Last edited by TwistedCreations; 06-10-2006 at 06:39 PM.
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

i would love to drive while you record. but only if i can record while you drive mine haha
Old 06-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
Colt Python/SR9c

Yeah cause mine is a maxx also. So his wasn't the first But still not sure if that backbone goes all the way through
Old 06-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

cant wait to drive it tomorrow !
Old 06-10-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I'm new to this so I haven't seen your stick maxx crawler. Do you have any pictures of it?

On my truck the tube does not go from the front axle to the back. It attaches to the chassis. The chassis holds the transmission not the tube. I don't see where it would be any more top heavy than any other maxx crawler. If anything many are taller than my crawler. It's about 4 5/8" under the middle.

The shocks setup with only one on the front and one on the back help with the torque issue. It's not that bad going forward. In reverse it does torque some.

Good, we can get some video tomorrow.

Here is another picture that may clear up your questions.

Bret
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2006, 07:29 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

drool....i wish my stick maxx looked that good
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:38 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

after seeing this i want to sell my tuber and build one of these!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Maybe I'll have to get a vender star if people like it enough. Right now it runs really good. I'd like to test it a little more before I say I am going to sell it. See how you like it tomorrow when you drive it Pete.

Bret
Old 06-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #14
Colt Python/SR9c

Bret, here is mine Something different 2.2 Maxx

It is only a 2.2, since I had never seen anyone build one and decided to try something different. Plus I didn't want to put more strain on the suspension setup before I seen how it acted as a 2.2. If it did good( as it has been so far ) I was going to do a bigger version.

As you stated, I found that the suspension really helps alot to stop the torque roll, as long as you mount the shocks on the right way. That way you can use the shocks as limiters since they are fully extended. I get very minimal torque in reverse. Maybe you can run a thicker oil in your shocks?

What weight oil is in them now?

I just see it as being more top heavy since your running 2 motors, as most only run 1.

Very nice job of thinking out of the box also. What is the total weight of the truck?
Old 06-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

That is a interesting design. I didn't have to use links from the axles to the chassis. The bearings are strong enough to take the load by themself.

Now I am just running the stock oil in the shocks. I'm going to try other weights when I get the chance. Only thing that would help with is torque in reverse which doesn't seem as important right now.

I haven't tried to run one motor yet. Some people have stated that their full size crawler was under powered with just one motor. That is why I ran two for now. Lots of things to try I guess.

I have a idea for building my own low transmission that has the motor mounted lower for better CG. Have to see when I get the time to build it.

Thanks for the praise! don't have a scale that can weigh something in this range. Doesn't seem any heavier than the stock maxx. Maybe less.

Bret
Old 06-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #16
Colt Python/SR9c

Oh ok...

Well even in my actual stick, I changed the shock oil to like 80wt. It takes the "floppyness" out of the suspension and gives it a more controled suspension cycle. But since it is only in reverse as you stated, no biggie at this time then :-P

I have always had great power with a GD600 and either a MM motor or a 27t Johnson motor. Got around 90min. runtimes with either setup.

But like ya said,"lots of things to try".
Old 06-11-2006, 05:09 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I'll have to try 80w and see what happens. Sounds good. Can't beat those run times!

Bret
Old 06-11-2006, 07:59 AM   #18
RCC Addict

amazing work, bret! as far as the shock issue goes, you could try to put some fuel tubing on the shock shaft.

i used to run one 55 turn lathe motor in my maxx with a 73/9 gearing combination. it wasn't underpowered at all.

the one drawback to my maxx, and i see it with yours, is width. using those revo knuckles really made my rig wide, and hard to get through spots that clods could clear. don't get me wrong, your rig looks amazing! i'm looking foward to hearing how it does on the rocks!

EDIT-i just noticed the behind the axle steering. rad!

Last edited by gregrocks90046; 06-11-2006 at 09:17 AM.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:04 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

hey bret ill bring some 80 weight so if you want to try and tune it when we are there we can...
Old 06-11-2006, 09:03 AM   #20
Colt Python/SR9c

PJ- I would take it and let him try it. Ya know it only takes a few seconds to change oils As Greg mentioned, The width is the only problem I ever had with my Maxxes also. So I finally went back to a normal width. I had trouble fitting through comp gates. Maybe if you do end up making the chassis/axle parts, you can narrow them back down to like 11.5 - 12" WMS-WMS wide. That way overall width would be around 14-16" depending of what rims you use

Take plenty of pics today and let us know how it did.

BTW- We want some video too :-P