Thread: New Traxxas Scaler - Land Rover Defender 110

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 06:10 AM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Traxxas Scaler - Land Rover Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
You pay tax and shipping ????
Better get a new shop....Try Tower, no tax or shipping and no coupons!

Hang up and Drive

Yes taxes, if you happen to live in the same state as Great Planes (Tower Hobbies) or Horizon Hobby is based or have a warehouse,such as myself.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2017, 07:39 AM   #102
I joined the Band!

i was joking.. fyi..

but so in a serious note while this seems great.. couldnt do an axial fest with a traxxis truck... hah... so maybe buy it and swap frame out...

but im seriously considering this or the new cma (whatever that other new portal rig is) as the basis for my 1:1 .... super stoked the tides are changing and more options out there soon...
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You gotta love that. VP and the fanboys will be the first to bash China for stealing their designs yet Harley stole photos. It's no different. In the end it's stealing.

Harley bashing.......

Pictures he showed are all over the net, as they were released as publicity for the Nuremberg show.

How were they stolen ?

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #104

Quote:
Harley bashing.......

Pictures he showed are all over the net, as they were released as publicity for the Nuremberg show.

How were they stolen ?

Hang up and Drive
It's not Harley bashing. It's the truth. You can't take a photo that's not yours and then put your name on it and claim it as your own. That's a copyright violation which is stealing. I'm not saying he's the only one that stole the photos.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Default New Traxxas Scaler - Land Rover Defender 110

Better check that out. He is not profiting from it and as a news photo it is in the public domain.
A photo release will state that routinely .

Good source
http://blog.kenkaminesky.com/photogr...t-and-the-law/

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 02-07-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #106

Quote:
Better check that out. He is not profiting from it and as a news photo it is in the public domain.
A photo release will state that routinely .

Hang up and Drive
I'm not a copyright lawyer and I assume you're not either. This is a topic that could be discussed all day and we still wouldn't fully understand it. Just because he's not directly profiting from a photo doesn't mean there isn't copyright infringement. You can claim fair use, but claiming the photo as your own, such as Harley putting his watermark on the photo, is not fair use. It's slimy at the very least. The photo is not public domain. The person that took the photo owns it. That's how it works. If Traxxas had released the photos to the press then it would be a different story and you would be bound to their terms.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #107
I wanna be Dave

No I'm not a douchbag lawyer, just in the Photographic industry. When a picture is used as a news item copyright is vague, but usually comes down to profit.... Harley isn't using it that way. If Traxxas had released them then copyright would apply. When the press releases it changes the use.

Quite complex when it shouldn't be.

Hang up and Drive
Old 02-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
Even though he plastered his name all over the pictures, they arent his.
i dont care who i piss off by saying this, but taking somebody elses shots and slapping your name over the top is shady.

edit - fixed to be slightly more correct and a little less aggressive.

Last edited by badhoopty; 02-07-2017 at 11:22 AM.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #109

Can´t wait till we get it to Sweden.
Dennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
No I'm not a douchbag lawyer, just in the Photographic industry. When a picture is used as a news item copyright is vague, but usually comes down to profit.... Harley isn't using it that way. If Traxxas had released them then copyright would apply. When the press releases it changes the use.

Hang up and Drive
I like Josh, and I don't think he would do it if he thought it was illegal, but I agree with Jato. since harley has a website directing people to a youtube channel that he profits from, he is using any and all photos or other media for his monetary gain when he does so on his website, youtube or facebook page under the Harley designs logo.

but I digress, either way I like that he used the photos to try and scale it out a little. I think he's a little off on the 14" wheelbase, but if it is a Bomber-size rig, it will be very popular just because it will be mainstream size and a Traxxas marketed vehicle.

I wonder if they'll start showing up at rock crawling and rock racing events like they do at other motorsport events now.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #111
Rock Crawler

Surprised so many are positive to this truck. Looks like I have to put out some of the all familiar RCC negativity
There is so many things putting me off this rig, so until we know more I'm definitely steering a long way away from this turd.

First off, the size. It looks way to big if you are used to crawl with people with the usual 10 scale crawlers.
The body also looks like they had very little time to do details, even the Dingo has sharper edges and a more Landy look. With a roof and some grill details the dingo is in fact a decent D90 lexanbody.
And with the black windows people has to buy a new body anyway to get clear windows, and for those a different body will probably be wanted, but what is available at that wheelbase?

Another downside is lockable diffs, that's purely ment for the preteen kids, even teenagers understand that's just a gimmick that is prone to fail. Same with 2speed, we live in 2017, 2speed is useless with the motoroptions we got today. BTW can't believe Axial also did fall in that pit.

Furthermore the Traxxas electronics is crap! The servos fail all the time, the tiny as well as the std size. The XL5 is useless for crawlers since it lacks dragbreak. And I take tactic and spektrum radios any day over that Traxxas shit.
The idiotic use of servos to control useless stuff also means you have no free channels on a normal radio for useful stuff like winch or whatever.
The axles and driveline looks decent but anxious to see the reduction. The pumpkins looks small so they better have some reduction in the portals also, not like the MST CFX-W that waisted a good opportunity to make good portals with decent reduction.

And if it is correct with the wheel and tire size I can imagine that there is many that shows up for comps that is not allowed to participate.

Signing off in a hope that I'm balancing out a bit the rant level on this site, or the lack of it.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Quote:

Hang up and Drive
I would argue that he does profit from it due to Youtube (and possibly Twitter and/or Instagram) followers. People seeing that photo for the first time will search for him and find his videos. More hits, views, and followers=more $$.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #113
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelowDoom View Post
Surprised so many are positive to this truck. Looks like I have to put out some of the all familiar RCC negativity
There is so many things putting me off this rig, so until we know more I'm definitely steering a long way away from this turd.

First off, the size. It looks way to big if you are used to crawl with people with the usual 10 scale crawlers.
The body also looks like they had very little time to do details, even the Dingo has sharper edges and a more Landy look. With a roof and some grill details the dingo is in fact a decent D90 lexanbody.
And with the black windows people has to buy a new body anyway to get clear windows, and for those a different body will probably be wanted, but what is available at that wheelbase?

Another downside is lockable diffs, that's purely ment for the preteen kids, even teenagers understand that's just a gimmick that is prone to fail. Same with 2speed, we live in 2017, 2speed is useless with the motoroptions we got today. BTW can't believe Axial also did fall in that pit.

Furthermore the Traxxas electronics is crap! The servos fail all the time, the tiny as well as the std size. The XL5 is useless for crawlers since it lacks dragbreak. And I take tactic and spektrum radios any day over that Traxxas shit.
The idiotic use of servos to control useless stuff also means you have no free channels on a normal radio for useful stuff like winch or whatever.
The axles and driveline looks decent but anxious to see the reduction. The pumpkins looks small so they better have some reduction in the portals also, not like the MST CFX-W that waisted a good opportunity to make good portals with decent reduction.

And if it is correct with the wheel and tire size I can imagine that there is many that shows up for comps that is not allowed to participate.

Signing off in a hope that I'm balancing out a bit the rant level on this site, or the lack of it.
Wes S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I would argue that he does profit from it due to Youtube (and possibly Twitter and/or Instagram) followers. People seeing that photo for the first time will search for him and find his videos. More hits, views, and followers=more $$.

Indirect revenue..... no he doesn't profit . I can't stand the guy and I'm sticking up for him ?

Hang up and Drive
Old 02-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #115
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Hahahaha I've owned 6 traxxas and the electrics are far from crap, I've had one servo fail through expecting far too much. As for idiotic use of servos for diff locking etc..... you sound like my ex girlfriend. She talked a load of rubbish as well pmsl
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #116
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
Hahahaha I've owned 6 traxxas and the electrics are far from crap, I've had one servo fail through expecting far too much. As for idiotic use of servos for diff locking etc..... you sound like my ex girlfriend. She talked a load of rubbish as well pmsl
Why would you want to open the diffs? Do you run your scalers on tarmac?
I have owned 5 traxxas trucks, 3 Summit ans 2 slash. Not impressed by the electronics on any of them. They should consider to make kits, so people who dont want that crap dont have to buy it. A bit more understandable with remote diffs on a monstertruck, but I tend to steer away from it on them also. Only reason I have owned the summits was I got them in good trades and sold them off pretty quick. have tryed to like them, but the last one was defenetly the last one. This new truck, at least has to have less slop in the drivetrain. The Summit had almost a quarter turn of the wheels in slop.
The Slashes are good trucks though, really fun and solid. But again, they are simple design, they should have gone on that route on this one to.

My guess these will have a similar fate as the funnycars.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #117
Rock Stacker

The only thing disappointing to me is the massive variance in 1/10 scale! You buy a twin hammers that straddles the line of being a mini and go the direct opposite when buying a YETI. Is the Twin hammers a 1/10 scale for "little people" and the YETI a tenth of a scale for Giant people? Try to make a Honcho look scale pulling a Yeti TT.....
mHoups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #118
Quarry Creeper

True! There SHOULD be some standard across the industry..
4drmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #119
RCC Addict

Expect it guys, perhaps a lot sooner than later if I can "read thru the message" I got about this thing. There's a thread on Traxxas' site about it, and the mods HAVE NOT REMOVED it. In fact, the mod I have correspondence with said "Seen it (thread), pics..., and it stays." Traxxas is quicker to shut stuff down than a particular mod I can think of on here, even if it is brands they don't condone.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:20 PM   #120

Quote:
Why would you want to open the diffs? Do you run your scalers on tarmac?
i often wish i could stop the one wheel in the rear with all the weight on it from spinning while trying to climb or bounce up something sketchy, without that rear tire with all the weight on it trying to flip the rig over.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote

New Traxxas Scaler - Land Rover Defender 110 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Land Rover Defender 110 dimensions jonesssy123 Paint and Body 5 03-18-2014 04:41 PM
Land Rover Defender 110 Camel Trophy emiliocampi Scale Videos! 0 07-15-2013 07:38 PM
Land Rover Defender 110 Station Wagon Aléxis Marques 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 05-17-2013 11:36 AM
***land rover defender 110 camel trophy*** igonzalezlago 1.9 Scale Rigs 20 11-30-2011 11:13 PM
Land Rover Defender 110 SW build help Le0Heart Axial SCX-10 1 09-26-2011 08:53 PM