Notices

Thread: Traxxas Scale Truck - how it will effect the RC world

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 06:27 AM   #81
RCC Addict

Default Re: Traxxas Scale Truck - how it will effect the RC world

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlinMike View Post
Lol that reminds me somewhere I heard high jumping into water can force enough into the ol anal canal to kill a person. Might of been on "1000 ways to die" or something.

I don't know if it will kill ya but god damn it hurts. Lol
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #82
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanuck View Post
nothing is "waterproof" even you
There is a pretty big difference between stuff that can't really tolerate water but is claimed to be 'splash proof' and things that are correctly coated for usage around water.

I don't exactly expect to be able to submarine a truck.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:10 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
Well personally i think traxxas have always succeeded at what they set out to do. The biggest rc company around is going to have done some serious homework. A massive ammount i
of work has gone into the transmission and portals alone. I think only an idiot would be surprised its good.
X10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8turbo View Post
Traxxas will force the others to step up the quality.
Yes, about time too! I'm excited to drive one of these new Traxxas!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #84
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I have a few on the way. I'm as excited for this as the scx10ii. The 10ii has been a great rig. The traxxas will be quite different , but we will see how they stack up. Locking diffs and two speeds aren't my thing, so I'll be extra critical of that area.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

It'll make me short $500 lol.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
It'll make me short $500 lol.
Come on Nate, pull the trigger, you know you have to have it!!!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Lol, we'll see Ernie.

I have a long list of needs.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #88
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanuck View Post
nothing is "waterproof" even you
true, but as I understand it:

Water "proof" = submersible to a given depth, ie it's able to withstand external water pressure from entering the given item. this doesn't account for corrosion that occurs from repeated exposure without proper maintenance. By those standards, even my Scuba gear isn't water "proof"

Splash Proof = you can get some water on it and it won't immediately break.

Frankly, most hobby grade items (escs, servos, and even RX) can be labeled as "splash proof", because their external cases don't make it easy for water to get in.

Splash proof is basically a cheap way of the marketing team making it sound like the product can handle, say, fording a stream, but when it can't they're able to deny any kind of warranty claim.

So, IMO, Traxxas does deserve kudos for having the stones to put out water proof electronics. To me, it sounds like if that stream is a bit deeper than I thought, I have a chance to recover the model.

BTW, generally speaking 2.4ghz signals can't penetrate water (the RC sub community really got screwed on that one), so in reality the water proof stuff is still for those "oopsie" moments on the trail.
AggressorBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #89
RCC Addict

I feel the "beating a dead horse" analogy fits the thread at this point. No new info just repeating what's been said already in the thread.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #90
Quarry Creeper

But beating a live one will get you in heaps of trouble.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

I looked at this huge fat ugly looking truck at Hobby Town USA. I think it would have a place in the 2.2 world as a scaler. Up next to a 1/10 scale Jeep, Toyota, Chevy truck SCX10 ii or say the Vaterra Bronco. And it looks like an armoured truck with a fake winch. Seeing this actuallymake it through a class 1 or 2 course would be fun to watch.
Don't get me wrong. I've never had a Traxxas vehicle I didn't like. They make a fine product. I just feel they may have tried to market this to folks who after making this their 1st crawler could be disappointed. And may not appreciate what it takes to make a real scale crawler.
luckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #92
RCC Addict

And by real scale crawler you are referring to an out of the box SCX, Ascender or Vaterra? Or by make a real scale crawler do you mean take one of those and make it into a capable scale truck to compete with? Because all of them are subpar out of the box.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #93
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
And by real scale crawler you are referring to an out of the box SCX, Ascender or Vaterra? Or by make a real scale crawler do you mean take one of those and make it into a capable scale truck to compete with? Because all of them are subpar out of the box.
Right. The 1% of crawlers who actually compete will never get a RTR scale truck aimed at competition. It won't ever be "good enough", a large company cannot keep up with small aftermarket companies that only make comp gear (we have a decade of proving this on the forum), and the rules are a moving target that will likely change before a rig is even through prototype phase.

Look at the rig for what it is really worth in a comp rig. Axles, and maybe transmission. Or probably just part of the axles and strong aftermarket innovation if we are being honest. What is stock on your c2 rig? Axle cases? Hexes?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:45 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Watching a stock scx or vaterra on a c1 or c2 course is funny. Haven't seen a stock scx 2 on any course live. Seems like you can't get one anywhere.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #95
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I have a few on the way. I'm as excited for this as the scx10ii. The 10ii has been a great rig. The traxxas will be quite different , but we will see how they stack up. Locking diffs and two speeds aren't my thing, so I'll be extra critical of that area.
The 2-speed is an obvious nod to bashing, which is fine with me because all of my other crawlers have 2-speeds so I can have fun with them on the flat ground in between obstacles.

The remote-lockable diffs are harder to appreciate at first-glance when coming from a pure crawler background. On the one hand, they have an obvious benefit when driving in high gear because unlocked diffs will help reduce traction-rolling in corners. But I think there's a more subtle benefit: Turning sharp corners when crawling. 4WD with locked diffs causes a lot of push which widens the turning radius of a crawler, and we normally compensate for that by overdriving the front axle so the front tires spin faster like they need to when cornering. But overdriven front wheels are *always* spinning faster, which causes constant torque-twist on the chassis. Why not unlock the front diff when turning sharp corners instead? That would reduce push by allowing the front wheels to diff-out slightly. This truck is probably set up like the Summit, with the diff-lock switch offering "Both Unlocked/Front Locked/Both Locked" settings, but there's nothing stopping someone from switching the servo wires to change the "Front Locked" setting to "Rear Locked".
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #96

i've had alot of times where i woulda loved to take power away from the tire with the most traction. like going up something and the tire with the most traction wanting to flip the thing over backwards. or when you get a tire bound up.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:43 PM   #97
RCC Addict

I'm seeing on Facebook they're already trickling into consumers homes out west. Just waiting on my RPP order. As many years as I've done this hobby, a brand new truck like this has me anxious to get it already. Cmon cmon cmon RPP I think I've checked my email 20x a day waiting for it to be shipped.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:35 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

I think they nailed the look.

Except the wheels.

If you don't like the Defender look then change the body. It's not like it's rocket science or something.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #99

I just checked it out. I have 6 Axial rigs. So... its really sweet and will crush. the problem... the body. Big, Heavy, and makes the rig so top heavy. When traxxas comes out with a different body... Look out. I will buy as soon as that happens. For now.... no. it flips super easy. If you weighted the wheels and such... it would be ok. OK. The body wrecks it.
v8turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #100
RCC Addict

You have 6 axial rigs yet need traxxas to release a lighter body? .... ok. I'll just sell the body immediately like already planned and choose my own of dozens already available.

Traxxas Scale Truck - how it will effect the RC world - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc 1.9, 2.2 and 1/6 scale pics. With water added for effect. Norton General Crawlers 0 12-25-2015 09:57 PM
Brushless Traxxas E-Revo Vs Exceed Madbeast 1/8th Scale Rc Monster Truck hobbypartz Vendors Market 0 04-14-2011 09:13 PM
Has anybody seen the Nissan truck at Wally world? jwrape Chit Chat 34 01-17-2006 08:20 PM