Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Tower Hobbies is canceling backorders for TRX-4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #81

Default Re: Tower Hobbies is canceling backorders for TRX-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbet View Post
RPP is my go to for all things crawling/trail related. Period. I've never been a huge fan of A Main. Just a personal preference. RPP for most all of my crawling/trailing needs. Tower for my race needs. A Main when all else fails.
AMain sucks! They are a last resort for me right in front of Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
I just looked up the Arrma Fazon. Wow, pretty blatant.
Exactly! Traxxas is just protecting their intellectual property. Arrma should come up with its own designs and they wouldn't have a problem. I don't see how anybody can side with Arrma/Hobbico on this one.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #82
clm
Quarry Creeper

To be honest the Revo suspension is only revolutionary in that they put it on the monster truck in that fashion. It is a standard setup on f1 cars for years and was even the feature that makes me adore the old Schumacher Top Cat from the early 90's. Locking diffs in the diff brain? Well Arrma came up with a more feature packed version then Traxxas' open/one end locked/both locked setup.

I would say Arrma used the e-revo as an influence for their design, but none of the actual aspects were a fundamentally new design when Traxxas packaged them either.

Traxxas is kinda using their "patents" in an anti competitive patent trollish way, like how they went after another manufacturer before for a waterproof receiver box. I can't imagine waterproofing things before Traxxas came out with it...

I do own 2 Traxxas vehicles but I do think they are somewhat of an RC Bully at times.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:15 AM   #83
RCC Addict

All the Traxxas/Hobbico hate explains why Axial was getting so pissed when they saw a Traxxas at Axialfest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelowDoom View Post
My point is that you all whine about one dealer discontinue them. It's not a big deal. If you are loyal tower customers there is a lot of other more interesting trucks to go for.
But as I see it. In the online crawling world, there is no other US rc shop that has embraced the crawling ganger as Amain has. It has become a really good shop for the crawler community. And it has the TRX-4.
As for my self, I'll stick to other stuff. And if I want a portal rig I'll rather go for the MST CFX-W.
End of whine.

To say the TRX-4 doesn't interest YOU is one thing...and would be understandable, but to say it isn't interesting is ridiculous. It is far better featured than any other RTR out there....portals, 2 speed, unlockable diffs, front motor, inner fenders...nothing else has that from the factory. Has Axial even released the 2 speed parts for the 10.2 yet?

RTR electronics pretty much all suck. If they put high end stuff in it, the price would double.

By no means am I saying that the TRX-4 is perfect, nor am I saying that it is the best scaler out there, but it is far from junk. If you hate it that much, stay out of this sub forum.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:41 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
All the Traxxas/Hobbico hate explains why Axial was getting so pissed when they saw a Traxxas at Axialfest.
I don't think that had anything to do with it. It's called axialfest not Traxxas fest.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
To be honest the Revo suspension is only revolutionary in that they put it on the monster truck in that fashion. It is a standard setup on f1 cars for years and was even the feature that makes me adore the old Schumacher Top Cat from the early 90's. Locking diffs in the diff brain? Well Arrma came up with a more feature packed version then Traxxas' open/one end locked/both locked setup.

I would say Arrma used the e-revo as an influence for their design, but none of the actual aspects were a fundamentally new design when Traxxas packaged them either.

Traxxas is kinda using their "patents" in an anti competitive patent trollish way, like how they went after another manufacturer before for a waterproof receiver box. I can't imagine waterproofing things before Traxxas came out with it...

I do own 2 Traxxas vehicles but I do think they are somewhat of an RC Bully at times.
Defending patents is not patent trolling. Patents exist for a reason. You have the right to defend them for the same reason. If it was your business and the competition was infringing on your patent you would feel differently.

Quote:

To say the TRX-4 doesn't interest YOU is one thing...and would be understandable, but to say it isn't interesting is ridiculous. It is far better featured than any other RTR out there....portals, 2 speed, unlockable diffs, front motor, inner fenders...nothing else has that from the factory. Has Axial even released the 2 speed parts for the 10.2 yet?

RTR electronics pretty much all suck. If they put high end stuff in it, the price would double.

By no means am I saying that the TRX-4 is perfect, nor am I saying that it is the best scaler out there, but it is far from junk. If you hate it that much, stay out of this sub forum.
Axial sponsors the fest and therefore controls everything. I get why they don't want competition there, but in all honesty it makes Axial look like they're scared of the competition. And they have good reason to be IMO. There's lots of new competition out there with new designs that don't have supply issues.

You can't talk to some people. Temple of Doom is one of them.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If you knew patents well, you would know there are 2 types; Design and Utility. What you are saying is they used the design to create there, but the design slightly differs. If Traxxas only had a design patent you would be right, however Traxxas was awarded a Utility patent. This covers the function of the design, so what it looks like does not need to be exact.

In a design patent basically to be copying and infringing the general test is would a normal non-technical person consider them the same thing to just their eye based on drawings and or samples.

A utility patent the wording is actually the important part which covers the function of the idea. They 2 items could look wildly different but function the same way, this would be infringement based on utility. Or in the case of Arrma and Traxxas there is clear copying but sure its slightly different, the problem is it reads to function the same way. The drawings included are for illustrative points for the wording. They are not what the patent is nor do those have to be the only methods or drawings used which could cause infringement.

Also the Traxxas utility is not just a cantilever suspension. It's about how it is mounting to items located on the chassis. Traxxas did not and would not win a patent on just the thought of cantilever suspensions, since that is others ideas. What is covered is using a cantilever suspension and with how it mounts to the rest of the vehicle and is integrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
To be honest the Revo suspension is only revolutionary in that they put it on the monster truck in that fashion.
Traxxas's patent isn't for just using a cantilever suspension. It's about how is it mounted and used. Nothing on the Revo is revolutionary or patentable when you say just cantilever suspension. What is however is how they integrated it to mount to the bulkheads and chassis.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Well let's look into those features.
Portals: positive - Gives better axle reduction, negative - raises cog, not worth it. So the fact it has portals is a downside overall.
Two speed, yet another pointless feature that take up more space and adds weight. 4wd and 2wd shift would be more useful. Or a dig.
Unlockable diffs.....its a crawler. This feature would be disabled 99% of the time. Yet another pointless feature. It also greatly increases parts in the diffs, making it a pain in the but to wrench on, or change wheelbase. and adds another of the crappy Traxxas mini servos. A brown out of the servo in open position and the truck would be useless as a crawler.
Front motor. Yes that is good. But the truck is still packed shit full of crap between the rails, with no good realistate to move stuff around. If it had a front motor with a small and simple transmission and t-case, then it would be another case.
Inner fenders that's good, hope more truck can come with it in the future, but I think it is best the mount to the chassis.
Have already bought some to use on another truck.
And to why I comment on this thread? Because the Traxxas Hobbico issue is interesting. Why the TRX-4 is debated? Cus some of you found it so strange that I didn't like the TRX-4. Well get over yourself, it's not for everyone and it's not that great. And I do not hate it.
I like it in that way it brought up another fender flare option, and cheap high lift jacks, mirrors and snorkels that can be used on other stuff.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Damn first bad review on it, glad I didn't get one !

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #89

Quote:
Portals: positive - Gives better axle reduction, negative - raises cog, not worth it. So the fact it has portals is a downside overall.
Two speed, yet another pointless feature that take up more space and adds weight. 4wd and 2wd shift would be more useful. Or a dig.
Unlockable diffs.....its a crawler. This feature would be disabled 99% of the time. Yet another pointless feature. It also greatly increases parts in the diffs, making it a pain in the but to wrench on, or change wheelbase. and adds another of the crappy Traxxas mini servos. A brown out of the servo in open position and the truck would be useless as a crawler.
Front motor. Yes that is good. But the truck is still packed shit full of crap between the rails, with no good realistate to move stuff around. If it had a front motor with a small and simple transmission and t-case, then it would be another case.
Inner fenders that's good, hope more truck can come with it in the future, but I think it is best the mount to the chassis.
And to why I comment on this thread? Because the Traxxas Hobbico issue is interesting. Why the TRX-4 is debated? Cus some of you found it so strange that I didn't like the TRX-4. Well get over yourself, it's not for everyone and it's not that great. And I do not hate it.
I like it in that way it brought up another fender flare option, and cheap high lift jacks, mirrors and snorkels that can be used on other stuff.
Norway must suck really bad if RCs make you this miserable!
Old 08-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #90
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Norway must suck really bad if RCs make you this miserable!
^^This....It's just hobby, not some crusade. Not too mention way off topic.
NickelPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

Ok so I'm miserable cus I'm defending my opinion? New to me. Reason I come here is cus I enjoy rc. Go figure?? And it's you guys that is making such a big deal of me not liking the truck. If it just me that don't like it, why not move on and forget about it? No you have to ridicule me for my opinion. Like I said it's not for everyone and it's not that great. Move on and discuss the law suit instead.
I am perfectly fine either way.
Off to wrench on my bike for a change of pace. Have been wrenching rc the last couple of evenings.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #92

Quote:
Ok so I'm miserable cus I'm defending my opinion? New to me. Reason I come here is cus I enjoy rc. Go figure?? And it's you guys that is making such a big deal of me not liking the truck. If it just me that don't like it, why not move on and forget about it? No you have to ridicule me for my opinion. Like I said it's not for everyone and it's not that great. Move on and discuss the law suit instead.
I am perfectly fine either way.
Off to wrench on my bike for a change of pace. Have been wrenching rc the last couple of evenings.
Just an FYI - that's not the way it comes off in text. Maybe it's lost in translation.

When you say "bike" do you mean bicycle or motorcycle? If motorcycle, what do you ride?
Old 08-03-2017, 02:50 PM   #93
clm
Quarry Creeper

I wouldn't say you are miserable at all. I would say you don't like the car, which is fine.

I do wonder at times why on all the various fan boards someone will come in, make inflammatory comments, then just continue page after page to argue with people about how only their view is right. I am probably guilty about that too, but then again my view is not "right" it is only mine.

The particular truck this sub forum is about is great for some people and isn't for others. A set of features one person says is worthless and should not be in there another will buy to add to a vehicle that doesn't have it... two speed transmissions for example, many people buy those for trucks that did not come with them? The portals have been around for years. The heavy body is really a wash, some people will trash them and put the lightest piece of painted saran wrap they can on the truck, others will pull it off and put a plastic brick that is many times it's weight on.

The diffs only have 2 extra parts to make them lockers, a pin and a lock ring, and they are not even inside the diff they are slid on the end of it. Add on to that a shift fork and the cable attached to the axle housing, and there is very little added to the axles. Swapping to spools will be fairly easy when the time comes if you wish to do that.

This truck and any other one is only an empty canvas for your ideas (and paycheck) to fill up.

Edit: Oh, and if you want one that is totally horrible... I have it right in front of me! This $69 HG p402 "kit". I bought it knowing I would get what I payed for, but when something is totally that bad it just gives all the more options to tinker with heh.

Last edited by clm; 08-03-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Two speed isn't pointless for everyone. I like brushed motors in my crawlers over a brushless and I cant get the wheel speed and low end I want with a single speed. I like to jog with it between crawl spots sometimes and with out a two speed like I have in my Twin Hammers, wraith, and SCX10 I couldn't do that.
More people are into scale driving not hard core crawling and lockable diffs is super scale. I have a land cruiser with locking diffs and only use them when necessary. That's one of the reasons I love my scaled out summit. I like to try and drive similar to my real rig.

I think your confusing your opinions with facts. The fact that its selling so well shows it's what a lot of people want. It's a super scale, reliable and capable out of the box scale 4x4. Cash in Traxxas $$$$ you deserve it.

I'll be at the till cash in hand lol

I typed this almost auto correctly free
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:02 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Damn first bad review on it, glad I didn't get one !

Hang up and Drive
That wasn't a review. Sounds like doesn't own one.

On a side note
Love my locking diff's make it great when one rear tire is bound up and want it to stop grabbing. Its like a sorcca legal poor mans dig. And unlock the front for those tight corners you dont think you'll make. Only feature I dont use is cruise control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Evo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #96
clm
Quarry Creeper

Yeah... I don't even know how to enable it, and I don't care

No point complaining about a free 'feature' though heh.

Edit: I was talking about the cruise control!
Old 08-03-2017, 04:21 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Of course he doesn't own one ! With all those faults he working on his bike!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:42 PM   #98
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Just an FYI - that's not the way it comes off in text. Maybe it's lost in translation.

When you say "bike" do you mean bicycle or motorcycle? If motorcycle, what do you ride?
And yes my fist language is not English, so maybe I'm not expressing myself 100%.

I ride a Triumph.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #99
clm
Quarry Creeper

British bikes rock. I drive, well ok it has the engine out right now so 'Drive' is not a correct term, an Austin Mini Moke
Old 08-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #100
RCC Addict

I get that Axialfest is about Axial products, and I get that they don't want you running competitor vehicles in any of their events, but when they freak out about someone just driving around the campground, its a bit much.

Quote:
AngelofGloom, the unlockable diffs are fun to play around with. It adds challenge and helps with steering. I'm sure there will be options to full time lock them if you are so inclined.
I don't care for 2 speed transmissions most of the time A good brushless setup will get all the low end or top speed you need, BUT I do admit, on this truck it is fun to play with since 2nd is geared so high and it is tough enough to handle the speed (unlike a TF2).
Portals raise the center of gravity a bit, but the added gear reduction and clearance is a fine trade off since there is little to no torque twist, unlike the Ascender.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tower Hobbies is canceling backorders for TRX-4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tower Hobbies? mhuffman_81 General Crawlers 5 04-15-2013 01:27 PM
Tower Hobbies jhtoy Chit Chat 34 03-06-2012 06:28 AM
tower hobbies chino63 Chit Chat 28 10-17-2006 12:19 PM
Tower Hobbies plyr2k Chit Chat 16 06-09-2006 11:01 PM