Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Traxxas TRX-4 vs. SCX10 III

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2020, 08:48 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Traxxas TRX-4 vs. SCX10 III

I’ve been out of the crawler game for a while and I’m looking to get back into it thanks to my step son and his trx-4 bronco.

I am so split ticket between the trx-4 sport kit, and the scx10.3...

I’m really leaning toward the 10.3. The machined diff gears are a big plus to me. It has a bigger, heavier spool. Also, I like the shock design better. On a personal note, the tranny looks so fun to build regardless if you use the 2 spd or dig.

The trx-4 has better portals overall. Wider gears, better mounting of the portal case and the CV joint with the gear built in is really slick. I also like the simple chassis layout.

The trx-4 has way more aftermarket options as it’s been out longer. But the 10.3 will most likely see the same in short order.

The 10.3 may be better value with the included beadlocks and fairly detailed scale body but early comparisons show the trx-4 may be a better performer at the end of the day.

Choices, choices...

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2020, 06:54 AM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
I am so split ticket between the trx-4 sport kit, and the scx10.3...
RC Review on YouTube has been running comparisons for the last week or so, he posted one a few days ago comparing the TRX4 Sport and SCX10.3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udUfDHc8u3w

Admittedly, he is a bit of a TRX4 Sport fanboy, he seems to prefer it in almost every comparison except for a few, but he seems to back it up with reasonable justifications.
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Admittedly, he is a bit of a TRX4 Sport fanboy, he seems to prefer it in almost every comparison except for a few, but he seems to back it up with reasonable justifications.

It seems it's impossible to demonstrate one truck is consistently more capable than the rest, without people on the internet calling you a fanboy.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:12 AM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
It seems it's impossible to demonstrate one truck is consistently more capable than the rest, without people on the internet calling you a fanboy.
I guess that was poor wording on my part. I certainly didn't mean it negatively.

The point was he pretty consistently favors the TRX4 Sport over most others. I guess I haven't been active long enough in this hobby to know if it's justified or not, it was just surprising to me to see him choose it over most other options, but I suppose you are right, it is probably less bias towards the Sport and more because it's justified.
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:21 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

So I pulled the trigger on the 10.3... it’s the rig I keep coming back to every time I compare it to other models. My oldest step son still has his TRX-4 Bronco and I’ll most likely get a sport rtr for my youngest step son. It will be fun to do the comparisons over time. Like so many other hobbies, I think most of the “high end” products all work pretty well but a lot of it comes down to personal preference.

I fly a lot of FPV drones. All my drones are considered top of the line but at the end of the day, I fly the rigs I do because “I” like them, the suit ME and my flying style. I’m sure crawlers are the same gig. I’m sure if 10 trx-4 sport kits were build by 10 different drivers, you’d see 10 different ways to accomplish the same things.

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:23 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I guess that was poor wording on my part. I certainly didn't mean it negatively.

The point was he pretty consistently favors the TRX4 Sport over most others. I guess I haven't been active long enough in this hobby to know if it's justified or not, it was just surprising to me to see him choose it over most other options, but I suppose you are right, it is probably less bias towards the Sport and more because it's justified.

What I've learned from watching crawler reviews, is that for vehicles with similar axle and suspension setups to each other, success is mostly determined by traction, and centre of gravity.

I'd argue that the TRX4 and SCX10iii have similar portal axle setups and can both be equipped with the same tires. So, if they have similar setups with regards to weight (bodies, interiors, inner fenders, etc.) they are going to perform pretty similarly.

So, you can choose what features you like (unlocking diffs vs dig vs neither, wide or close ratio 2-speed or single speed) and customize the truck to your liking.

Last edited by rkj__; 04-14-2020 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
What I've learned from watching crawler reviews, is that for vehicles with similar axle and suspension setups to each other, success is mostly determined by traction, and centre of gravity.

I'd argue that the TRX4 and SCX10iii have similar portal axle setups and can both be equipped with the same tires. So, if they have similar setups with regards to weight (bodies, interiors, inner fenders, etc.) they are going to perform pretty similarly.

So, you can choose what features you like (unlocking diffs vs dig vs neither, wide or close ratio 2-speed or single speed) and customize the truck to your liking.
I agree with this statement.

I see the statement that unlocking diffs allows you to complete a sharper turn. Yes this is true..... on flat surfaces.

Example: If you are crawling with the TRX-4 and you need a tighter turning radius you can unlock the diffs. This gives you marginally tighter turning radius and that is IF, let me repeat, IF you can get traction with the diffs unlocked. Now same situation and having the dig option. You will make a MUCH MUCH MUCH tighter turn and have all the traction if on the rocks facing uphill.

I enjoy both trucks, I enjoy both features and I will use them both differently and enjoy both!

I do enjoy driving both but lean towards the SCX for two personal reasons. One I love Jeeps, two I like the Jeep body for better approach and departure angles. I enjoy driving the TRX with the unlocking diffs as I enjoy unlocking them, seeing how far I can get until it won't go, then lock the front and if needed the rear.

So bottom line they are BOTH great trucks to own and each has subtle differences that will make one perform better over the other in certain situations. You really cannot go wrong with either IMHO!
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:25 AM   #48

Quote:
RC Review on YouTube has been running comparisons for the last week or so, he posted one a few days ago comparing the TRX4 Sport and SCX10.3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udUfDHc8u3w

I think it's apparent that he's a TRX-4 fanboy because this isn't a fair comparison.

It should be noted that the SCX10 III with a fully detailed body isn't a fair comparison next to a minimalist body like the TRX-4 Sport. He should have compared the SCX10 III Jeep JL to a TRX-4 Blazer or Bronco.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:58 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I think it's apparent that he's a TRX-4 fanboy because this isn't a fair comparison.

It should be noted that the SCX10 III with a fully detailed body isn't a fair comparison next to a minimalist body like the TRX-4 Sport. He should have compared the SCX10 III Jeep JL to a TRX-4 Blazer or Bronco.

We're having the same conversations in different threads, but for completeness, the SCX10 III Jeep JL was compared to a TRX-4 Defender, which is also a heavy body with a cage.

https://youtu.be/W1yb8VeG_-Q
Old 04-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #50

Quote:
We're having the same conversations in different threads, but for completeness, the SCX10 III Jeep JL was compared to a TRX-4 Defender, which is also a heavy body with a cage.

https://youtu.be/W1yb8VeG_-Q
That's closer to being fair. In that case the Jeep may have the advantage because the Defender body is massive. But I don't have a Defender so I can't say for sure the Jeep has the advantage.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #51
Rock Stacker

Quote:

What I want to see, is Blazer/Bronco vs Scx10 III and use the same body or one very similar (or no body) the same tires and pull the bumpers. Let them run and see how they compare.....I'm guessing pretty darn close, and it would be hard to see a real difference.
ScottyPotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:09 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That's closer to being fair. In that case the Jeep may have the advantage because the Defender body is massive. But I don't have a Defender so I can't say for sure the Jeep has the advantage.
In this video the SCX10 III performed slightly better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyPotty View Post
What I want to see, is Blazer/Bronco vs Scx10 III and use the same body or one very similar (or no body) the same tires and pull the bumpers. Let them run and see how they compare.....I'm guessing pretty darn close, and it would be hard to see a real difference.
Both rigs are very very close IMO. I find the dig more useful than unlocking diffs but I also like to play with the diffs.

I have the Bronco TRX - 4 and the SCX10 III. They are both very close and like other crawlers each has places where one may do better than the other. The Bronco body is a beautiful scale body with those beautiful scale bumpers..... That is the biggest difference between these two rigs with their scale bodies. The Jeep just has better approach and departure angles and does not get hung up on nearly as much.

I had the Bronco out in the woods. Lots of pine needles, tall dead weed grass laying on the ground, and many twigs / branches of varying size. The Bronco was pissing me off that day as it seemed to grab every damned thing on the ground and hang up on it. A small twig would catch something under the chassis and it would just stop and hang up. Taking the SCX10 III running around the same woods never hung up on these things.

Now I don't know if it was just that day and another day it would be different or not. I'll be doing more runs now that snow is gone and see if this is a real difference or not. I have only had the TRX since Dec 19 so neither truck has really had a lot of comparison runs. So far I can state that both are awesome and as Jato said they will be top of the heap for many years to come.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:36 PM   #53

I think its worth to have both
davecchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #54
Pebble Pounder

I guess you could say I plan to somewhat mix the two trucks together. I have a TRX4 kit that’s going to be getting the Gladiator body from the SCXiii. In the process I have to add 41mm to the wheelbase in the rear so I may use the axial links and modify them to work or make my own.

Basically wanted to have the look of the scxiii with the remote diffs and design of the trx4.

Coming from having a first gen SCX that I converted to a 6x6 - it was decent but I wanted to switch things up a bit.

Body is going to be in shortly and I’ll be posting how it works getting to fit the TRX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drewmtb29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Traxxas TRX-4 vs. SCX10 III - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 2 or Traxxas Trx-4? jksquires43 General Scale Talk 12 08-27-2017 08:59 PM
Axial SCX10-II vs RR10 Bomber vs Traxxas TRX-4 vs Vaterra Ascender MasteroFlego Newbie General 39 08-05-2017 08:08 AM