Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: First Crawler Build Jeep TRX-4 (Pic Heavy)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2024, 01:17 PM   #1

Default First Crawler Build Jeep TRX-4 (Pic Heavy)

So I've been wanting a crawler for awhile now and I finally made the jump over Christmas. After a ton of research I decided on a TRX-4 after all my first RC was a Traxxas Hawk back in the early 90's. I wanted a jeep body so I decided on the sport kit (with a 12.8 conversion) with a Proline Rubicon body. I was excited about putting the kit together after all I'm a aircraft mechanic and have put other RC's together but I was a little nervous over painting and making a decent looking realistic body. Electronics I went with a HH SHV650 servo for steering, a Flysky NB4 for radio and Flysky FGr8B for the receiver for possible expansion. Motor I was set on a HH Crawlmaster sport with a HW1080 but at the last minute decided to go with the Fusion SE 1800kv and I couldn't be happier. I did change the pinion and spur over to an 11t and 45t to maximize the low speed control (which made a big difference). I went a little over board and bought a set of PL KM3's, a set of PL Krawlers, a set of Pitbull Rock Beast XL's, in addition to the stock tires because why not. I went with Injora beadlocks they looked good and the price was right. Added the narrow fenders to the truck in hopes that it would protect the inside from getting so dirty along with some bits from Ali-Express for the body. Overall I'm very satisfied with the result and I took some pics on its madden voyage outside in the front yard before it gets beat up.

Gtoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2024, 02:07 PM   #2

Default Re: First Crawler Build Jeep TRX-4 (Pic Heavy)

Welcome to RCC and this awesome hobby? The TRX-4 was a great choice for your first truck. It’s definitely the best build in terms of quality. The TRX-4 is one of my favorites. The body looks great! Nice work on the paint!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 06:50 PM   #3
Go Buckeyes!

I don't think you have to worry about your painting skills. The body turned out fantastic! Love the color and design you picked out! The TRX-4 is a great choice and it will be very reliable.

Welcome to RCC. You have found a great place to find a wealth of info and knowledge. There are many talented builders here on RCC and many are willing to answer any questions that you may have.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 08:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcoming guys! Been a lurker for almost 2 years trying to learn what I can. The clincher to get a crawler for me was this past year when the city decided to line the ditch beside my work place with rocks and cover them with concrete which makes for a perfect crawling course. It’s probably a couple of hundred yards long so I’ll never run out of new lines to try plus it’s lit up pretty good even at night. Thanks for the compliments on the paint. It actually turned out better than I thought it would. I now know that I need to work on my masking and cutting skills for more symmetrical lines but I’m happy with how it turned out. The problem now is I cringe when the truck rolls LOL. I’m now looking at getting a phone mount for my NB4 so I can make some videos. Here some pics of my new course courtesy of the city.

Gtoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 04:00 AM   #5
Go Buckeyes!

Nice play area you have there. Oh and yeah, the first scratch always hurts the most!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 05:51 AM   #6

They were talking about building one of these drainage ditches behind my house and I was hopeful it would be good for crawling. Being the government, that idea must have changed because, guess what, they never started digging.

Your paint is excellent. I've been painting models and RCs for over 20 years and I'm terrible at it. Simple paint jobs definitely hurt less when you scratch the body.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:19 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Welcome and that is a really nice jeep - Trx-4 ... the paint looks great and the overall built looks solid with the font bumper and color choice... neat addition of the Inner fenders they tied it all up. Oh and the crawl area looks really awesome ... should be a good test for the build and to keep improving it as you go. Guilty as charge I searched on google maps for ditches and underpasses for arears like this around my workplace to go crawl on when time allows.

Nice to have around for entertainment .... My first crawler was a sport TRX as well and its been beating and abused by me and my two boys and still going strong. It is definitely a tank I am sure it will be fun for you as well ... looking forward to the updates and videos.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 07:37 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Welcome to the RC crawling addiction!!! There’s allot of great people and amazing knowledge spread across this site. Great looking rig brother!!! The TRX is an amazing platform. There’s so much aftermarket support for them and they are probably the most durable rigs out there. I love my TRX-4!

A couple things to save you some research and give you a little more edge on the game. Going to a low battery tray or front tray will help your cog big time. Tune your shocks for best cog. Most of us run 80%-100% droop (little to no preload on the springs) lighter oil = faster response. Heavier oil = slow response. I like a real slow responding shock on my crawlers and run 50-70wt oil. Good foams (dual stage or anti foams) are an absolute game changer. Last thing is steering. You have that amazing HH powerhouse turning your tires. Look into metal mounts for the panhard bar. Those mounts become play dough with a strong servo.

That crawl spot you have there looks like it would be a lot of fun!!! Hope some of that helps you out! Those are just a few of the things I’ve figured out on my RC journey. Hit me up if you need any help! Have a good one!!!
AnimalHippie is online now   Reply With Quote

First Crawler Build Jeep TRX-4 (Pic Heavy) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
** Crawler Innovations ** 8 x 8 Crawler Hauler * continuing build thread; pic heavy Nova's Ark Multi Axle Rigs 50 11-30-2019 10:02 AM
GCM Skeleton build:(another) 2 Door Jeep w/scale features (Pic Heavy) Dustinf 1.9 Scale Rigs 40 09-10-2017 11:05 PM
1:20 Jeep WJ leafer build (PIC HEAVY) fatsachs Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 02-08-2015 10:56 PM
The Family Jeep build (Pic Heavy) Axial95 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 2 11-27-2013 07:13 PM
Another AX10 build - but it's not a crawler... ;) (warn-pic heavy) beomagi Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 06-18-2008 10:34 AM