Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: What to do. Won't stop breaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 06:01 AM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: What to do. Won't stop breaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC6R View Post
That it was, left front both times.

There are some things that should be done immediately IMO if you want to stay on the trail longer. Installing the HD gears and MIPs will eliminate the most common failures people are having. I also like aluminum hubs and knuckles but I'm sure some could get away with the plastic ones for awhile.
left side for me every time too. I've got the hd shafts and gears ( if i find they break I'll get mips) the HR front knuckles and hubs abd vaterra rear hubs. Never had any issues with my plastic ones but just in case. Everything on the truck seems solid now except the front axles
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #42
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Or jumping it off a 20 foot drop? Bashing as they say.

Wonder how many people don't have this problem?

I'd love to have one of these, but I have no need. But I'm curious if they're as fragile as the handful of posts here make them out to be or if it's just people driving them in ways not meant to be.
I bought mine when they first came out and have yet to break anything. Its still running bone stock and it keeps up with hopped up scx10s.

Lol...bashing...
big knobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Broke both front axles during a comp today.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:21 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC6R View Post
Broke both front axles during a comp today.

Hey Horizon... Here is Vanquish Products contact info-

Contact Us

Might be a good idea to ask them how they make their axles.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:03 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Its usually the left because of the CMS due to it being able to turn farther one way which causes binding if the end points are not adjusted correctly.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #46
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Hey Horizon... Here is Vanquish Products contact info-

Contact Us

Might be a good idea to ask them how they make their axles.
Riiiiiight, because no one has ever broken a VP axle...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:30 AM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Riiiiiight, because no one has ever broken a VP axle...
Of course they're just a bit harder to break
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Brings back memories of Losi CC broken axles...
I was thinking the exact same thing. Same goes with a few other issues they are having with the platform.
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:30 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
That could be said about most things. The difference is what you want and what they had in mind when they were designed.

I beat the bejeezus out of my mini Wraith. It is built to take it. I do not drive my Ascender in the same fashion. Apart from my race rigs, its the only thing I've put a 2s in in 7 years, and I am totally fine with that. I know its not bulletproof. I know it wont hold up to brainless bashing and stupid amounts of power, but that is why I like it. I actually have to think about what I'm doing, and that makes me a better driver.

If the popularity of the Ascender can be maintained, and we can relay proper feedback to Rich and Vaterra, there is no reason to think that some day it wont be bulletproof. Out of the box it is still a better rig than the aged scx10.

Hey man, I like your response here. I doubt I'll ever own an ascender, but that will be awesome if the manufacturer takes the feedback and makes the needed changes.

On another note, I'm pretty surprised that this seems to be the first comparable rig to the scx10. You'd think more companies would step up etc. Then again, I've been out of the game for a while so maybe there are rigs.

As for me, $80 more and I get a 2 speed trail finder 2 with all metal components (exexcept the cheap stock drive shafts which were replaced). And it's far more scale. Guess different interests etc.
4X42HEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #50
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X42HEL View Post
Hey man, I like your response here. I doubt I'll ever own an ascender, but that will be awesome if the manufacturer takes the feedback and makes the needed changes.

On another note, I'm pretty surprised that this seems to be the first comparable rig to the scx10. You'd think more companies would step up etc. Then again, I've been out of the game for a while so maybe there are rigs.

As for me, $80 more and I get a 2 speed trail finder 2 with all metal components (exexcept the cheap stock drive shafts which were replaced). And it's far more scale. Guess different interests etc.
Responding to feedback will make or break this rig. So far, so good.

There are "competitors", but they're all cheap/crappy knockoffs. The Ascender is the first to really give the scx10 a run for its money.

TF2's are cool, but tiny compared to these things. One guy in our club bought one, and sold it after his 2nd outing with it. Everyone else in the group runs Honchos and Wraiths and he just couldn't quite keep up on the terrain we have.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

I actually wanted a d110 instead of the ascender I bought after I sold my axial stuff, but chose against it because you can't seem to buy parts for them either, and even though the axle housings are metal, they have plenty of gear problems too.

I'll stick with the ascender
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #52
Rock Stacker

I'm considering buying an Ascender right now. I have a TF2 and an Axial Rubicon. The scx10 is my favorite and I don't run the TF2 much. I don't know if I don't like it's size or the hard body. But I do have a place for another rig. I'm glad I found this thread with lots of info on the Ascender.
kcbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #53

Well. Broke another one. I'm about done with this thing. Might just sit it on the shelf and wait for something better
slohatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

Can you take a picture of the area you are running it when you break the axles? And what you are doing when it breaks?

I've climbed some gnarly stuff, almost 150 degree rocky hills, dragging the rear bumper, and haven't broke anything.
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #55
Pebble Pounder

i have my og kit with non hd gears and shafts, 45 turn, 1.9 rock beasts, and always on a shorty 3s pack and no breakage.
all comes down to the trigger finger guys.
b00st3d-vr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
I've climbed some gnarly stuff, almost 150 degree rocky hills, dragging the rear bumper, and haven't broke anything.
I would like to see this 150 degree hill climb, my truck won't even do 90 degrees. I must have the wrong tires.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #57
Rock Crawler

Location: Working in my dream RC workshop and remodeling my entire home.

I think sometimes guys are expecting too much out of these rigs, especially in stock form. Stuff breaks! 5700kv on lipo in a truck meant for climbing obstacles in the woods? Can't understand why you wouldn't EXPECT breakage to occur. That motor gets too hot when ran in a Slash! I got my Ascender about two weeks (as far as I can tell) before they all started coming with the HD gears and beefier drive lines. Running on 3s, 35t RC4WD Boost motor, and MIP driveshafts. I expected the pinion to break. And it did. Big deal! Contacted Horizon and free HD pinions and ring gears were in the mail in two business days. Think about it like this, if you want the entire truck to hold up like it was made of Vanquish parts front to back, how much do you think it would cost? If nothing had to be upgraded or fixed, half the fun of the hobby would be gone for me. Yeah, it is disappointing to have a run cut short, so bring spares and tools along. This always happens on a new platform. Hell, it took me five years of upgrading to get my Slash to stay in one piece during a bash session! The same can almost be said for my Wraith. If you run 'em hard, they're gonna break!

FLM BL E-Maxx - BL Slash - BL 4Tec - 1/16th Fiesta - Wraith - SCX-10 - Custom Axial 6WD - Custom Losi micro Monster Truck - Losi Micro-T Hummer - Custom Losi Micro Peterbilt Crawler - '65 Malibu Micro T Drifter
MAXXMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #58
Suck it up!

This mentality that everything you spend money on should be perfect and do everything you think it should is stupid. Every rig you buy is going to break. If you aren't ok with that, then find another hobby.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:49 AM   #59
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Every rig you buy is going to break.
Not the Clodbuster!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #60
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I would like to see this 150 degree hill climb, my truck won't even do 90 degrees. I must have the wrong tires.
If "0" is straight down and 180 is straight up, that makes it a 150 right.

OK, so about 70 degrees or so then.
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote

What to do. Won't stop breaking - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breaking axles! Hacksaw707 Formula Offroad 9 05-05-2012 10:19 AM
anyone breaking universals twisted bender Axial XR10 37 01-11-2011 08:15 AM
Breaking Down house_Fly Chit Chat 5 12-12-2009 08:53 AM
Breaking News! jason Chit Chat 17 09-17-2009 07:49 PM