Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: My baby blazer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #221
RCC Addict

Default Re: My baby blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
Hey Ben, I think you’ve told be but do you vent your tires/wheels?

Oh, and I think your right about the TSL’s belong on the Ferd, they came off the the ole Honch..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I vent all of my tires. Take a #8 finish nail, get it cherry red with torch, and poke one hole in the center of tread between lugs on all four tires. Don't do enough water boggin to matter or care about water. I do make the holes in the same spot so all four can be on the bottom if I do feel the need to let them drain but that was like once in all the times I've been out crawling.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #222
Rock Crawler

I used the stock ESC from the K10 Ascender for my winch controller. It is not the smallest ESC out there, and that Wasp seems pretty neat! Certainly does the job, tho. I converted the stock TRX4 servo the 2075x I think it is, to be a winch and I am really surprised. The ESC and "weaker" servo lift the truck and then some.
Ben you know me and HobbyKing, they have tons of combos of ESC and servos. Even Ebay, has cheap 320amp ESC's for like $10 that are pretty small.
Lots of ways to get to the same destination. HeyOK is a nice clean solution. I like it better than an ESC because you don't have to power 2 seperate ESC's from your battery. I use a parallel connector, so it's a bit bulky. But free parts are free parts.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #223
RCC Addict

Yup, I like the esc route, using a castle sidewinder on my 1.55 truck because I had it laying around. Lol. Bit of overkill. For this truck I wanted it to fit in the receiver box so smallest of small was a must. I just didn't find anything that small, would take 3s and wasn't about the same price as the basically plug and play heyok controller. I'm cheap and lazy so that fit my criteria the best lol. I'd put the sidewinder in this truck and this esc in for my winch in the other truck but I'd have to solder leads and such. See, lazy. Plus this truck just works and I hate changing things that just flat out work. I could put a wasp in my blue Jimmy and free myself up another esc. But then I'd have to build a truck around that esc and I just can't......I can't lol

Ben
Old 01-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #224
RCC Addict

Here's a picture of the truck with the new Ironsides. The front tires have stock foams not modded. The rears are the ones I cut up to soften a bit. They're still stiff but much easier to mount for sure. Kinda backwards having softer in the rear for climbing which I do a lot of. But I figured they're still plenty stiff but hopefully will let the tire squat just a bit for a good bite. I want the front firm because there are a few lines where sidehill is intense and turning is needed so I don't want unstable front tire fold. Need to try them out but gotta wait for weather and life to give me a break.

Wish I had another body so I could have Untrimmed wheel wells with the smaller tires but what they are asking new is just too rich for my blood.
Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #225
I wanna be Dave

Interesting that you say that, I am also moving to smaller tires (on a K10) - but I had trimmed my original body to clear the TSL Super Swampers - so they'll look a little lost in there!

K10 cabs are pretty cheap, though - So I have one coming. Count yourself lucky - Yours actually looks just fine as is on the Bravens... And, if you had to you could drop your body F&R. The K10 can't be dropped in the back without cutting the cage.

Lovin' those Rally wheels, my man!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #226
RCC Addict

Thank you. I love the rally's too. Luckily I only slightly trimmed the lower edges of the fenders as I hate, I mean hate hacked wheel openings but hate tire rub too.

I was looking and found that vaterra has recently seriously jacked the prices on several of their ascender parts. $95 for the blazer body!?? WTF!!?? Even when they were $70ish I'd never pay that for a lexan body. I'll buy another kit before I buy a body for that much. I'd get the Rc4wd hardbody for another $40.

Also noticed the vaterra aluminum c's and knuckles are $60 now. We're $30. Same for the brass rotors. Wonder if that means things are looking bad for vaterra or just getting ready for a new release and discouraging upgrades for the old model.

Ben
Old 01-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #227
I wanna be Dave

I'm seeing the pre-painted Blazer for $95 - but the clear is still $70 at Horizon direct, RPP and other places. Still a lot of greenbacks! I'd like to try the Powerwagon cab section from the new Proline release, but I know I'll need to hack it up to fit - and at $53 that's more than I can swing purely for an experiment at the moment...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #228
I wanna be Dave

Ironsides look great on your truck, you're pushing me towards a tire/wheel purchase! I finally cracked my original Blazer body at the corner under the headlight buckets, gotta tape/E6000 it up to make it last awhile longer, but I've got new spare body that I've been holding onto for a long time.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

My baby blazer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using a Blazer CGR interior inside a 'full top' PLR Blazer body-Has anyone done this? BeeRC Paint and Body 4 10-31-2009 03:37 PM
Nascarkeith's Proline Blazer CGR Bodied Blazer Wheely King nascarkeith HPI Wheely King 6 10-30-2009 02:49 AM