Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Ascender/Tribute

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Ascender/Tribute

I really want to like this body, but I can't. A buddy just bought one. I'll get a closer look when he gets it painted up. I for one will probably never buy another Pro-line body. Every one I've bought in the last 2 years has been pure crap. This last one pushed me over the edge. Spend a days worth of work on a paint job just to find out the body is covered with blems when you peel off the covering is BS! Yes, I'm still pissed lol. Actually went to the hobby shop an hour away in hopes of finding another body and they actually had one. I looked it up and down very closely, and it was just as bad as the one I've got. I think it's a conspiracy against Bronco lovers. All the Bronco bodies on the market are jacked up in one way or another
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Gotta be metal (preferable steel) and beadlocks for me.

Ya, the whole look is just wrong, grill and headlights not even close to scale or properly good looking, again I'll pass. Proline has made some really nice bodies, not sure what happened here.
I hope Vaterra or Tamiya step up... Be awesome to have a Full Size Bronco body.. Pro Line butchered the 73 Bronco body too. but, this one is worse.
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

GCM finally got the 12 hole wheels back in stock. And my mirrors got here today from the UK and bumpers are done except for the mounts Maybe I'll find a couple minutes to do a little work on the Bronco and take a picture before the weekend is done, but I'm not holding my breath. Name:  imageMain_41_334.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  54.5 KB
Old 07-15-2016, 09:25 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Nice GCM wheels, which RC4WD tires are those? Loce the yellow paint!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:55 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Nice GCM wheels, which RC4WD tires are those? Loce the yellow paint!
This is a picture I stole from GCM. The wheels just came back into stock yesterday, so it'll be a few days before mine get here. Those are RC4WD Mudslinger XL tires. I'm considering Pro-Line Super Swampers even though they look nothing like the tires on the 1:1 Bronco I'm copying.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Bumpers are DONE! I just put the last coat of paint on them and waiting for it to dry so I can bolt them back on. Thank God for thick fast drying primer It sure helped cover up my lack of fabrication skills.
They didn't turn out exactly like the ones on the 1:1 Bronco, but considering my tooling situation they'll do for now. Pair of pliers, Dremel and a junk ass 110 flux core welder And yes I know a couple of the upright tubes are in the wrong location. I didn't catch it till it was to late, and I'm to lazy to start over
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Hey Jon, that ascender is really coming along nicely. You did a great job duplicating the bumpers. Looks to me like it is time to give the axles a little love. I finished up three fronts and rears today incase your ready to match up a rear to that front you have.
Ernie,
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey Jon, that ascender is really coming along nicely. You did a great job duplicating the bumpers. Looks to me like it is time to give the axles a little love. I finished up three fronts and rears today incase your ready to match up a rear to that front you have.
Ernie,
There you go spending more of my money I'll get with you on a rear when I get closer to finishing. I still haven't put the front on yet
And thank you, Eenie for the complements. I see a tubing bender in my near future after doing all this by hand. Hopefully that will make things go a little smoother.

Last edited by Jeepiac; 07-17-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:12 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Paint finally dried enough to lightly handle long enough to get them bolted on While waiting on the paint I started on the luggage rack and made/mounted the antenna. It's not a correct Bronco antenna, it's a correct Russ's Bronco antenna
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
Paint finally dried enough to lightly handle long enough to get them bolted on While waiting on the paint I started on the luggage rack and made/mounted the antenna. It's not a correct Bronco antenna, it's a correct Russ's Bronco antenna
I know this is after the fact for you, but when I do a cage, or bumpers I use high temp paint (header paint) and bake it in my BBQ grill at 300 degrees for 20 minutes and do two coats, and a clear coat,nice hard finish!!
And I'm good at spending other peoples money!
Ernie,
Old 07-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I know this is after the fact for you, but when I do a cage, or bumpers I use high temp paint (header paint) and bake it in my BBQ grill at 300 degrees for 20 minutes and do two coats, and a clear coat,nice hard finish!!
And I'm good at spending other peoples money!
Ernie,
I hung these from the grill to dry. Does that count? I'll give that a try on the luggage rack
Old 07-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

Tomahawk Tires? Love it!!!! Great job on the rig.!!!!
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMFtwstdHICK View Post
Tomahawk Tires? Love it!!!! Great job on the rig.!!!!
Thank you! Tomahawks are just for mockup till I figure out what tires I really want. I love the looks and the size of the Tomahawks, but they are completely worthless on the slick rocks we have locally. Tires are looking to be the most difficult part of this build.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Been doing more playing than building lately. I did finally get my GCM wheels and against better judgment, I mounted up the Tomahawks, mainly because I can't find a tire of the right height that I actually like
I was shooting the bull with a customer the other day and he pulled out a pile of lead sheeting that he'd picked up from a job and asked if I knew of anyone that'd have a use for it. I think I jerked his shoulder out of joint when I snatched it from his hand This stuff is great for weighting wheels I'm thinking about rolling some up and attempting to put it in some axle housings too.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2016, 12:23 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Nice score, but be careful, I've found wheels like the beadlocks you got are already perfect weight.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:30 AM   #56
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Nice score, but be careful, I've found wheels like the beadlocks you got are already perfect weight.
I don't know if there's actually a weight that's perfect for all crawlers. I normally weight the wheels to counteract a high center of gravity. No two sets are weighted the same. These wheels are surprisingly light. They are very thin and almost scary to run. I'm sure I'll end up bending one.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I don't know if there's actually a weight that's perfect for all crawlers. I normally weight the wheels to counteract a high center of gravity. No two sets are weighted the same. These wheels are surprisingly light. They are very thin and almost scary to run. I'm sure I'll end up bending one.
Now Jon, That is what your Codyboy Design axles are for!!!
I will post up in my thread what I'm building new for Pete959?
Ernie,
Old 08-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

I like my women light and my wheels heavy.
Can't wait to see what you're cooking up now, Ernie I'm sure it's cool!
Old 08-01-2016, 07:20 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I like my women light and my wheels heavy.
Can't wait to see what you're cooking up now, Ernie I'm sure it's cool!
Pete and I think it's cool! BTW, timing isn't going to right for us to make it to
crawlapalooza. We just have to much we want to do on our trip. We are going to still stop in Oklahoma but will be a week or two later.
Ernie,
Old 08-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Pete and I think it's cool! BTW, timing isn't going to right for us to make it to
crawlapalooza. We just have to much we want to do on our trip. We are going to still stop in Oklahoma but will be a week or two later.
Ernie,
Dang I know a few of us were really looking forward to meeting you. Maybe next year.

Ascender/Tribute - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In tribute Jason817 Axial SCX-10 2 02-20-2015 01:49 AM
Tribute body! caci623 Paint and Body 13 09-24-2011 07:16 PM
Tribute Truggy derwood21 1.9 Scale Rigs 18 01-07-2010 01:19 PM
Hotness tribute vid hitman46mod Videos! 2 04-12-2008 01:26 PM