Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Ascender/Tribute

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Ascender/Tribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
The Bronco is going in the Show-&-Shine, right!!! It really looks nice Jon! And I did notice you said "axles" as in plura, but I didn't see anything about Codyboy Steering...
Ernie
Yes, it's going in the show and shine against custom tubers, which always win, but I didn't build it to win a trophy anyway. It's all just to see the look on Russ Hogan's face when I drive it around and park it in front of him.
Can't just have one of these axles, and I very well might go with Codyboy steering. Awe hell, you know I'll end up with Codyboy steering
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #82
Rock Crawler

Did some very gentile crawling with Hogan's Bronco this morning. I've got to say, this thing crawls impressively good for a 99% stock rig. Nothing but the link risers and bottom of rear shocks moved outboard results in such a minute amount of torque twist it's barely noticeable at a full throttle take off from a standstill, and even then it's almost nothing. I'm already making plans for a second Ascender And yes, Ernie, I haven't put the Codyboy axle in yet, but I will.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2016, 05:22 AM   #83
Pebble Pounder

You did onehellofajob !!!
northern hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Ok, I have kept quiet about Jon's build here long enough. We crawl several times a month, partly because we have the same addiction to serious crawling and having fun. Yep I'm the guy with 9 Axial cars all together. But After seeing this Bronco come together it was even a joy on my part. So Saturday was the day of truth where the tires all bright and shiny hit the rocks. We crawl at a spillway dam and it is really rugged and pretty danged hard to make a really tried and true crawler preform well. This thing was awesome. I have actually thought seriously about selling a crawler and picking up an Ascender kit to play with. Not sure if any of you guys on this forum are going to Disney Oklahoma. But Russ, the owner of the real Bronco should be really honored. I just hope he doesn't take home all the trophies. I'd like to win one too. Pretty Damned impressed. Good job my friend.
luckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckster View Post
Ok, I have kept quiet about Jon's build here long enough. We crawl several times a month, partly because we have the same addiction to serious crawling and having fun. Yep I'm the guy with 9 Axial cars all together. But After seeing this Bronco come together it was even a joy on my part. So Saturday was the day of truth where the tires all bright and shiny hit the rocks. We crawl at a spillway dam and it is really rugged and pretty danged hard to make a really tried and true crawler preform well. This thing was awesome. I have actually thought seriously about selling a crawler and picking up an Ascender kit to play with. Not sure if any of you guys on this forum are going to Disney Oklahoma. But Russ, the owner of the real Bronco should be really honored. I just hope he doesn't take home all the trophies. I'd like to win one too. Pretty Damned impressed. Good job my friend.
Thank you sir! I've had a pretty dang good mentor through my still somewhat new addiction, even though he's an Axial addict I really do believe the Ascender could eventually overthrow the ol' blue Bronco as my favorite once I do all the mods I have planned. As for winning trophies at Disney, I'll just about bet ya we both bring home some bragging rights
Old 10-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #86
Rock Crawler

Did I say in an earlier post that I was finished? I don't think a crawler is ever finished.
Looking through the pictures I've taken, something has been bugging me. The interior just doesn't look finished and the lack of a headliner is the biggest detail that's noticed. I went to the KCRC pre-Crawl-a-palooza practice yesterday and took Russ's Bronco along for show-and-tell. Jerry of the DMG, who enjoys messing with me gave some good compliments and praise about what I've done here, then he looked at the inside of the roof. You could see the disgust in his eyes while he was nagging me about not having a headliner, so I got up at 5am this morning and made one I've also cut out the driver side window. The big lexan booger that Pro-line so lovingly molded into the window finally got far enough under my skin that something had to be done. I made a simple styrene fame, covered it with a piece of felt and used a magnet to hold it in. This way I can easily remove it to access the clips that hold the luggage rack in place. Also finished up the wireless lights.
Ernie, I started to put your axle in, but some dumbass went crazy with the Loc-tight and I couldn't get the pinion off the shaft And being 3 working days before the trek to Oklahoma, and no spare parts, I chickened out and put the old axle back in. Well, at least I don't have to worry about the pinion screw falling out
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

I just couldn't stop myself today Made the last post then went back and added a set of visors and a mirror.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #88
Rock Crawler

Just got back from Crawl-a-palooza in Disney Oklahoma and as always an amazing event!
Just a few more pictures to finish off the build thread, and then off to the three new projects I have waiting on me. One of which is an Ascender that fallowed me all the way home from Disney

Russ Hogan and his 1973 Bronco that he's owned since 1976.....
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

You should send in pictures of your build to jconcepts or whoever made the lexan. Maby they will use them for advertising purposes and send you a few products etc.

149 r/c worx team driver
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:08 PM   #90
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
You should send in pictures of your build to jconcepts or whoever made the lexan. Maby they will use them for advertising purposes and send you a few products etc.

149 r/c worx team driver
I've actually be asked about a photo shoot already. Not sure if it'll go through or not. If so I sure hope it's soon because I'm dying to run this thing.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Very nice Jon, it was a good thing that you did copying his 1:1. You can see the joy in his face!!!
You need to PM me your address so I have it to program into our GPS.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:32 AM   #92
Rock Crawler

The interior is amazing now love the yellow shades!

Is that electrical tape ? Looks perfect on the pillars
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #93
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
The interior is amazing now love the yellow shades!

Is that electrical tape ? Looks perfect on the pillars
You caught me, it's electrical tape. I originally hadn't planned on interior or I would have probably done things a little differently.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:24 AM   #94
Rock Crawler

Crawlin with the shelf queen.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2016, 07:19 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Yup that's what you were missing! Scratches!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #96
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWombat View Post
that is amazing!!
Thank you!
Old 11-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #97
Rock Crawler