Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Vaterra Ascender - attempting shock service

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Vaterra Ascender - attempting shock service

Cool. Yeah, I have a lot of links and spacers and grubs, for any WB. So probly some extras in the spares box.
Be sure to outboard your rear shocks and do the spacer mod for the dual-rates, AKA 'Trujillo mod' - helps with TT.

I've never been unhappy with Vaterra shocks. They work just fine on all my rigs. For as many complaints on Axials, I haven't had trouble with them either. Even the 'high end' Kings on the Bomber with the alloy bits work pretty well, but seep just a tiny bit too. Oh well.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2019, 05:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Cool. Yeah, I have a lot of links and spacers and grubs, for any WB. So probly some extras in the spares box.
Be sure to outboard your rear shocks and do the spacer mod for the dual-rates, AKA 'Trujillo mod' - helps with TT.

I've never been unhappy with Vaterra shocks. They work just fine on all my rigs. For as many complaints on Axials, I haven't had trouble with them either. Even the 'high end' Kings on the Bomber with the alloy bits work pretty well, but seep just a tiny bit too. Oh well.

This forum / the Vaterra Ascender subthread has builtup my noob knowledge of scale tricks for the platform far faster than if it wasn't available. It probably doesn't hurt that I build & crawl full scale rock crawler Jeeps . These 1:10 straight axle rigs are basically the exact same thing as the 1:1 equivalent would be , at least as far as setting up the suspensions. (That's why I bought the Vaterra as my first scale rig ; it handled the most like my real Jeep JK trailer queen.) Well, except for the lack of rear swaybar. I'm about to build the swaybar like @Natedog & others have.

On your points , the first week I had this WB K10 Ascender I out-boarded the shocks & filed down the spring spacers. I'm pretty sure the first thing I googled after running it once was 'Vaterra Ascender torque twist fix ' lol.

(update edit: I am very pleased with the plastic bodied shocks the Vaterra came with ,like you. I do kinda wish they were 5-10mm longer, but , for crawling slow rocks , your shocks just dampen everything - you aren't bombing thru whoopdees at 95mph , so the stock dampeners work great. I upgrade both upper & lower springs to help with dual rate behavior of travel & have the compression/stroke /extension dialed in.
Last night I got the oil changed from whatever weight it shipped with ( it was black it was so dirty!) to some 15w I picked up from pitbullrc. Wow they are far better shocks ,now! It made a big difference...)

'preciate the advice !

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 04-12-2019 at 05:26 AM.
j3ff3ry_j33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post

If you have the spacers and grub screws to stretch the wheelbase out, and some extra spacers to outboard the shocks that you are willing to part with, I'd be interested.

I will second what j3ff3ry_j33p said as well, there is a huge amount of great info here and a lot of really helpful members too. Glad I found this place!
cowboyona426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyona426 View Post
If you have the spacers and grub screws to stretch the wheelbase out, and some extra spacers to outboard the shocks that you are willing to part with, I'd be interested.

I will second what j3ff3ry_j33p said as well, there is a huge amount of great info here and a lot of really helpful members too. Glad I found this place!
Thanks. I benefited from a shit-ton of help here in the beginning as well. Soon you'll be a pro.

I don't wish to give up my spare parts, but AMain has the spacer kit for $11:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/vaterra...0aAk3XEALw_wcB

Here's the longer grub screws for $5:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/vaterra...235330/p375650

That's really all you need.

To ouboard shocks you need a 3x38mm hex-cap screw and another ball pivot to use as a spacer. Spares for $7:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/vaterra...246008/p251627

The various length links are also still available. The lengths you need verses what you have are in the wheelbase thread here:
Ascender Wheel Base & Link Reference Guide
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:43 AM   #25

I admit that all the above hassle was worth the outcome; swapping to 15w shockoil made a big difference in dampening the various crawls. I think just having clean oil in them was a big help . The factory stuff suprised me at how filthy it was.

Thanks again for help and suggestions all.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyona426 View Post

If it helps , I used a dozen teeny washers that were appropriate size for the size bolts the Vaterras use for that shock/ controlarm mount. I out-boarded them before having pivot balls so just chose the right quantity of washers to equal space needing to be filled.
I'll add photo a bit later if that doesn't make sense.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
If it helps , I used a dozen teeny washers that were appropriate size for the size bolts the Vaterras use for that shock/ controlarm mount. I out-boarded them before having pivot balls so just chose the right quantity of washers to equal space needing to be filled.
I'll add photo a bit later if that doesn't make sense.
Makes sense to me, thanks for sharing.
cowboyona426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

It's kind of ironic, that the very screw that started this thread, by being hard to remove, had loosened off all on its own on my rig! lol
I noticed it this weekend when I was going over my truck.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
It's kind of ironic, that the very screw that started this thread, by being hard to remove, had loosened off all on its own on my rig! lol
I noticed it this weekend when I was going over my truck.

I think at the factory maybe I got one of your Vaterra's rear-upper shock mounts loctite & that doubled mine, ha

Vaterra Ascender - attempting shock service - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra Ascender Aftermarket shock tower (rear) durok Vaterra Ascender 12 01-22-2018 03:32 PM
Vaterra ascender new here Pittsburghchris 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 04-30-2017 07:29 AM