Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: jebster's creeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 04:35 AM   #181
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledRig View Post
It looks like you also mounted your rear upper links lower at the chassis. Your previous pics showed them mounted in the higher position before. That move gained me 2* on the board.
suprised you notice. yes, i did lower them based on what i saw in your post. i hope it gets me that little extra i need.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2011, 04:47 AM   #182
I wanna be Dave

i just wanted to post a couple pics of my son's exceed maxstone 16. if you have ever seen a video of it in stock form you know that it has ridiculously bad torque twist. using a chassis from AB designs to get more options for link geometry we modified it to spread/raise the rear upper links at the axle and lower the front uppers at the chassis. the end result - zero torque twist! it is completely gone. i'm still running the softest spring they provided with the kit all around. it is actually a pretty fun rig now.

so, if anyone that questioned the power of correct link geometry i can say it is all true. i want to thank everyone on this forum for the advice they've provided.

the first pic is the before picture of the stock geometry. the next couple are of the modified rig.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2011, 04:26 AM   #183
I wanna be Dave

it's been a long time since i've done much with my creeper (busy with my son's maxstone 16 and my new xr10). after seeing adam's post about running the steering drag link under the axle i was motivated to update my creeper. first off i finally got rid of the front axle diff lock mechanism. i never had an issue with it but i didn't use it much either. so, out it goes and in went an flm locker. while i was working on the front end i made up a protector for the servo. removing the diff lock servo on the front axle gave me room to mount a small lipo in it's place for when i really want the front end weight bias (i'm keeping the rear axle saddle pack mount for a more even weight balance and long running times). i still need to make up a top plate to protect the battery but i ran out of time last night.

the drag link under the axle has me a little worried about a snag point but i can still get the full steering angle (45+) with this setup. i can't wait to get it on the rock and give it a try.

a few pics:
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #184
I wanna be Dave

no pics (it was getting close to dark) but i took my creeper out and got it on the rocks to try out the UTA steering mod. the rock piles i run on are pretty jagged so i thought it was a good test. i still need more time but after running for around 40 minutes i didn't notice any hangs on the drag link. seems like it was pretty clear. the servo didn't get hot at all so i don't think the angle of the steering link was causing issues.

looks like a setup that i'm likely. i'll try to get some action shots on the rocks soon.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #185
Rock Crawler

jebster do you think that the servo armor and the batt armor will hang up on approach. when you desend down to a verticle climb?I noticed when I ran my servo up front like yours I had this problem.
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 AM   #186
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo303d View Post
jebster do you think that the servo armor and the batt armor will hang up on approach. when you desend down to a verticle climb?I noticed when I ran my servo up front like yours I had this problem.
the battery is pretty far back so i don't think that is an issue. the servo could be a problem depending on the rocks. it does sit behind the front line of the tires so if the rock face is pretty flat it works fine. but if the rock juts out it could catch. only time will tell if it causes me too many problems. given i don't comp i'm more concerned with smashing up my expensive servo than getting the perfect line to drive!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:20 AM   #187
Rock Crawler

I feel ya
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #188
I wanna be Dave

i was just on towerhobbies and was scanning through for some creeper parts. looks like a lot of parts are discontinued. i haven't check other sites yet so it might be just a tower thing.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #189
RCC Addict

no a lot of the creeper parts are discontinued but the reason is that venom racing is redesigning some things on the creeper to help fix alot of the problems that people were having.
venomcrawlerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #190
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomcrawlerdud View Post
no a lot of the creeper parts are discontinued but the reason is that venom racing is redesigning some things on the creeper to help fix alot of the problems that people were having.
thats good news. it was interesting which parts were listed as discontinued: wheel hexes (which i agree need work) but so was the transmission case. i haven't heard many people having issues with that.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #191
RCC Addict

ive seen alot of people cracking and bracking off the tabes on the cover
venomcrawlerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #192
I wanna be Dave

had some time yesterday to get my creeper on my backyard rock pile and took some pics of it in action. i was keeping an eye on the uta drag link to see if it was catching. i even pushed it across some pretty jagged rocks to try and get it caught. no issues so far. i do catch the servo guard once in awhile but i can live with that.

i have to say i'm liking the way my creeper is performing. i recently got an xr10 and while i think it could be a more capable rig in the long run i'm still feeling more confident when i drive the creeper. only time will tell!
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #193
RCC Addict

i have the BTL plate and i have a battery guard and it gets caught on stuff but thats what the 35c packs and the brood 35t motor are for that im putting in but the way it is right now its fine
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #194
I wanna be Dave

i haven't cranked up the power on my yet (45t with 2s 10c pack) but i am considering going up to 3s. i would need to wire in the bec for my goat 3s esc to do that but it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #195
I wanna be Dave

not a big update. i finally upgraded to 3s and all i can say is wow! i know the difference in numbers between 2s and 3s but seeing it in action is impressive.
as part of the switch i finally got rid of the rear saddle pack plate. it worked well in some places and the run time was incredible but i found too many times have the even weight balance just didn't cut it.

i've also been absorbed with putting together a rock course in the back yard. have a few piles set up with plenty more rocks to spread between them.

here are some pics of my new rear axle set up and the rock course (with creeper for scale). the last pic is the pile i still need to move from another part of the yard to the crawler course.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #196
I wanna be Dave

Default anyone still having issues getting HR knuckles, c-hubs, rear lockouts? i found them!

there is a hobby shop near me that still has some in stock. their website is www.hobbyetc.com. i think he said there was at least 10 of each still in stock. just wanting to help people out.

no pics yet but i'll be upgrading my creeper this week.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #197
I wanna be Dave

got some tools for the workshop (bandsaw, belt sander, mini cutoff saw) and new parts for my creeper! nice father's day gifts!

after getting the lockouts and front c-hubs/knuckles installed i was having the same issue many people had with the stock creeper hexes sitting too deep on the axle pins. so, a quick spot on the new belt sander to thin them down and perfect fit.

a few pics of the equipment and the newly upgraded creeper:
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2011, 04:53 AM   #198
I wanna be Dave

a little update. i ran in my first comp two weekends ago and the creeper did well...at the start. i ran in sportsman so no dig. did great on the first course but going into the last gate had a little grinding in the rear axle. decided to give it a go on the second run but i was basically fwd. still did ok. we were only able to get in two courses but i pulled off first place. the creeper did well.

after taking the axle apart it was missing a tooth from the pinion. i guess something in the drivetrain had to break eventually.

i liked the sportsman runs enough that i pulled off the dig. need to make a few more tweaks based on how it run but i'm looking forward to the next comp!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #199
Rock Stacker

nice one, good to see some more creepers on top!!

looks like u have a great little workshop setup too.
granborismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #200
I wanna be Dave

my workshop has proven pretty convenient for working on my crawlers.

after the comp i decided to slightly change my front link setup. i'm also going to move my battery mount closer to the center of the axle to get it way from the tires as full steer.