Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > West Virginia

Notices

Thread: w.v.,northern v.a.,crawlers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2006, 10:10 PM   #81
RCC Addict

That tranny shur is purty. Someone quote that out of context, ha. The clod looks good too. Those are the types of rocks I'd prefer for crawling. Smooth creek rocks get frustrating, especially covered in moss. But I guess if you practice in less traction you'll be that much better when you hit the higher traction.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2006, 05:28 AM   #82
RCC Addict

traylor4x4: Nice rigs you have there. I really like the Clod.

Jamus: When I get home from work I will have to post up pics of my winter playground. It is at Sutton Lake. When they have the water down to winter pool some great rockey areas expose themselves. I'll post the pics up because others close might be interested in it as well and maybe just never considered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnut38
Prime, your right who needs sleep, the build muust go on
LOL not I. I got the plate cut out and test fitted. I just need to drill the mounting holes. It looks pretty good sofar for my first attempt. That plate is a pain to cut. lol
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:50 AM   #83
Rock Stacker

How does it hold together, there is not much chassi there? It is hard to make out how the chassi is all bolted together at the axles.
rctraxzdriver33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:56 AM   #84
Rock Stacker

Prime, you are right! I have been up there in the winter and I did see some good spots the last time I was up there. We will have to talk to Frank and BJ.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:45 AM   #85
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctraxzdriver33
How does it hold together, there is not much chassi there? It is hard to make out how the chassi is all bolted together at the axles.
Do a search for stick or torsion stick in the TLT section. For a TLT it's usuallu a piece of angle aluminum hard mounted to the axles. no links, no shocks, bare minimum. By the time you add weight to the tires your COG in under the axles. It's still a tempting design, but I think I'm going to go with the links and homemade TVP chassis.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:04 PM   #86
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctraxzdriver33
Prime, you are right! I have been up there in the winter and I did see some good spots the last time I was up there. We will have to talk to Frank and BJ.

It is a nice place to play around. After frank gets his together I may have to convince him to take it out there for a run. And as promised here are some pics from Sutton Lake. These are from about 2 years ago. The rig is my Ripper Clod.

Here are a couple from the Williams River area. These are about 2 years old as well. No big rocks in these pics, but was fun none the less. There are much bigger rocks up there just not where I was at when these pics where taken.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #87
Rock Stacker

Those are some good pics,it makes me want to hurry up and get me a crawler. I forgot about that ripper clod it is a awsome truck! It made a great crawler and a great race truck depending on how you tune it. Do you still have it?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:02 PM   #88
Pebble Pounder

Default Been Building

Hey guys, been building. Just checking in to see whats going on. By the way Manny, AWESOME pics. Looks like a great place to do some crawling. Great looking clod too. I am making progress on my TLT, but still a long way to go.
rcnut38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #89
RCC Addict

Looks like a couple great places. The last 2 pics look like the creek in my backyard though.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:22 AM   #90
RCC Addict

Thanks for the complements on the Clod. I love that little rig. Thats the one RC my wife told me I am never allowed to sell. lol

rctraxzdriver33:Yup I still have it. I have it set up for for racing right now, but as soon as I finish my TXT rebuild I am going to convert the Clod back to a crawler. And I agree, the Ripper is just an awesome truck. Crazy flex even with the swaybars.

rcnut38: Glad you are making progress. I can not wait to see that thing running.

Jamus: Sutton Lake is a fun place to craw, but you have to deal with the cold. Those rocks are only exposed in the winter time. In the summer they are under about 10' of water. :-(

Last edited by Prime; 12-21-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:46 AM   #91
RCC Addict

Man, I know of a great place, but it's probably out of the way for most of you. Its just outside of Beckley. I'll get some pics next time I'm out that way. No vegatation, all nice jagged rocks. We take out 1:1 rigs up in there sometimes.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:02 AM   #92
RCC Addict

Where at? I used to live in Beckley and still make it down there about once a month. I used to race at Left Turn Hobbies until it shut down.
Looking forward to the pics.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:40 AM   #93
RCC Addict

No kidding, I hate not having a local hobby shop. Closest thing to me is the HobbyTown in Cross Lanes. The place I'm thinking of is on 19 out past the mall. There's a Sunoco station and acres and acres of land with rocks all over. I guess it's mining or logging leftover land. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow, but my camera isn't the best.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:40 PM   #94
RCC Addict

Ok I know the area. That may make a good place. I never really paid much attention to it. As far as a LHS, what about Xtreme sports? They sell RC stuff. Mostly Maxx/revo stuff but they told me they can order most anything.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #95
Rock Crawler

when i get my tlt up and running ill take some picts of my crawl spots.
theres a lot of crawl spots on the capon river, and a whole lot more in a place called Quaker Woods. The places in Quaker Woods has got some crazy to mild crawl spots. The rocks are not small, There HUGE, so lots of fun hill climbs and stuff to crawl. The spot is off rought 50.
west virginia krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:14 PM   #96
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
Ok I know the area. That may make a good place. I never really paid much attention to it. As far as a LHS, what about Xtreme sports? They sell RC stuff. Mostly Maxx/revo stuff but they told me they can order most anything.
Extreme sports, that the place on Robert C. Byrd drive? I saw em once driving a nitro around in that CVS parking lot before, never knew they actually carried RC stuff though. Figured it was a slow day and they were goofing off.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:16 PM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Talking

Hey Prime is that the ripper clod that I used to have?
That is two trucks of mine that you have, what the heck was I thinking anyway????

traylor4x4; love the front dig, does it work well?

Rcnut38; I picked up your pressure plates for your slipper clutch today, let me know when you want to get together.

Last edited by Nitro; 12-21-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:23 PM   #98
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus
Extreme sports, that the place on Robert C. Byrd drive? I saw em once driving a nitro around in that CVS parking lot before, never knew they actually carried RC stuff though. Figured it was a slow day and they were goofing off.
Yup thats the place. Check it out sometime. It's not to bad of a place and it beats a drive to Charleston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro
Hey Prime is that the ripper clod that I used to have?
Nope, sorry. I built this one out of one of the first batch of Ripper kits and have had it ever since. Mine started as a mint Bullhead I got cheap off eBay. I bought it and the Ripper kit at about the same time.

Last edited by Prime; 12-21-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:04 PM   #99
Pebble Pounder

nitro-don't know hope to have the truck in my hands tomarrow.:-(
traylor4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:07 PM   #100
RCC Addict

Welp, no pics today, sorry. Was raining and all the last minute shoppers were going nuts. Saw 4 or 5 accidents. People just acting stupid. All I need is some BBQ chicken and pepporoni rolls from the deli and these freak want to kill me to get their tickle-me-elmo, or whatever is the hot thing this year. I'm going to a country that doesn't celebrate Christmas next year from 2 days before Thanksgiving till around January 15th.