Notices

Thread: Lr3 + ta-02

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #21
FLB
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser3100 View Post
Wow, i need to pick up a Rastar lr3 body then. My sons newbright lr3 is a bit on the narrow side. Oh well it works great with the cc-01 chassis since its track is narrow. When i had the body on my scx10 chassis it looked like a mini trucker with the wheels sticking waaay out! Cant wait to see whats next.
I played around with Axial's and TLT's. They would need some serious narrowing. The Losi MRC axles are too narrow- some 5mm wheel adaptors would work except not with these wheels- they are pin mount. The New Bright LR3 on a CC-01 works pretty well but on this body CC-01 needs to be streeeeetched and you still have a live axle in the rear. TA-02 seems perfect for this body-
FLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #22

Wow this is a nice build would love to see it finished
that.minitrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:06 AM   #23
FLB
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by that.minitrucker View Post
Wow this is a nice build would love to see it finished
Thanks-me too! Getting parts together for drive train. More this weekend.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #24
FLB
Rock Crawler

Just a little more done-got the transfer case and drive shafts fitted. Still need to figure out the motor and tranny.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #25
FLB
Rock Crawler

Decided to braze up the LR3 Expedition Rack. I have the New Bright version but it looked kind a small on this body. This is still very rough! Should clean up pretty good-
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #26
FLB
Rock Crawler

Stuffed the motor and Axial tranny in-got all the drive shafts connected-everything turns pretty smooth.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #27

Love it! The 1.55's look awesome and you get to keep the original interior.
How far does the transfer case hang down? ie. what is the belly clearance?

Are you planning on keeping the hood and doors functional? I'm thinking to glue them shut on my rastar body to add some rigidity and to maintain alignment of the doors with the body.
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:59 AM   #28
FLB
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J. View Post
Love it! The 1.55's look awesome and you get to keep the original interior.
How far does the transfer case hang down? ie. what is the belly clearance?

Are you planning on keeping the hood and doors functional? I'm thinking to glue them shut on my rastar body to add some rigidity and to maintain alignment of the doors with the body.
Thanks for your feedback! Transfer case has about 2" of clearance-which will be fine for the type of driving I am going to do with this one. It's actually the diffs that hang lower-those Tamiya chassis were never tall-even on the Stadium Truck. I still need to see how compact I can make the housings. The doors might get glued shut but either the hood or hatch might stay functional for electronics access.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Absolutely stunning! I told myself that i would not pick up another body but this LR3 is calling. BTW what type of steel are you using for the roof rack? Are you just using steel sheet and cutting it in long strips? Then again it looks like 1/8 steel tube that you just grinded down to make the sides look flat. Im gonna make some sort of rack for my sons LR3. Gotta get those red diffs painted black or something though!
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

VERY cool idea, I love it!! Keep up the great work... I had to bite the bullet and pick up a Rastar LR3, partly inspired by your build.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #31
FLB
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser3100 View Post
Absolutely stunning! I told myself that i would not pick up another body but this LR3 is calling. BTW what type of steel are you using for the roof rack? Are you just using steel sheet and cutting it in long strips? Then again it looks like 1/8 steel tube that you just grinded down to make the sides look flat. Im gonna make some sort of rack for my sons LR3. Gotta get those red diffs painted black or something though!
Appreciate the comments. You are correct on the tubing, except it is 3/16" brake line for the top and bottom, roughly .060 sheet for the vertical supports, thin sheet (forgot what gauge-close to .040") strips for the cross members and some very thin metal flashing material used to form the wind deflector-and of course some auto putty for the not so easy to form wind deflector! Absolutely going to black out the diffs-I also got some aluminum upgrades for them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
VERY cool idea, I love it!! Keep up the great work... I had to bite the bullet and pick up a Rastar LR3, partly inspired by your build.
That's great! Please post picks if you start a build-
Old 10-31-2010, 07:20 AM   #32
FLB
Rock Crawler

Got everything disassembled-blasted and repainted. I disassembled and trimmed the diffs down a bit more, re-assembled and sprayed as well. I also added a few aluminum hop up parts. Everything is back together-I think it cleaned up pretty good-at least there are no more red differentials!
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2010, 08:13 AM   #33
cherry bomb

very nice build, I was wondering where people were getting there LR3's with clear windows and whatnot, now I know, I just finnished mine, mines prretty...ok VERY basic compared to your's I but a new bright LR3 onto a CC01 chassis, I like how it turned out, yours is amazing however, I cant wait to see it completed.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:29 AM   #34
FLB
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
very nice build, I was wondering where people were getting there LR3's with clear windows and whatnot, now I know, I just finnished mine, mines prretty...ok VERY basic compared to your's I but a new bright LR3 onto a CC01 chassis, I like how it turned out, yours is amazing however, I cant wait to see it completed.
I have a New Bright body on a CC-01 as well-CC-01 is a great match for the New Bright body. These Rastar bodies seem a little more accurately proportioned (they are larger too). Appreciate the comments! Thank you.

Last edited by FLB; 10-31-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:20 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Awesome!
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #36
FLB
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
Awesome!
Thanks Man! Been watching your Hilux build-
Old 10-31-2010, 09:38 AM   #37

Great looking LR I never thought to use a Ta02 the rack looks great all you need now is a grill guard like the one on the 1:1
highlift23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #38
FLB
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlift23 View Post
Great looking LR I never thought to use a Ta02 the rack looks great all you need now is a grill guard like the one on the 1:1
Thanks-How's this?
Attached Images

Last edited by FLB; 11-01-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:39 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Thats an awesome looking lr3! thats a pretty cool body, but what really got me is that top picture, i thought it was your 1:1 and the bottom picture was the 1:10
motostowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:00 PM   #40

Wow, looking great, just like a 1:1.

Any progress on getting the roof rack mounted?
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote