Notices

Thread: Tommy R's Boring Class 1 Street Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #341
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tommy R's Boring Class 1 Street Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerj View Post
Good idea for the tool, havent had any trouble with the stockers yet but if I do will have to give this a shot. Love those wheels, just got mine back from being black anodized and mounted Pro-line tsl's on them earlier tonight.
Thanks! I've been thinking of picking up another set to paint or anodize black. Got any pics?
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #342
Quarry Creeper

Sure, Chico Metal Finishing, inc. did the anodizing for me and did a great job. Was going to just paint them as the ring hides a lot of the color but after painting other rims in the past and not having it hold up, bit the bullet and got them coated.

diggerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #343
I wanna be Dave

Oh, now that's just sexy right there!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #344
Old guy

Nice Tommy tool. I'm stealing it.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #345
Quarry Creeper

There going on my TF2, you can see how far I have gotten on the first pic.,lol. Guess I should get busy.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #346
I wanna be Dave

Had a scale comp yesterday. Did well, but hit a stupid gate and a lack of scale points certainly didn't help. Had fun, though!

Afterward we did a little trail run and things got a bit messy....

Old 08-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #347
Quarry Creeper

Truck looks great even covered, looks like the trail ride was fun as well.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #348
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Had a scale comp yesterday. Did well, but hit a stupid gate and a lack of scale points certainly didn't help. Had fun, though!
Damn Tommy, what more can you do for scale points? Other than mirrors and a driver/passenger. I assume you have lights and a winch.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #349
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
Damn Tommy, what more can you do for scale points? Other than mirrors and a driver/passenger. I assume you have lights and a winch.
I've already maxed out my "trinket" scale points. Even adding a second winch (which I plan) isn't going to help. I could add an interior cage and a metal bumper to gain some more points. But other points would be from a headache rack or other stuff that just don't fit my vision for the truck. And I won't compromise my creativity for points. I'm stubborn like that!

That being said, I think I've decided this body will be shelved soon. I'll keep the chassis for my C1 rig, but it'll get a new body that will fit my vision, but will also yield more scale points. I'm just tired of this one anyway. Time for a change...
Old 08-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #350
I wanna be Dave

Did a little crawl yesterday. Was having a great time 'til my HH Crawlmaster Pro crapped out after playing around in some water for a few minutes. This motor has a habit of doing that. I'm beginning to wonder if I need stronger springs to better secure the brushes to the comm? Usually, after a thorough cleaning it'll run just fine. Let's hope that's the case this time, too!

Anyway, a buddy grabbed this pic of the Yota and I thought it was kinda cool... Man, this poor thing needs a new paintjob......BAD!!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #351
RCC Addict

It looks just right....
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #352
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difuser View Post
It looks just right....
Thanks, Dan! I don't mind the rock rash, but I hate being able to see white plastic through the paint. If I repaint it, it'll be white so it'll be less obvious. But I doubt I'll keep this body long enough to do that.

Here's another pic from yesterday.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #353
RCC Addict

What body is next?
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #354
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
What body is next?
Well, I'm kicking around a couple ideas, actually. Not sure which one I'll use, but it should end up being a convertible, one way or another.

We did another trail run today. Three of us went up this really gnarly hiking trail full of loose rock, dirt, boulders, etc. It's a challenge for most Class 2 and 3 style rigs (and a challenge merely to walk it!). We were in much less capable rigs. But what we didn't allow any "hand of God"! So if you rolled or couldn't make a climb, you had to winch yourself over or get strapped. It made crawling SO much more fun and it became a team sport!

We got a ton of video today so hopefully my buddy will put something together soon.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #355
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Well, I'm kicking around a couple ideas, actually. Not sure which one I'll use, but it should end up being a convertible, one way or another.
subbed
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #356
I wanna be Dave

So I decided to try 4s on this rig. I've been running 87/20 with my Crawlmaster Pro 13t and it's been pretty darn good. But I've been wondering how it would perform on 4s so I picked up a battery to test. It's only a 25c continuous, compared to the 40c continuous of my 3s battery (both 1300 mah). Honestly, the difference isn't as dramatic as I would've expected. It's faster, but not by that much. I wonder if the c rating is coming into play here? I wouldn't have thought it'd be a factor for a crawler, but maybe? Ah well, I think I'll stick with it to see how I like it. So far, the low speed resolution is also quite good so no complaints there. Here's the old 3s battery on top next to the new 4s battery on the bottom.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #357

sick yota.
ek9808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #358
I wanna be Dave

Well, folks, I believe the time has come to move on from this rig. I've been wanting to make this into a different Class 1 rig for some time, but have been waiting 'til my Class 2 rig is built. Unfortunately, it appears I'm going to be waiting on parts for the C2 rig for a while longer.....and that means I'm going to focus on revamping this truck now, rather than later. This chassis will live on. Too many good parts in this rig to not re-utilize them.

But the Toyota-specific stuff (body, bumpers, sliders, and body mounts) will all be shelved for something new. It's a shame, really. I've got a ton of time, effort, and money wrapped up in this body, but it's simply not worth enough to sell....so they will likely all gather dust in my hobby room closet. What a sad end, really...

Hopefully, this new rig will be cooler and less boring. I'll post a link to the build thread when the time comes, but it's doubtful the Boring Toyota will run again in it's current form.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #359
~THE SCALE SHOP~

saw the post about the split skid you were waiting on :(
good news is now C1 gets some love. looking forward to it!
i try to follow your posts on the forum so have some guess as the your new direction. cant wait to see it.

btw your crawler doesnt pull enough amps to see the difference between 25C and 40C. the 25C is just fine. especially since you volted up which lowered amps.
the C rating is very important on high draining planes and helis. especially with the constant nature of the draw. for a crawler, not so much.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #360
PapaGriz Yo

Bummer to hear the body is going into drydock, it's a great looking rig. And if it's boring then I like boring.

Interested to see what happens next though.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote