Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tommy R's Boring Class 1 Street Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #141
I wanna be Dave

Dang, looks like in the outage we lost some posts. Well, anyway I've got a little update for today. First is the pic I posted yesterday which shows the routing of the winch line since the winch is located in the rear of the truck.

And I mentioned that I was having interference issues putting the body on. Turns out it was contacting all the wires under the interior and wouldn't sit as low as I wanted. So today I whipped up a new electronics plate. It holds the ESC, battery, receiver, and the BEC (when I install it).

Obviously, I have some wire organizing ahead of me, but it all fits perfectly now that I have the ESC sitting lower. That MMP is a big 'un!!

I'm SOOO excited to be nearly done with this truck! More importantly I can't wait to run it in Montana! All that's left now is the lights, wire clean-up, and to install the fender flares. The flares will be temporary for Montana to make it legal, but long term I may install narrower axles to tuck the tires better.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #142
I wanna be Dave

I'm wondering if I really need to run an external BEC in this rig. The Mamba Max Pro is set to 6v and it's powering an 18.5T brushless, high torque steering servo, and a servo winch. Is the internal BEC of the MMP capable of handling the current draw of this setup?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #143
I wanna be Dave

I heard of issues with the mmp bec.... not sure if it got fixed? I would test it and if all goes well then your good to go But i would keep an external bec close just in case.
Keep up the great work
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Konceptz View Post
I heard of issues with the mmp bec.... not sure if it got fixed? I would test it and if all goes well then your good to go But i would keep an external bec close just in case.
Keep up the great work
I'm tempted to try it, but I may not have chance to put it through its paces hard enough before the big show to verify it's okay. Then again, it IS just a little ol' Class 1 rig with itty bitty tires. It might be just fine without one.

And for the heck of it, here's a profile pic at full weight except for fender liners and some scale accessories. I like it. And thanks to Eddie's Crawler Innovations foams, the tires even have a little squat to them.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #145
Rock Stacker

Your were right Tommy, the height looks alot better with the electronics installed, That thing is going to look sweet flexed out on the trails!
CHEVOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #146
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
I'm wondering if I really need to run an external BEC in this rig. The Mamba Max Pro is set to 6v and it's powering an 18.5T brushless, high torque steering servo, and a servo winch. Is the internal BEC of the MMP capable of handling the current draw of this setup?
In my go fast, the Mmp has a steering servo and motor fan running off the bec. The fan slows down in time with steering. Two servos may be too much for it. Awesome controller otherwise. Imo go with an external bec if possible.

Nice truck btw. Fender wells will button it up :thumbsup:

Sent from my crappy DROIDX via Tapatalk

Last edited by Meatwad; 05-06-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #147
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, y'all! Well, I decided to go ahead with the BEC to be on the safe side. The truck also now has front fender liners.

I added a couple scale accessories. I don't like how they stand out like a sore thumb so if time allows I may removed them and paint them black. This truck is intended to be a mildly built daily driver. As a result, I don't want loads of stickers on it. But I felt I should represent some companies at MSD who were pretty instrumental in this build. Thanks, folks!!

Last edited by Tommy R; 05-06-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #148
I wanna be Dave

very clean work Tommy
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #149
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rc View Post
very clean work Tommy
Thanks, man! I updated the pic of the bed because there was another company I wanted to add to the "billboard".
Old 05-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #150
I wanna be Dave

very impressive build tommyi like the fact that it looks this good without being "overdone" nice simple, ahh f*** it, the damn thing is boring. great job man
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #151
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4lyf View Post
very impressive build tommyi like the fact that it looks this good without being "overdone" nice simple, ahh f*** it, the damn thing is boring. great job man
Boring is the new cool.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #152
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks, y'all! Well, I decided to go ahead with the BEC to be on the safe side. The truck also now has front fender liners.

I added a couple scale accessories. I don't like how they stand out like a sore thumb so if time allows I may removed them and paint them black. This truck is intended to be a mildly built daily driver. As a result, I don't want loads of stickers on it. But I felt I should represent some companies at MSD who were pretty instrumental in this build. Thanks, folks!!

Wow thanks for the sticker in the bed... You know that your truck would be Naked without the plate
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #153
I wanna be Dave

There's nothing boring at all about this rig

I too am making a Toyota Hilux for Street, and was wondering how you made your inner fender wells? Are they attached to the frame with glue? Did you just make them from thin styrene?

I'm diggin the whole look.

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #154
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Konceptz View Post
Wow thanks for the sticker in the bed... You know that your truck would be Naked without the plate
You know it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
There's nothing boring at all about this rig

I too am making a Toyota Hilux for Street, and was wondering how you made your inner fender wells? Are they attached to the frame with glue? Did you just make them from thin styrene?

I'm diggin the whole look.

Thanks, man! The fender liners are cut from the lid of a stack of CDs and cut to shape. Two screws hold it in place: the shock mounting screw and one of the shock mount screws. I did this on my F350 way back when, but I think it was Bender who originally came up with the idea. Thin styrene was going to be the plan 'til I realized I had one of these cases in my office last night.

BTW, love the new avatar! LAAANNNAAAAAAA!!!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #155
Rock Stacker

Awesome...dont know what i like better...your c1 or c3???
Is there any chance you could get some dirty pics of it for my desktop....Before Montana????
Frankie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #156
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You know it!!

Thanks, man! The fender liners are cut from the lid of a stack of CDs and cut to shape. Two screws hold it in place: the shock mounting screw and one of the shock mount screws. I did this on my F350 way back when, but I think it was Bender who originally came up with the idea. Thin styrene was going to be the plan 'til I realized I had one of these cases in my office last night.

BTW, love the new avatar! LAAANNNAAAAAAA!!!!!
Well I tracked down a CD cover from the brother-in-law and made me some fenders for my Landy They work great!!!

I love Archer.....LOL

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #157
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie G View Post
Awesome...dont know what i like better...your c1 or c3???
Is there any chance you could get some dirty pics of it for my desktop....Before Montana????
Thanks! No dirty pics before Montana, though. Gotta keep it purty 'til its debut at MSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
Well I tracked down a CD cover from the brother-in-law and made me some fenders for my Landy They work great!!!

I love Archer.....LOL

Excellent! And being clear, it really makes it easy to determine where to drill the mounting holes.

And yeah, Archer is the man!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #158
Oppan Gangnam Style

What's up show truck bed!

Just kidding, looking good!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #159
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
What's up show truck bed!

Just kidding, looking good!
Big pimpin' yo!!

I didn't want to put stickers on this rig, but wanted to help out some folks who I feel helped me. I figured putting the stickers in the bed would be visible by on-lookers from above, but not from a profile view. I figured it was a decent compromise. If they bother me too much, I'll remove them, but we'll see...
Old 05-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #160
I wanna be Dave

It ships off to Montana tomorrow.