Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Jeep Wrangler build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Davies View Post
I'm sorry if this comes across as "Cool truck dude!"....

But I *AM* seriously and sincerely impressed by the "look" and quality of the build - a pretty much perfect JEEP for the Rubicon Trail.

Well done! ...and thanks for sharing the build with us

-Rob

Well thanks Davies. I wouldnt say it is "perfect" but it really is a blast to tear around with. I am most impressed with the tires and how they perform. Up next is a 45 turn lathe for some more crawlin power. Again thank you for the nice words.
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #42
Sinking with the ship

Another long islander, cool , Jeep looks good. I have one myself that I just havent had time to do anything with :-(. Where on the island are you?

-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 AM   #43
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Another long islander, cool , Jeep looks good. I have one myself that I just havent had time to do anything with :-(. Where on the island are you?

-Mike
Thanks,

I think I remembered seeing your Jeep. Yellow right? Well if you ever get to messing with it, be sure to post some pics. I live in Manorville. We should go Jeepin' one day. Mine needs more rock rash!
Old 05-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Default Small update on the EVILTWIN

OK just a small update but I swapped out the hummer wheels for High Lift wheels painted semi gloss black and with TSS rock rings. Also thew in the Integy 45 turn motor. I also repaired the front headlights since they both popped out last run. No pics of the front body mount but I reconfigured it a bit and it is way better than before. Here are a few pics with the new wheels.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

very nice. super clean rig.
you can add bolts to the TSS rock rings, like this:
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
Thanks Pantablo

Are they just the bolt heads glued on or did you drill holes in the wheel and screw them in? What size bolts are they also?

Thanks in advance and I love your soft top G bye the way.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

I dont know the exact size of the screws. they came with my TSS chassis as extra screws. They're socket head wood screws though. very thin and about 5/16" long IIRC. I drilled a hole just bin enough to self thread the screw, drilling through the rim (and likely the tire bead) then screwed them in.
They look pretty good on the gwag and appropriate as I have true beadlocks on the wheels as well.

thanks. Yours looks killer too!
Old 05-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #48
RCC Addict

Quote:
I dont know the exact size of the screws. they came with my TSS chassis as extra screws. They're socket head wood screws though. very thin and about 5/16" long IIRC. I drilled a hole just bin enough to self thread the screw, drilling through the rim (and likely the tire bead) then screwed them in.
They look pretty good on the gwag and appropriate as I have true beadlocks on the wheels as well.

thanks. Yours looks killer too!
Nice. Since you have the true beadlocks, was the spare wheel on the hood the only one you have done like that? It looks great but I can imagine myself sitting there and doing all four. It is going to take a while. I may give it a try though. Thanks again
Old 05-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Hey there, gotta say I love the build....
I am about ready to start getting all the electronics for THIS.......

I was wondering what all you did to the front suspension to get travel out of it...
Also really digging the rear suspension..
I am really considering hacking this body up... maybe even going so far as to make the hardtop truely removable, along with the doors.....
Your Evil Twin and the othe Blue Jeep are true insirations...
Anyone can restore somthing, but it takes nuts to cut it up!
crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler_king View Post
Hey there, gotta say I love the build....
I am about ready to start getting all the electronics for THIS.......

I was wondering what all you did to the front suspension to get travel out of it...
Also really digging the rear suspension..
I am really considering hacking this body up... maybe even going so far as to make the hardtop truely removable, along with the doors.....
Your Evil Twin and the othe Blue Jeep are true insirations...
Anyone can restore somthing, but it takes nuts to cut it up!
Thanks so much!

I didnt really do much of anything to the front suspension. As for cutting up the body, it took me a few days to really decide to do it but I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I have another Tamiya Jeep kit NIB so I knew if I messed it up I had another to build someday. But I am really glad I did it because it is different and since I will build the other one mostly stock, I think they would look cool side by side. I would love to see the removable hard top and doors so make sure you post pics if you go that route. Your body looks like its in great shape too so you may want to try to give it a sweet paint job before you cut it up. Who knows you may like it uncut. Then if you dont like the way it turned out... hack it up
Anyway good luck and thanks for the compliments.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
Nice. Since you have the true beadlocks, was the spare wheel on the hood the only one you have done like that? It looks great but I can imagine myself sitting there and doing all four. It is going to take a while. I may give it a try though. Thanks again
didnt take as long as you'd think. Goes quick. it was the only one I did though.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
didnt take as long as you'd think. Goes quick. it was the only one I did though.
Sweet. Thanks pantablo.

Rock on
Old 05-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks so much!

I didnt really do much of anything to the front suspension. As for cutting up the body, it took me a few days to really decide to do it but I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I have another Tamiya Jeep kit NIB so I knew if I messed it up I had another to build someday. But I am really glad I did it because it is different and since I will build the other one mostly stock, I think they would look cool side by side. I would love to see the removable hard top and doors so make sure you post pics if you go that route. Your body looks like its in great shape too so you may want to try to give it a sweet paint job before you cut it up. Who knows you may like it uncut. Then if you dont like the way it turned out... hack it up
Anyway good luck and thanks for the compliments.
I hear you.. Belive me it is really hard for me to leave well enough alone..
The main reason I wanted this sucker is because I had a wrangler ed YJ but always wanted to turn it into more of an off road rig.. only got as far as a 2 inch lift..
So now is my chance.. I would love to see it on a trailer behind my Blackfoot/High Lift hybrid...
would just look so right...
Old 06-05-2008, 06:39 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

What gauge/weight styrene did you use for building up the rockers? and how did you attach it? (aside from with glue) did you glue anothe piece behind the body and then lay the new rocker down on it and glue it to the body and back peice?
Old 06-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
OK just a small update but I swapped out the hummer wheels for High Lift wheels painted semi gloss black and with TSS rock rings. Also thew in the Integy 45 turn motor. I also repaired the front headlights since they both popped out last run. No pics of the front body mount but I reconfigured it a bit and it is way better than before. Here are a few pics with the new wheels.
How much were these rings? Do they glue on or how did you mount them? Looks great with those on there!

Quote:
Can you define the hardware you used a bit more for the rings? How did you attach them to the wheel as well? I am going to buy some Integy wheels and want to add rings to them with the scale looking bolts.

Hope I didn't hijack - thanks for the info from you both.

Jon
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #56
~THE SCALE SHOP~

there 2-56 wood/sheetmetal socket heads.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
there 2-56 wood/sheetmetal socket heads.
exactly.
I had the rings glued to the wheel previously. The rings come with the holes in them already. You attach the rings by gluing them to the wheel, and Stang Killa SS is the guy that makes and sells them.
Then I drilled through each hole with 1/16" drill bit (I think).
Then I screwed the 2-56 wood/sheet metal socket head screws into the wheel. They were self threading so they're threaded into the wheel plastic.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #58
~THE SCALE SHOP~

1/16" is correct. same size i use to drill the chassis skids/braces.
looks great imo pablo!
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
1/16" is correct. same size i use to drill the chassis skids/braces.
looks great imo pablo!
Again, sorry to ask questions in your thread, but I am wondering how well your rings would work with these: http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product...&productId=885

Is glue really strong enough? They don't pop off when scrubbed against rocks? I am definitely buying some regardless, but I want to make sure before I do. Will these fit these wheels? Would you suggest I get the 16-hole pattern?
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

I dont know how the CA would hold up on the aluminum rims but on my plastic rims I did eventually pop a couple off. Luckily I saw when they came off and reglued them...I guess if you did the screws you wouldnt have the problem, lol...

although one thing to be concerned about if you do the screws on the wheels is that they stick out and will catch on the rocks. true beadlocks have the screws somewhat recessed so its not as big an issue on them.