Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Jeep Wrangler build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #61
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
Again, sorry to ask questions in your thread, but I am wondering how well your rings would work with these: http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product...&productId=885

Is glue really strong enough? They don't pop off when scrubbed against rocks? I am definitely buying some regardless, but I want to make sure before I do. Will these fit these wheels? Would you suggest I get the 16-hole pattern?
i had them on my nats jeep with aluminum wheels. they dont hold as good as plastic, but threw 3 days of nats courses, 12 hour days, nasty rolls, crashes, river crossings, etc i only had 1 ring pop off. i only put about 10 drops on them, had i ran CA all the way around they probly would have been fine.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler_king View Post
What gauge/weight styrene did you use for building up the rockers? and how did you attach it? (aside from with glue) did you glue anothe piece behind the body and then lay the new rocker down on it and glue it to the body and back peice?
.60 Styrene I think (it was slightly thinner than the body). I did add a piece to the inside with CA glue then added the lower panel and glued that to the inside piece. Then I used Quicksteel to bond them and add a little thickness since the styrene was a bit thinner. Sanded it. Used some bondo to full in any uneven areas. Then primer and paint. Wish I had some better pics, sorry.
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
.60 Styrene I think (it was slightly thinner than the body). I did add a piece to the inside with CA glue then added the lower panel and glued that to the inside piece. Then I used Quicksteel to bond them and add a little thickness since the styrene was a bit thinner. Sanded it. Used some bondo to full in any uneven areas. Then primer and paint. Wish I had some better pics, sorry.

Yup- Thats exactly how I did mine too..! Heres an old shot of it before, It met its fate with the "Mini-Rubicon" 13 ft. rock garden I wheel it on..!!
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #64
RCC Addict

I know its a bad pic ( as far as showing details of how I did the lower rockers) but heres another wrangler YJ i did the same thing too..! Gotta love a chopped YJ..!!!!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

Damn! is that a heng long smoke unit out of one of their tanks???
I thought I was the only one thinking about that application...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51WillysJeep View Post
I know its a bad pic ( as far as showing details of how I did the lower rockers) but heres another wrangler YJ i did the same thing too..! Gotta love a chopped YJ..!!!!

crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:56 AM   #66
RCC Addict

LOL , Nope, Basically just a Clever routing of fuel line, and cigarette smoke..! The whole thing was just basically staged to snap a few pics of a "smoking" exaust..!

Anyways, the EVILTWIN Looks Sick man..!I might have to build another one now..!...hhmmmm
Old 06-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #67
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Thanks again 51willys, I actually opened up and started to build the NIB Jeep Wrangler kit I had stored away. Got the chassis mostly done except for some suspension mods and stuff and got the body primed. I am NOT going to hack this one!!!! But if I can ever find a busted up one on ebay or something I plan on another hacked YJ. Ill post some pics soon of the NEW YJ.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #68
RCC Addict

I guess I will be doing some body repairs the the EVIL YJ in the near future. Blew a tire, busted a rear body mount, busted left front headlight, and snapped the grill by the healight too. I also need a stronger steering servo since this one stinks. But this morning was a blast and this was one of the 2 rigs I took out today. Anyway a few pics and I will update with the repairs soon. It also needs to go through the carwash Oh and a new license plate since it did not agree with the water and mud!
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2008, 06:40 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

ok ok ok..i saw this thing and feel in love with it..this is a very sweet build man but if u dont mind do u think u could give me a link to that body? and just wondering but how do u have the body attached?
resetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Don't get your hopes up for that body - it is more rare than Bigfoot is! I say this cause i was just like you when I saw these builds. The body is almost 20 years old (around there). You can find them on Ebay going for like $300-$450 plus!!! If you have money than go for it. Other than that you might have to settle for a few TJ bodies from cheaper r/c's like the ones in this forum.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
Don't get your hopes up for that body - it is more rare than Bigfoot is! I say this cause i was just like you when I saw these builds. The body is almost 20 years old (around there). You can find them on Ebay going for like $300-$450 plus!!! If you have money than go for it. Other than that you might have to settle for a few TJ bodies from cheaper r/c's like the ones in this forum.

ahh ok..well thx for the info man ;) ill stick with the rubicon body then i just dont like the back how its slanted like that but o well..
resetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #72
RCC Addict

There is one on ebay now for $100.00. But it probably will go close to $300.00 by the end of the auction. Good luck though if you go for it. They really are greatly detailed bodies. Stock body mounts in the rear and I will post pics for you of the front mount. I have to clean it up a bit and fix the damage so Ill take some pics for you of the front mount.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #73
RCC Addict

Fixed the YJ today and took it to the car wash. Gutted it and cleaned it from the inside out It is ready for some more bashing.

I used Quicksteel to fix the headlights and the rear body mount. I took it for a quick spin and rolled it once and it held up good so far.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2008, 12:27 AM   #74
Pebble Pounder

Looks good as new...now go break it again!
monsterbeetleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbeetleguy View Post
Looks good as new...now go break it again!
Thanks MBG

And for those of you who had followed this build, I had been doing another Wrangler in another thread. Just wanted to post some pics of the two together.

I love how they both started from the same seed but grew to be so different. That is what makes this hobby so addicting...
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2008, 01:09 AM   #76
Pebble Pounder

Wow, What a great scale body! But come-on... IFS on a jeep? Are you crazy? 1:1 Jeepers would revolt if Jeep ever did that. It really needs straight axles to do the body justice. Of course since I dont have a completed scaler...who am I to talk!
slobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetpunk View Post
ok ok ok..i saw this thing and feel in love with it..this is a very sweet build man but if u dont mind do u think u could give me a link to that body? and just wondering but how do u have the body attached?
Sorry for not posting sooner but here are some pics of how the body is attached. Stock rear mounts, and for the front I drilled two holes in the body and then screw the body down onto the front bumper. It takes and extra minute when you have to take the body off but it was better than pins sticking out of the hood.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #78
RCC Addict

Well I took it out for a spin and a little more carnage... Not as bad this time. Just some deep rock rash and scratches and lost one rock ring (I should have screwed them in pantablo) and lost a tail light. But all is well and items were recovered and are getting put back on asap. This thing is going to need new paint in no time

A few action pics.

enjoy
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #79
RCC Addict

Well a great run today and WOW no damage to my EVIL YJ. Other than a lot more rock rash. A few teaser shots of 1BJB's YJ too. He took a bunch of pics and will be posting soon.

My XC chassis was far more capable than I thought it would be crawling up large rocks. I mainly used it for bashing around and climbing small rock and such but it did very well today with the big stuff.

Mike's YJ is just SICK!!!! Plain and simple. SICK! He has some scratches on it now
Anyway here are a few pics.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2008, 01:26 AM   #80
RCC Addict

Default EVIL YJ rebuild teaser shot

Well it is time for a rebuild and I am going to be getting another chassis from The Scale Shop. The EVIL YJ may not be so evil after this because it is getting new paint as we speak.

Here is some new body armor which was much needed after I stripped this thing down and found a ton a weak spots.

more to come...
Attached Images