Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Comp Courier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #81
RCC Addict

Took the CompCourier out this weekend to test out a new set of tires I just put together...and they are goooooooood.

Im diggin the new chassis and Im about to do some tubework to finish it off. Then itll prolly go back to the shop for some paint and clean up the loose ends. Im not gonna go super scale, no interior or drop bed but I would like to cover up the cab back and maybe add some lights. Until then Im gonna continue beatin the snot out of it!
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Matt, those custom TSLs look great. They appear to be stock!
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

Default The tsl's

Um duh, what did you do to them???
willipmartinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Yeah I appreciate it man! I was a little worried that they were too tall and skinny but they proved that worry to be silly. Ide like to see em a little wider still but I wont let that keep me from usin em as often as Im not usin the 5.0s.
Matt
Old 04-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #85
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipmartinni View Post
Um duh, what did you do to them???
I took and cut em open and added 4 rows from a donor tire to make em 4.75" tall. I then cut the bead out of them and glued in a sliver from the sidewall of a set of Irons I had layin around including the bead so they would fit the 1.9 wheel again. Im glad you cant tell, means I did a decent job. You can see the splices if you look close but now that they are dirty and have been beat on, they look like they came this way!

Next to a Bogger which I was goin after size wise. Im all over it!

Matt
Old 04-12-2011, 03:12 AM   #86
RCC Addict

Nice rubber my friend...I noticed the new pile of rocks your playin on...where are they?
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #87
RCC Addict

Its a spot that Jason found on accident man...and its AAAWWWEEESSSOOOOOOOOOME!!! Its in the Boro up by the dump and we think its prolly a Sunday only deal cause noone was out working that day and we were the only souls in sight. I dunno if it would be smart to have a big GTG there but would be kool to get a bunch of us local guys out for a bashing session!
Matt
Old 04-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post

Damn, looks good. I'm still dumbfounded at how you can manage to get away without leaving a trace of glue on the outside of the tire. I just can't seem to get it done without out glue on the outside. What glue are you using?
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #89
RCC Addict

Blue top CA glue. I used to have so many issues but learned the secret to success...take your time, be patient and use those little sticks with the little bit of foam or whatever on the top that people use for styrene work to spread the glue rather than straight from the bottle. I still goof up but Im quick to wipe it off and it ends up lookin alot better. My early tires are rough but Ive done so many Ive fine-tuned it as I went.
Matt
Old 04-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Ya, I thought about picking up a pipit from the hobby shop, glad to know it works. Do you back yours with purple top CA?
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Used to and never will again. That stuff gets hard a crispy after a while and cracks. I just take that stick thingie and soak it in glue and just line all my cuts from the inside with a good coat of the same blue top CA and let it dry and call it a day! This allows it to flex like theres nothin there rather than a big rib like the purple top junk does.
Matt
Old 04-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #92
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Nice work Matt! That's what size they should be.

I've been lazy and haven't posted any pics/updates on my Courier for a while. Threw on some 1.5 Iroks and steelies....looks pretty bad ass!
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:27 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

When you add the FI bead sliver, do you remove the TSL bead ring first, or just add it to the center?

Tires and rig look great.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #94
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
Nice work Matt! That's what size they should be.

I've been lazy and haven't posted any pics/updates on my Courier for a while. Threw on some 1.5 Iroks and steelies....looks pretty bad ass!
Thanks man, I know its an ugly rig at the moment, but Im gonna cage it, throw some inner fenders and eventually some paint on it. Wont have an interior cause this is a pure performance basher but I do want it to look decent! The TrailCourier is lookin sick tho, 1.55s almost seem a little small on the Courier body since its kinda big but Im runnin em anyways Cant wait to see some good wheelin shots of your shop truck tho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
When you add the FI bead sliver, do you remove the TSL bead ring first, or just add it to the center?

Tires and rig look great.
I appreciate it! I cut the Swamper bead off flat where it cuts in leaving a really nice area to cleanly glue the FlatIron sliver/bead in place. After roughin up the tire you would never know it was there!

Matt
Old 04-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

What foams you running now? Should have mine finished after im back from zoo......damn kids lol
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #96
RCC Addict

I ran outta foam to make some for these so I ran the foams I made for the 5.0's in the front and I stuffed a 2.2 Iron memory foam on top of a non memory foam for the rears. Works great but is only a bandaide till I get some foams made. I will do the normal dual stage for em.

Matt
Old 04-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #97
RCC Addict

Got out and beat on the CompCourier with the swampers again this weekend. Same spot as before, but more mud thanks to some recent storms. Didnt get too many pics of my own rig but I will say that these tires are great!!!

Hardest climb yet, roughly 52* slab of dusty rock. I got the left front tire on the left edge and inched it to the top. Took a while and some careful driving but it did it!!!

Thats all I got for now. I will be workin on it some the next couple weeks to get ready for another big GTG in KY so Ill post updates when I can!
Matt

Last edited by 66sprint6; 04-19-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #98
RCC Addict

I stole these shots from Twisted Nuts just to show the wicked incline from a different angle.

I was able to get up and on the rock a couple times but couldnt go much higher than the first couple pics show. I then figured out a way to hop up to the left and try to use the edge of the rock for more grip and with some VERY light throttle it inched its way to the very top where I had to hammer it to finish off the last section lol.
Matt
Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #99
Quarry Creeper

That thing would is wicked man great job. Might be hitting you up for some tire help
xigtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #100
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4crawler View Post
That thing would is wicked man great job. Might be hitting you up for some tire help
I appreciate it, and ANY time!!!

I tore the body apart last night and used the old Dot 4 brake fluid trick to remove the outside paint. Im gonna try to slick it out as best as I can and fix a few things then put a better coat of paint on it that hopefully wont flake off as easy. I dont mind scratches but flakes just annoy me lol. The bed is in really sad shape and the cab isnt much better...gonna ShoeGoo all the weak spots and see how long I can get by until I need to replace it. I took some pics of the Dot4 treatment and will post them tonight if I have time. I didnt think it would work after a couple coats and no results so I left it overnight and kinda forgot about it. Last night I took it to the sink and the paint was just peeling off. I gotta finish a couple other spots then itll be ready to go!
Matt