Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project Lovell Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #61
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Project Lovell Racing

Great job man. If you wanted to do the spare tire carrier it shouldn't be to hard to add a few extensions off the rear and cut out space in the tail gate for it. My 2 cents , I'd do the spare but either way your rig looks great. Keep us posted.
ngward79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #62
Rock Stacker

Great looking rig man, I was looking foward to the tundra front end.
Andy774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #63
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
beautiful build. everything seems just right. With all the time you have put into this, you should try and rework the spare area, so you are 100% happy.
Thanks for the kind words I took the advice and ran with it, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngward79 View Post
Great job man. If you wanted to do the spare tire carrier it shouldn't be to hard to add a few extensions off the rear and cut out space in the tail gate for it. My 2 cents , I'd do the spare but either way your rig looks great. Keep us posted.
Thanks! After Saturday's 801Rcc Ultra 4 race i came home and went to work on this thing. I kind of based the cage cutting on how the lovell rig is fabbed. The upper rail stops at a similar place on the 1:1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy774 View Post
Great looking rig man, I was looking foward to the tundra front end.
Nah there's already too much toyotota on this thing. It did look mean but just wasn't for me.

Pics are out of order, you can see the chop at the bottom, the mock up at the top, and the rest inbetween.

Last week I picked up a 1:1 2000 zr2 blazer that i'm going to build up. So the exo and 2.2 xr comp rig are more than likely going up for sale to help with funds. Hopefully i can get this done before all my free time goes to the 1:1.
Attached Images

dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Love this rig.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

Was this rig ever completely finished? I'm finally getting back to working on mine and wanted to see how you stuffed everything together under the hood. Post up some body off shots of the finished setup if you can.
wonder squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #66
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post
Was this rig ever completely finished? I'm finally getting back to working on mine and wanted to see how you stuffed everything together under the hood. Post up some body off shots of the finished setup if you can.
Nah not quite i got burnt out on R/c's before summer hit, and am just starting to get my mojo back. Now, being jobless and all I've got a good amount of free time so I have been giving it some attention over the past few days. Hopefully it'll be wrapped up soon. I also broke my collar bone a couple weeks ago and it finally feels well enough i can take it out of the sling and move my arm a little bit. So i took advantage of that and finished everything on the chassis yesterday gimp style- brazed in the fuel tank mount, light bar mounts, front aux light mounts, rear firewall/cab mounts, and a 4 link mount for the rear axle. Then shot it all in silver.

I've got a couple pics. . (body off shots next update)

Man, i haven't updated this in a while! I did get to meet and talk with Brad and Roger Lovell for a while at the Dirt Riot in moab. Super cool guys, and seeing their rig in person was one of the greatest things i've layed my eyes upon.
Attached Images

Last edited by dirk379; 08-26-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #67
RCC Addict

man this looks awsome. its not even done yet.
joeyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #68
RCC Addict

Glad to see this again!

Sorry about your job and shoulder.

Keep the updates coming.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

things guna be sick fersher
kakachille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Get well, get back to work, build and post you can...in that order.

We'll be here...no rush.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #71
Rock Crawler

Looking awesome man , can't wait to see it finished ! I plan building an ultra 4 buggy over the winter and was debating to go 1.9 or 2.2 . Obviously you'd get more grip from the 2.2 but would be heavier . Just curious as to why you did 1.9's when you'd have to run it in class 3 , would the lighter weight be more beneficial ?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #72
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyf View Post
man this looks awsome. its not even done yet.
Haha thanks, i feel ya. I'm not hooking up my rx for that reason, i'll start driving it and it'll never get done

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
Glad to see this again!

Sorry about your job and shoulder.

Keep the updates coming.
Thank you! I actually quit my job to change directions with my career and life. While the pay was good, I'd been very unhappy doing what i was doing for a couple years now. I'm not 100% sure on what i'll be doing, but it was a good time to walk away and so i did. I've got some money set aside to get by for a little while, but hopefully i can find a more "fun" job in a couple weeks while i finish school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakachille View Post
things guna be sick fersher
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Get well, get back to work, build and post you can...in that order.

We'll be here...no rush.
Haha thanks bulldog

Quote:
Looking awesome man , can't wait to see it finished ! I plan building an ultra 4 buggy over the winter and was debating to go 1.9 or 2.2 . Obviously you'd get more grip from the 2.2 but would be heavier . Just curious as to why you did 1.9's when you'd have to run it in class 3 , would the lighter weight be more beneficial ?
Thank you, me either it's getting close! I went 1.9 for a few reasons. These are just my opinions... But i think most parts scale out better to the 1.9 wheels/tires. Sometimes even on the most scale 2.2 builds some items look a bit out of place like for example the axial seats/radiator often come off a bit small to my eyes in the bigger 2.2 chassis (if it's not a cheater small chassis). I also think driving 1.9's is more fun which is the most important part, fun! I don't even know what class i'd run this in, I'm not exactly sure what differentiates class 1,2,3. I always build my scale rigs with looks>performance (to an extent) because i like watching a good looking rig do work more than what lines it can and can't do or what class it fits in.

Okay, I just checked out the rules and again that's why i have a hard time getting into the scale comp scene. I'd love to go to one mainly to check out all the rigs and meet the artists who built them. Hopefully i can make a national event one of these days to do so. But to show up with this rig and compete in class 3 (which you're right, is what it would have to run in) would be a joke. Maybe i'm wrong but i highly doubt it. And no i'm not upset by this at the least bit! I'm sure i'd still have fun trying to complete the courses, but every rig in that class would probably out perform this, and even some light weight full bodied class 1 "DD's" would perform better than this. I have other rigs that i could run, but this one with the current rules would be left on the table for eye candy. I'm not bashing on those who made the rules, as i'm glad i'm not in charge of doing so. But it's hard to group such diverse rigs in terms of scaleness into 3 classes. I don't know, maybe if they did something like a class 3, 1.9, in the tier 1 scaleness division i'd run it. Ah heck who am i kiddin, i'll keep it on the table and enter the best looking rig class and cross my fingers for a top 3 because that's why i like building them.

Thanks for viewing, and stay tuned
Old 08-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #73
MODERHATER™

Very nice rig!

And you would be surprised, there is a class 2 rig here that makes class 3 rigs look stupid.

Why do you think this would be a class 3 rig anyways?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

Sick doesn't quite do it for this rig! Having sat in the real thing...it brings back happy thoughts!
2003EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Very nice rig!

And you would be surprised, there is a class 2 rig here that makes class 3 rigs look stupid.

Mind you I am not trying to step on anybodies toes and please correct me if i am wrong. Also I love this rig he built and I'm sure it will be a very capable rig. According to the rules for class 2 that I've read you have to use a rail chassis , but can tube the rear end part of the chassis as a truggy only past the rear pumpkin , your front inner most part of your tires cannot extend past the wides part of the cab, front bumper must be wider than the chassis. Those are just some of the rules I read that his truck would not qualify for class 1 or 2 which would only leave him capable to run in class 3.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:33 AM   #76
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Very nice rig!

The man himself! Thanks patrick, i guess the only way to find out is to go to one. The scale comp scene in my area is the 801 ultra 4 racing with nazt so that doesn't apply. But that's a lot of fun in itself. There might be another club that does scale comps, not sure. Oh and it doesn't meet "the inside of the front tires cannot extend outside of the width of the cab at the doors" class 2 rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003EDGE View Post
Sick doesn't quite do it for this rig! Having sat in the real thing...it brings back happy thoughts!
That's awesome! Thank's, hopefully it does the 1:1 justice when it's finished. I didn't get to sit in it, so i drooled all over it instead!

Quote:
Mind you I am not trying to step on anybodies toes and please correct me if i am wrong. Also I love this rig he built and I'm sure it will be a very capable rig. According to the rules for class 2 that I've read you have to use a rail chassis , but can tube the rear end part of the chassis as a truggy only past the rear pumpkin , your front inner most part of your tires cannot extend past the wides part of the cab, front bumper must be wider than the chassis. Those are just some of the rules I read that his truck would not qualify for class 1 or 2 which would only leave him capable to run in class 3.
This guys on it! You're correct as far as i can tell, i didn't even bother or notice to see what other rules it didn't pass once i saw the inside tires one so thanks.

I dunno, maybe i am crazy but i just don't see my rig putting up a fight against another c3 rig like this or even being grouped in the same "scale class" category (not pointing my finger at this particular guy, i just see many like it so i used it as an example).

Build on
Old 08-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk379 View Post
I dunno, maybe i am crazy but i just don't see my rig putting up a fight against another c3 rig like this or even being grouped in the same "scale class" category (not pointing my finger at this particular guy, i just see many like it so i used it as an example).
You would be surprised how far your rig can go against others. 90% of it will always come down to the driver and how well you know your rig.
Plus as long as your smiling who cares!
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #78
Rock Crawler

Dirk379 , check out this site. I think they run near you with ultra 4 rigs.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/384342...00000105508077
Old 08-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #79
Sinking with the ship

Regardless of what class it may fit, this rig is awesome!
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
You would be surprised how far your rig can go against others. 90% of it will always come down to the driver and how well you know your rig.
Plus as long as your smiling who cares!
Yep exactly. Example, these tires obviously aren't the best, but they sure look good!

Quote:
Dirk379 , check out this site. I think they run near you with ultra 4 rigs.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/384342...00000105508077
No idea what that's about, but it looks fun, not near me tho. I'm in utah. I've got plenty of r/c action out here no worries thanks tho .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Regardless of what class it may fit, this rig is awesome!
I agree. Thanks mike , i saw your blue yota in those scale comp pics on the table, did you wheel that thing? I miss your elaborate builds!

I've made some more progress.

Paint is the obvious, and it's still a little fresh. I swear blue paint takes 4x as long to dry as normal paint.

I got quite a bit of work done. I made some fuel lines for the fuel cell. I wanted to use the fuel pumps that it comes with but i couldn't really figure out a way to make it not look stupid. Also in this picture you'll see the fan wires, and gps mount top middle roof. I need to get rid of or hide those hose ports on the radiator. I'll also add more scale bits to the rear cage. So empty:

It's starting to look like something in there:

Getting back to the person who wanted a hood off shot, here's a crappy one for now. rx will be on the firewall passenger side:

And until next time:

I'm getting closer to where i want it, thanks for looking.

Last edited by dirk379; 09-02-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Project Lovell Racing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winner! - *Giveaway* H.A.R.D. Racing Comm Lathe from Team Brood Racing EddieO General Crawlers 584 01-14-2016 07:17 PM
Winner - *Giveaway* H.A.R.D. Racing Comm Lathe from Team Brood Racing - Part 2 EddieO General Crawlers 365 07-08-2011 06:06 PM
JPH Racing Losi Project JPH Racing Team Losi Comp Crawler 22 06-25-2010 09:17 AM
scania stax concept racing team #97 racing truck only SEMIJOE Non Crawler RC's 96 10-12-2009 04:53 AM
Lovell Racing Ranger slugzracing Large Scale Rigs 76 04-26-2008 07:20 PM