Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Chevy Crewcab Dually Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #301
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
I was never into lighting until I had some spare LEDs laying around and wired them up. I'm a big fan now. The rig is looking great. Nice work!
Thank you Greg! That means a lot to me coming from you! It's still not done but it's getting there pretty quick now.
Hwheeler73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2014, 11:23 PM   #302
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwheeler73 View Post
I got a little work done in the last couple of days.

1st, I got the rear bumper on. I am going to drill out holes for reverse lights in it and put some sort of backer in the middle to mount the license plate.

2nd, I did figure a way to narrow this rear end! I've got everything sucked up as tight as possible. It is what it is now. The only option left to get them under there any more would be to do a 3 or 4 link setup but with as narrow as it is, I'm not sure how well that would work. I am still up in the air on the flairs. I posted pics of each side of the truck to show how much they really do cover.

What bumper is that you use on the rear. And all so what chassis did you use?
chevyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:42 PM   #303
Quarry Creeper

Default Chevy Crewcab Dually Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyhi View Post
What bumper is that you use on the rear. And all so what chassis did you use?
Here's the bumper. https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDeta...ode=RC4Z-S0579
I also used the RC4WD King Kong shackles on it.

Here's the chassis. http://gcmracing.ca/viewitem.php?productid=47
If you decide to order it from them, you'll want add a note that you need the extended rails if you're going to use it for a build like mine. This truck is very long!

Last edited by Hwheeler73; 05-29-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:12 AM   #304
Pebble Pounder

Thanks I just had Hoosier daddy build me a crewcab. Also nice front bumper you made .
chevyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:32 AM   #305
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyhi View Post
Thanks I just had Hoosier daddy build me a crewcab. Also nice front bumper you made .
Very cool! He does awesome work! There are other ways to go on a chassis if you're trying to save some money. If you've got an SCX chassis sitting around already, check out this guy, http://thescaleshop.webs.com/chassis.htm He's making custom chassis rails! Keep in mind if you go this route, you'll want the rear of your rails flat because of your bed, meaning no shock mounts.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:13 AM   #306
Rock Crawler

Location: In West Monroe,LA...yes,where Duck Dynasty is filmed
Default Re: Chevy Crewcab Dually Build

I've been following this build from day 1. In my opinion it is THE best build on this forum. I should also note that I'm a little biased(I was involved a little with this truck). I still think it's amazing that you do this from your sleeper. That just goes to show you don't need a giant shop to build in. Even if you live in an apt with 14 roommates,it CAN be done. Everyone that has been putting off a build due to limited space needs to get off their ass and follow Hwheeler's example of a top notch build. Mr Hwheeler's, you have done an outstanding job ........ I'm jealous, can I have the truck back?.... Just kidding, LMAOj
krazykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #307
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykrawler View Post
I've been following this build from day 1. In my opinion it is THE best build on this forum. I should also note that I'm a little biased(I was involved a little with this truck). I still think it's amazing that you do this from your sleeper. That just goes to show you don't need a giant shop to build in. Even if you live in an apt with 14 roommates,it CAN be done. Everyone that has been putting off a build due to limited space needs to get off their ass and follow Hwheeler's example of a top notch build. Mr Hwheeler's, you have done an outstanding job ........ I'm jealous, can I have the truck back?.... Just kidding, LMAOj

In all seriousness, thank you! The 3 people here in the forum that I value the opinion of most are you, because you built the body, fr8cture because I bought it from him, and bulldog because his Ford dually inspired me to do something I'd never thought possible. All three of you are, in my mind, great people that have supported this build from the beginning and I thank you all for that! It is true that I work in a very small space! If anyone is interested in seeing just how small it is, google Kenworth T700 Sleeper! Lol! A lot of work was done on my bed. Believe me when I say that there were many times that I wished for a little more room! But the honest truth is that there was obviously enough. My dad got me into models at a very young age, and then into RC's around 13. I outgrew the models, well maybe not, LOL! As for RC's, I've been in and out of them ever sense. They are a great hobby for a truck driver! My dad was one of those people that lived the mindset of, poor people have poor ways. To me, that always translated into, use your imagination in whatever you try to accomplish. It did take a lot of imagination to build this truck! But I would never have been able to do it if not for the great threads that are here on RcCrawler! This forum is a huge collection of knowledge built from trial and error by a lot of really great people! So I say to anyone out there lurking in the background, afraid to take a chance and build something that's nothing more than an imaginative thought, get off your butt and get it started! Ask questions! God knows I pestered the crap out of a few people along the way! LOL! But we're all here because of a shared interest and most of us actually like to help the new guy out if we can!

This build is not complete yet! There are still some things that I haven't gotten done yet, so don't stop keeping up on it and making your comments! Believe it or not, every comment that has been made on my thread has been read and taken into consideration during the build process! You all matter to me! Thank you all for your support and help along the way!

krazykrawler, uhhh, no! You cannot have it back now!!! LMAO!

Sent from the great unknown.

Last edited by Hwheeler73; 05-30-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #308
Rock Crawler

Location: In West Monroe,LA...yes,where Duck Dynasty is filmed

Very well said,and dang it.Its a beautiful truck.I hope you can Access my photobucket to see ALL the body pics.And like you,Bulldog inspired me to build a Tundra truggy a while back.He built his from styrene rod but I built mine from brake line tubing.I recently had to sell it to Scottanthony to pay a speeding ticket, but Tundra truggy version 2.0 is on the workbench now.Will have a build thread up soon.Keep up the good work on the dually and keep your wheels rolling.We all depend on truck drivers
krazykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #309
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykrawler View Post
Everyone that has been putting off a build due to limited space needs to get off their ass and follow Hwheeler's example of a top notch build. LMAOj
I see how it is! Maybe some of us just aren't as "equipped" or skilled as others like me for example that's been putting off my builds. Maybe i'll show you a lesson and work on them this weekend!
DieselRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #310
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRC View Post
I see how it is! Maybe some of us just aren't as "equipped" or skilled as others like me for example that's been putting off my builds. Maybe i'll show you a lesson and work on them this weekend!

OK Diesel! Bring it! Lol! Show us what you've got! :-)

Sent from the great unknown.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:46 PM   #311
I wanna be Dave

Glad you value my opinion. Looks great btw, also new avatar is good.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:44 PM   #312
I wanna be Dave

I absolutely love the license plate lights!
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:53 PM   #313
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
I absolutely love the license plate lights!
Thanks! That took some trial and error! LOL! I'm really happy with it! I like figuring out things that no one else has done yet! I got the angle off a little but the hole is there now so it'll do.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:33 AM   #314
I wanna be Dave

One of the best things in your post a bit back was acknowledging how much talent is on the forum. That is an understatement! I read the forums each night and I've been at this for years. I'm still amazed by what I find and what I see on the boards. Just when you think you've seen it all, you poke into a little corner or click a link and find something/someone more amazing. You don't have to have killer builds or even any builds at all to be talented. Look into all the sections of the forum and you'll find out what I'm talking about. Just amazing skills floating around on here.

That's why I love RCC.

And krazykrawler, I almost forgot about that build! I was stuck in an apartment waiting for my house to be built and sat at a folding table with scissors and harbor freight $9 "dremel!" Just like Nike tells you...just do it.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:56 AM   #315
Quarry Creeper

. My new company logo!
Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #316
I wanna be Dave

Tell the company president the flagship truck has six wheels!

Nice play on words though. I'm sure you could find a more aggressive font though. Depending on who is doing your decal work, you should be able to look up some wild designs on dafont.com Just be prepared to spend HOURS upon HOURS trying to narrow it down. Greg
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #317
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Tell the company president the flagship truck has six wheels!

Nice play on words though. I'm sure you could find a more aggressive font though. Depending on who is doing your decal work, you should be able to look up some wild designs on dafont.com Just be prepared to spend HOURS upon HOURS trying to narrow it down. Greg

Lol! You and your dang technicalities! Yah, I wasn't super happy with the plain, boring font either but you have to start somewhere.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #318
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwheeler73 View Post
I've been waiting on a custom visor with led maker lights in it from CaptainScale. I can't get him to answer my PM's so I think he lost interest in doing it for me. That's what I was waiting on before I painted. Maybe I'll give it a try myself at some point?

Not sure if you have heard anything from Captain since, but I was in contact with him about 2 months ago. In need of a headache rack, crew cab, drop bed, ect.
He said he currently had a similar f350 crew cab dually build he had to finish, then (I am assuming your) Clodbuster sun visor, and then he could work on stuff for me...
He hasn't returned any of my emails since then, but I think its still on his to-do list.

In the meantime I've built almost everything I would have had captain make. Luckily I already had a set of his dually fenders.

Just read through the entire build thread...
Awesome dually build! Even without the sun visor
If you wanted a simple clod visor Gear Head on RPP sells a custom aluminum one, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Last edited by scalecrawler18; 06-14-2014 at 12:21 PM.
scalecrawler18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #319
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalecrawler18 View Post
Not sure if you have heard anything from Captain since, but I was in contact with him about 2 months ago. In need of a headache rack, crew cab, drop bed, ect. He said he currently had a similar f350 crew cab dually build he had to finish, then (I am assuming your) Clodbuster sun visor, and then he could work on stuff for me... He hasn't returned any of my emails since then, but I think its still on his to-do list. In the meantime I've built almost everything I would have had captain make. Luckily I already had a set of his dually fenders. Just read through the entire build thread... Awesome dually build! Even without the sun visor If you wanted a simple clod visor Gear Head on RPP sells a custom aluminum one, but I'm sure you already knew that.
Thanks you for the info. I did receive a message from him on the 8th of this month. I didn't get any kind of ETA but he did say that he was going to start it.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #320
Quarry Creeper

To all of you that have faithfully followed this build.... I have some bad news. Yesterday morning, I narrowly avoided a major collision out on the road. That's the good news. The bad news has had me sick to my stomach ever sense. When I slammed on the brakes and turned away from the collision, the truck was thrown off of my bed and onto the floor. That caused enough damage by itself, but then one of my duffle bags fell off of the top bunk and guess where it landed. The cab was completely destroyed. It is in 5 pieces now. The bed held up surprisingly well! Some scratches and 1 crack, so that's fixable. The impact of the bag on top of the truck actually bent all 4 leaf springs! So although, thankfully, I don't have to start completely over, I am going to have to build a new cab from scratch. It'll take some time to get it back to where it was 2 days ago. :-(

I would like to take a moment and beg every one that reads this, please watch what you do around big trucks! If I had not been focused completely on the road and had the experience that I do, the young lady that caused the situation would most definitely not be alive today! I'm not bragging in any way shape or form! I was furious that she would put herself and others in danger due to her lack of attention! She honestly didn't see me until it was too late for her to do anything to avoid me! I did stop, mostly because I was shaking so bad that I had to, but also to check on her. Believe it or not, she was insistent that it was my fault that she was in the way! Do you all know that the law says that you must yield to the right of way when entering an interstate? If a big truck gets out of your way when you are trying to get on the interstate, it's a curtsey, not a requirement. We all try to let you on, and stay out of your way, but sometimes we just can't do it.

I'm sorry for the rant. I'm very glad that we all walked away and there wasn't anyone hurt! But like I said, I'm seriously sick to my stomach over the waisted hours that went into this build that I have to do all over again, and more so sense I bought the body already done.

Chevy Crewcab Dually Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Banks Power F350 Crewcab Dually Bulldog 1.9 Scale Rigs 37 06-19-2014 12:21 PM
Bud Hauler F350 Dually Crewcab Bulldog 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 02-19-2013 06:16 PM
09 F350 crewcab dually badBKO 2.2 Scale Rigs 22 11-07-2011 07:52 PM
Showroom stock 90's ford F350 dually crewcab longbox! cloddyman 1.9 Scale Rigs 17 05-25-2011 08:48 PM
F550 CrewCab dually W/ Gooseneck CUSTOMHILUX 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 10-07-2009 06:05 PM