Notices

Thread: Sp3cia1K's GCM Skeleton J2 on Narrow AR60s- A dual purpose build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 04:56 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Sp3cia1K's GCM Skeleton J2 on Narrow AR60s- A dual purpose build

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
I just finished a '66 F100 Porline SCT body with a similar idea. The start of yours with the copper, black and silver really looks great when scratched.
Sweet! I wasn't sure how it would turn out with some use.

Next time around I would use less silver for the undercoat, I also wanted to make sure there was enough for the trims and steps but should turn out good.

What grit sand paper did you end up using to cut it back?
Sp3cia1-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2015, 05:06 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadden View Post
You would happen to know the width of those xr modded ones would you..? Or how much was cut out of them? I know the answer is somewhere On The Internet but I tried and failed to find it...

Thank you in advance!!

-Hadden
Xr width requires 19mm removed in total from a standard ar60 housing. I had 9.5mm removed from the outsides on the mounts, so geometry wise it is the same, hence how I can mount the dlux servo truss.

For the rear, you can chuck on an xr10 lockout on standard width ar60 and it will bring it down to match the front perfectly!

My Ibex u4 thread has the dimensions of a bunch of different axle setups if you want to compare. That thread is in desperate need of an update too..

Sp3cia1-K's Goat Built Ibex Build
Old 03-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #63
Pebble Pounder

The paint is looking good! I might put my silver on the outside PS, then use TS to get a chipping effect on the "paint" layer. It might just peel right off though. What is the width of the wheel wells? I'm going to buy tires to fit exactly and have not ordered another '56 body yet.
Loehdingc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #64
Pebble Pounder

The paint is looking good! I might put my silver on the outside PS, then use TS to get a chipping effect on the "paint" layer. It might just peel right off though. What is the width of the wheel wells? I'm going to buy tires to fit exactly and have not ordered another '56 body yet.
Loehdingc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #65
Quarry Creeper

I trimmed the couple mm flare trim off as even with the tiny wheels it would still foul on the body, depending on my wheel coverage I may install some wiper blade flares on it as well.

On a side note, thanks NATEDOG for the 13 likes!
Old 03-26-2015, 04:38 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

I am actually a smurf and painted the body light tan.....

Didn't think painting a body with a big hole in the bed would be so annoying with the overspray haha
Old 03-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #67
Quarry Creeper

It turned out rather nice I think

Glad I decided to do the 'surface rust' for the trim pieces rather being straight silver, can't see it too much in the pics but looks great in person

Just slapped the body on..

Next thing is to adjust the rear suspension so I have clearance for the bed, pretty simple stuff though
Old 03-30-2015, 08:18 AM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Sorry for not updating straight away but I got the body mounted and mostly finished off. A bit more sanding to do before the decals go on.

Had to do a couple suspension mods to mount it up as the bed is flush with the frame, here is how it currently sits.

I managed to have a couple different outings on the weekend with it Saturday at Cedar Creek Falls and Sunday a social in Toohey Forrest.

I very nearly didn't get a single photo of the rig in its new form as I almost lost it off a waterfall, including myself..
I slipped and knocked it into some rapids near the falls, it got pushed 3ft under before being sucked to the next hole, 4ft deep, then another..
Each time I only saw it for a split second before going to the next..
I just managed to grab the body and chassis separately at the top of a 15m waterfall before it went over.. So close to losing it all.

Anyway, here are some running shots.

So my run lasted for another 1.5 hours after the rapids incident until something spazed out.
I let it all dry out over night figuring it would be right on Sunday, well when I drove forwards the steering went full lock one way, but was fine in reverse..

So I did the whole 2-3 hour run in reverse

Last edited by Sp3cia1-K; 03-30-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:20 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

I realised I haven't updated this build in a while, no big changes just a couple minor ones.

Mainly being yesterday I picked up some like new rc4wd 4.19 baja claws and fitted CI foams inside - 1.9 - 4.25 dual stage with soft outers for the rear and 1.55 dual stage soft outter in the front.

I went with the 1.55 closed inner up front because:
a.) I don't have anymore 1.9 - 4.25's
b.) 4.25s fill 4.19 tires out quite a bit, the growlers with 4.25s are really quite hard

These new tires seem to have a bit more give with the full 4.25 foams so I may pick up another set in soft in the future.

And an update on the F-truck side of things, I had a couple farm truck inpsired scale items arrive today in the post: A chainsaw, a welder complete with cables and my favourite, a whipper snipper!

Old 09-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #70
Quarry Creeper

So it turns out I haven't updated this thread in nearly 5 months...

For the F100 I got some new SDI -3 pin hub wagon wheels to suck the track width in mixed with some nice and narrow Fun Country 2 tires and it is a superb combination. Zero tire poke on this narrow body!

I also built a new front bar from steel square stock. It's a chunky little number but I love it, makes driving that little bit more interesting..

I have also made a couple changes to the JK configuration but nothing major, just painting of the Boom Racing wheels to black to look more along the lines of the KMC Rockstars, I eventually hope to get a set of VP Rockstar 2.2s with some stretched 1.9s but that's for another day.. I'll try to find some more recent photos of the JK soon to update that side of the story.

Oh and I am slowly picking away at a Blackfoot body for this too for a mud bogger style build..
Old 09-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

The little ol' truck that could next to the next to a big ol' ascended.. fair bit of size difference between them.

Found a couple more trail pics..

When I saw this '55 I just had to get a photo of the two together. It was pretty cool to see the owner taking a bunch of photos of the little version too

Old 09-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Got out on the weekend again, this time in the form of the JK.

I also trimmed the guards last week into flat fender flares, still undecided if I will either reinforce them with either some styrene sheet underneath or rod along the edge or leave them as they are..

Thoughts on if the guards should be painted black? I'm wanting to do the grill black and still have some black poison spyder decals for the doors once I comp cut the doors..
Old 09-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

I would leave the flares how they are and paint them the grill and the half doors flat black. No decals on the doors JMO.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:38 AM   #74

Hallo. Love tour skeleton! I have just build one my self and I would love to know what figure it is your using ? The fit I pretty spot on
CrawlHead is offline   Reply With Quote

Sp3cia1K's GCM Skeleton J2 on Narrow AR60s- A dual purpose build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rckcrwlr is letting the Skeleton out of the Closet with the help of GCM Rckcrwlr 1.9 Scale Rigs 72 08-13-2014 11:37 AM
dual purpose motor tim the toolman Vaterra Twin Hammers 6 04-21-2013 04:21 PM
Dual purpose rig? TobyJ Newbie General 7 11-20-2008 01:32 PM