Notices

Thread: BadWagon | C2 Hilux Truggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: BadWagon | C2 Hilux Truggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
I'm gonna take just a little bit off the bottom, and that'll be it.

Thanks for the info brother
I agree just shave off some of his butt til his arm rests on the window sill. Did the cage show up yet?
rcwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #82
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwolf View Post
I agree just shave off some of his butt til his arm rests on the window sill. Did the cage show up yet?

That's the plan. He doesn't have much butt left at this point. lol

The cage did show up. Because of my interior it doesn't fit snug to the cab, and there was a bit of miscommunication, so it's not exactly the style I was looking for. The welds are nice as is the cage, but I'm gonna modify it to fit the cab.

I borrowed a cheap wire feed welder from a buddy and will jump into the cage as soon as I can.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

Ok, here's the moment you've all been waiting for the cage....

Houston, we have a problem... The cage and the cab/interior don't want to play nicely with each other. Big gap between the main hoop and the cab with the interior in. With the interior out, the cab will line up, but the frame sticks way out the front.

I wasn't pleased with how the cage fit, especially in the rear. Even with two spacers on the top of the shock bolts, the shock on the passenger's side was making contact with the lower frame of the cage. It also had the shock all out of wack, and the suspension binded...

There was a mix up with the style of cage I wanted... Miscommunication, it happens oh well. It is what it is, and it sat on my bench for a week.

If there hadn't been the rear shock issue, I would have figured out a work around but instead this happened....

Whoops...

Perfect

So my nephew and I drank a bunch of beers, fired up the tools and crappy welder and had at it.

First item was to pinch the rear (hee hee). Then we tacked the sliders to the mounting plates, bending where we needed them. The rear down bars were tweaked to bring the spare tire down lower.

I don't have many pics of these changes... Mostly because we were drinking and other people showed up to heckle, I mean support us. But here's how it ended up.

I did a horrible job welding this cage back together. No joke. But it's holding and the welds do have full penetration. I had the big lower hoop weld fail on me while working on the pinched rear, but it's all good now. Lol.

Hooray for cheap Harbor Freight welders!!

Time for some paint!

Double D plates painted black, and the rear upper link plates clearanced and painted.

The cage painted.

Now let's see what it looks like all together...

Next up, time to mount the body...

So after failing quite a few times with various ways to mount the body here's what I came up with.

Two earth magnets under the hood.

A piece of steel between the shock plates.

What do you mean I should have let the paint cure? LOL I'll respay it later.

I also got the trans cover and rear cab section worked out.

And lastly, how the rest of the rig looks all mounted up.

So it's kinda janky, but not all bad. I'll get the cab back mounted and the gaps filled, then move on to the other details on the cab.

At least there's some progress.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Action shots asap or you're lying.
SStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

I haven't even begun wiring this rig. That'll come after I have the cab done, or I'll never get it all finished. Lol
Old 03-06-2016, 06:06 PM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Waiting on rock rash...
SStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #87
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStone View Post
Waiting on rock rash...

LOL, it'll get beat up soon enough.

I did get a little more done on the cab. I got the back MEK'd on, and the n00b goop applied to the rear seams. I don't understand why they couldn't make the cab back a better fit, but hey, at least I didn't have to build it from scratch!

I also got the rear cross brace in for the interior. It's a little long so it can flex and clear the trans. It fits like a glove.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #88
Rock Crawler

Default BadWagon | C2 Hilux Truggy

Ok small update. I've been spending time getting the details knocked out on the body. Little things here and there cleaning up stuff.

I've cut in the lines for the hood. I didn't want to make a line across the joint for the eyelids, so I went through them.

I got all of the holes in the body done, except for the original ones for the mirrors. The goop is still soft.

The door lines and little vent(ish) by the door are done. Not great, but they'll do.

Now that I have the body mounting finalized I can clean up the back.

And then I decided to go ahead and cut up one of n00bs' radiator supports. This will get more attention, but at least it's the right length.

More to come soon, though it's getting close to race season, so I've gotta get the wagon race ready. Time is gonna be at a premium.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

I've been busy, but I've made some progress.

The wagon is all buttoned up and ready for this weekend. New purdy street pulley is installed and a bunch of other stuff is done. Yay!

With that outta the way, I've had some time to work on the truggy. Sorry for the messy workbench pics.

I received my VP light bar. With the case and mounts it's wider than 4" total. Which was bad for me, as the plate for the bar is 4".

So I made a janky mount for it and mocked it up. I haven't even painted the mount yet, and I just threw bolts in. I'll use scale bolts for the final install.

Meh, it works so it'll stay.

Then I got work on trimming the fenders... Because imTHATguy said I had too, and he was right.

Normal ride height

Compressed

There is still some minor rubbing at full compression. Nothing a little more sanding won't fix.

Then I moved on to the radiator support. I'll finish it next. Won't take long.

Stupid flex shot

I raised the nose of the cab up 1/4 inch to make room for the radiator support. The cab actually sits a little nicer this way.

Here's a couple more pics of the clearance compressed and normal ride height.

And the rub...

Hurray for progress!
Old 03-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #90
Rock Crawler

Ok so here's an update, not a huge one but more details getting crossed off the punch list.

First up is the windows... Gotta have them rolled down right?

Taped off the windows and made a stencil of the shape.

Traced it on the windows

Chop chop...

Cleaned them up and installed. I rolled them down to different heights, thought it might look more scale, and I'm not OCD.

Not bad, I'm digging it.

Next was the winch. I was going to run a servo winch, but after mocking up the electronics, I don't have room between the frame and cab sides so I'm using the DoubleD servo plate for the bulk of my electronics.

After some research I decided to upgrade my 3racing winch with the MadDog RC Kit and HeyOk 3s controller with all the options. The controller will be here in a week or so.

My original plan was to also mount the MadDog single LEDs on the winch but the stinger was in the way. I ordered a RC4WD stubby bumper, but that bar was also in the way and using spacers to raise the lights above it looked dumb. So they'll find another home shortly.

Ok back to the winch, time to upgrade...

Oops....

Parts

Chino shim installed

Put this back together and installed the new line, fairlead with scale bolts, stopper, hook and decals. (Sorry forgot to take pics here)

Next was the bumper. I like the cheap stinger best, so off to the drill press as the holes are for a different winch.

I love my drill press

Winch mounted. I had to use scale bolts to attach the winch plate to the bumper because they were the only bolts I had in that size long enough. I used blue locktite and torqued them enough to be snug without stripping them. Time will tell if they hold.

I think the winch looks great with this kit installed. Hopefully it'll work well too.

Now it's time to pop it on the chassis.

BAM!

So I noticed the truggy was sitting with a raked stance, and had very limited travel in the front. The frame was making contact with the steering stabilizer as well.

See how the rear tire is off the ground?

So I took advantage of the DoubleD droop hoops (shock plates) and moved the shocks down to even out the ride height. Adjusted the preload a bit and bam, level stance and nice travel, but not too much.

I'm about ready to paint the cab, but it's wet and humid here so I'll wait on the weather to get better. We also have an amazing amount of pollen falling right now, and I have no doubt it would end up in my paint.

So I'm going to finish up the interior then start on the electronics as soon as I pick up a few connectors.

Here's how she sits at the moment. Getting closer.

Cheers

Old 03-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

Two updates in one day?!?! You betcha. I spent the some time in the shop. My nephew came over late in the day and helped me out huge. Ok, so here we go....

So I needed a steering column for the interior, so I made a box outta styrene and started sanding, shaping it into this...

With the steering wheel... Winning.

The length is right.

But ya can't leave it like that, all bare. So I used my drill press to turn down some styrene rods.

Drilled holes and stuck them in.

That'll do nicely. I'm pretty stoked. Just need to make the ignition area for the tiny key I made.

The n00b inner fenders weren't gonna work, or would have taken a bunch of time to make fit the way I wanted them to. The pinched cab was just a crazy angle and I wanted to mount the fender liners to the chassis not the cab.

So, I had a few of these minion buckets laying around. Hmmmmmm

Yay, minions! I'd already destroyed one trying to eyeball the fender liners. My nephew decided he'd tackle the job. So he made a template.

Then he traced it out on a fresh bucket. Cut it out and we had this.

Fits like a glove.

So we made a guide line and traced the cut on paper. Then flipped it and cut out the other side.

A little trimming and tweaking and they are ready for plastidip.

After waiting the appropriate 20 minutes (cure time is supposed to be 4 hours, but nah) we pulled them down and installed them. I'll most likely respray these later, but we wanted to see how they looked.

Tasty.

They are nice and tight against the cab and look perfect (IMO). I couldn't be happier. I love how fender liners really make such a huge difference on a build. Just a must have piece of the puzzle.

So I found a great place for the MadDog single light pods. Rock lights for the rear. They don't stick out, but they are really functional and when you do see them, they fit right in.

Here's some shots of the interior with the bits laid in there.

I still have a few more interior items to finish, a cooler for the passenger side floor, the door panels and a couple little things, but it's really getting close to paint.

Cheers!
Old 03-28-2016, 09:44 PM   #92
Rock Crawler

It's all about the little things...

So I made this

To go on this

Which I cut down to go here.

Dumb, but it made me smile so I thought I'd share.

Still needs a little filler, sanding and paint.

Cheers
Old 03-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Interior is looking good. That cooler fits that spot perfectly. I used a toolbox in my interior to cover the spur gear. But I like yours for just the detail.
rerebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #94
~THE SCALE SHOP~

love the details your putting in.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

This has been a really fun build to watch come together. Great work so far.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:35 PM   #96
Rock Crawler

Default BadWagon | C2 Hilux Truggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerebuilder View Post
Interior is looking good. That cooler fits that spot perfectly. I used a toolbox in my interior to cover the spur gear. But I like yours for just the detail.

I almost made a toolbox! LOL but since I'm more than likely gonna put one behind the cab, I went for frosty beverages inside, and in easy reach.

My spur cover sticks out the back, so I had to clearance the cab back to accommodate it. The cover will get shaved, and painted to match the cab. Hopefully it won't stick out like a sore thumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
love the details your putting in.

Thanks brother! Just trying to keep up with all the great builds on here, but give it my own twist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
This has been a really fun build to watch come together. Great work so far.

Hey thanks man! I wasn't sure anybody was watching. Really appreciate you chiming in. Hopefully I'll be able to finish this bad boy up soon.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #97
RCC Addict

Very nice work! Just read the whole thing. I recently picked up Noobs rad core support and fenders since my hilux truggy is due for a new body/overhaul.

I was considering an interior to get rid of the tinted/blacked out glass. Yours came out great and may have swayed me to go that route.

I have a similar figure where it's legs don't move, so did you literally just cut him in half and trim his torso until he "sat" correctly?

Keep it up =)
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #98
Quarry Creeper

How is the build going? I just came across this one.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Johan_Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #99
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan_Eriksson View Post
How is the build going? I just came across this one.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Hey man, sorry I missed this reply. It's finally back as a priority, see the update below!

Update time!! Yes I'm still working on this rig, though I did have to take some time off for my other hobby, dragracing.

That season is coming to a close and so I can finally start focus on my truggy again.

To be honest, I've been working on it, but I had hit a snag regarding the electronics. I just couldn't come up with a good solution for mounting them.

I had planned on putting the majority of the electronics on trays on the sliders, but it seems the RC4WD cab is narrower than the Tamiya one, so I didn't have enough room there. I also didn't have enough clearance to mount the battery behind the fender liners, or on the sliders.

I toyed with many ideas. Making a box in the cage and hiding everything in it. But the idea of all of those wires... ugh... no. Then I thought I'd just hide the ESC and bec in a drum in the back...

Maybe, but again, wires... plus why in the world would I have a 55 gallon drum on the back of my truggy?? So that idea was scrapped.

So many hours and lots of ideas which didn't work, I came up with this...

The battery, BEC and RX are mounted on the servo winch plate (I'm just gonna use the scale winch that I modded for now) and the ESC is on a little mount I made. Now this seems all well and good, but it came with a price...

Yep... the ESC had to protrude into the interior. If you remember I had made a little cooler to go in that spot anyway, so I figured a bit of dremel love and I'd be good to go.

Nope, that cooler wasn't gonna work. So last night I made a new one. It's not 100% complete, still needs handles and latches, but it fits.

It's kind of a Yeti knock off. But I think it looks alright and hopefully the blemishes on it won't stand out too much.

Here's a few interior shots with the driver and other bits placed in so I could get an idea. (And now you can too!) it had been so long since I'd seen it all together, I needed the reminder.

I've also addressed a few other items, such as stance. The truggy was sitting too high before, and I like a low COG, especially with a hard body.

So after talking with my boy TODBLDZ I swapped out the springs on the icon shocks for a shorter single spring, and taken most of the oil out. This basically made the suspension a droop set up.

So far just running about in the yard it's working well. I love the ride height.

Woohoo progress!! There's still a lot to be done, but at least it's moving forward again (and even under its own power). I'm hoping to have the modeling completed on the interior in the next week or so, and then I'll move on to wrapping up the body, paint and electronics.

Cheers!!!
Old 09-29-2016, 06:13 AM   #100
Rock Crawler

Gotta love it when you overcome a hurdle and pic up momentum on a project. I made a quick sketch yesterday to use as a rough guide for my door panels.

Which I made into a rough template cutout on thin styrene.

Yes it's highly technical.

Then I cut out the panels.

Pretty simple, and a quick test to see it they are close to the right size.

I think that'll do, so next was to shape the panels a bit to add some depth.

Quick test fit again.

Other side

Oh that's better.

Ok next up we need some details. So I grabbed the window cranks out of an Axial kit and got cracking on the levers.

The levers are made out of three different sizes of styrene rectangle tube. The largest size is the surround, the middle size is the long part of the lever with the end cut off. The smallest size is the base of the lever.

I am very pleased with who these turned out. I'll add backing once they are painted but I want to leave them open for now so that I can paint them without puddling it and ruining the look.

I don't really trust their strength as they sit, so they'll need a support behind them. Plus it should help them look finished.

BadWagon | C2 Hilux Truggy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hilux Scaler Towing Hilux Truggy (douggy truggy) by heinie_21 heinie_21 Videos! 10 02-18-2013 02:15 AM