Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1st gen Durango IFS TRUE SCALE (you're going to want to see this)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #281
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: 1st gen Durango IFS TRUE SCALE (you're going to want to see this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
this is looking flat out AMAZING.
i agree about making the skid one piece (less hardware required and less snag points) but seems you already have a handle on that.

swaybar setup looks nice but once you get on the rocks i doubt it will be needed? that said, i am REALLY looking forward to hearing how it does! maybe even some vid???

this is really great man, you should be very proud. and i agree no more raptors lol (and that's coming from an owner of a new F150!)
The rear end is substantially softer than the front because of the weight and different types of suspension. This makes the rear end move around a ton and the front doesn't really move at all unless you're going down a hill where all the weight is on the front end, if you watch the videos I put up a couple of posts back you can see what I'm talking about.
jonnywachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #282
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnywachter View Post
The rear end is substantially softer than the front because of the weight and different types of suspension. This makes the rear end move around a ton and the front doesn't really move at all unless you're going down a hill where all the weight is on the front end

That actually sounds pretty spot on for what it was like to wheel a 1:1 pickup truck with front IFS and swaybar, and rear solid axle. The front has much more weight than the rear, and does not articulate much, while the rear flexes readily.

rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #283
I wanna be Dave

both of you speak truth. i just watched the vid and although the terrain was a bit loose and truck seemed to push more out of the way instead of going over it, i see what you mean.
as for 1:1 yes the rear leafs flex ok (not as well as link/coilover) and most of the front flex is limited by 1:1 trucks having a swaybar there. I've been looking at custom swaybar quick-disconnects for my F-150 for trailwork… tempting!

anyway,
i would LOVE to see how this rig of yours does on some terrain like we have out here at the Proline event. soft rolling boulders really make the suspension cycle when you take it slow.
and now that you have the front IFS accurate, doesn't the rear of your 1:1 have leafs? heheh… phase 2?

*nice work with the 1:1 Durango in the background too!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #284
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
both of you speak truth. i just watched the vid and although the terrain was a bit loose and truck seemed to push more out of the way instead of going over it, i see what you mean.
as for 1:1 yes the rear leafs flex ok (not as well as link/coilover) and most of the front flex is limited by 1:1 trucks having a swaybar there. I've been looking at custom swaybar quick-disconnects for my F-150 for trailwork… tempting!

anyway,
i would LOVE to see how this rig of yours does on some terrain like we have out here at the Proline event. soft rolling boulders really make the suspension cycle when you take it slow.
and now that you have the front IFS accurate, doesn't the rear of your 1:1 have leafs? heheh… phase 2?

*nice work with the 1:1 Durango in the background too!
Yes, this is true, An IFS vehicle will not flex that much in the front but everyone wanted to see the front suspension move more, so I was trying to make it do that.

The 1:1 truck does have leafs in the rear, but it also has a torsion front end so the scale factor is a little off. I'm trying to go for what I would like to do to my 1:1, a mid travel fun capable truck. (it would probably have a Deaver type setup instead of the 4-link tho)
Old 05-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #285
I wanna be Dave

Another option for more flex might be to hunt down some more springs with softer spring rates. I dont know which ones you're running but it should be one of these I think https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?...ng+Shocks+Asst
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #286
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yes, this is true, An IFS vehicle will not flex that much in the front but everyone wanted to see the front suspension move more, so I was trying to make it do that.

The 1:1 truck does have leafs in the rear, but it also has a torsion front end so the scale factor is a little off. I'm trying to go for what I would like to do to my 1:1, a mid travel fun capable truck. (it would probably have a Deaver type setup instead of the 4-link tho)

A Dodge Durango (or any stock 4x4 for that matter) is not quite the ideal trail / rock crawler truck, so of course you are going to make your RC a little different, since you are clearly going for something fun and useable, not a shelf queen.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #287
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Another option for more flex might be to hunt down some more springs with softer spring rates. I dont know which ones you're running but it should be one of these I think https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?...ng+Shocks+Asst
I have the spring kit, the issues are that the front end requires a heavy spring to keep it up at ride height and the rear requires very little spring to keep it up.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #288
Pebble Pounder

Made it out to my first comp with the 801 crew. It was a ton of fun! I was a little skeptical whether or not I'd be able to do the whole course considering my truck is on the smaller tire side. I was able to get through almost everything and was very surprised! The sway bar in the rear really helped a lot too. The front end held up with absolutely no issues, although I was taking it easy because I wanted to be able to finish since it was my first time out.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #289
Rock Crawler

Competition tested! It's impressive that it held up, and completed the course. Well done, I bet it was a satisfying experience all around. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #290
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Competition tested! It's impressive that it held up, and completed the course. Well done, I bet it was a satisfying experience all around. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
It was very satisfying and FUN! I was actually pretty optimistic about how everything would hold up. The parts are plenty strong. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, ill start pushing it to see what will break now and whether or not it's warranted.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #291

agree with the hard body idea and think the durango would look awsome like that. you've deffently 1up everyone with this build
Exceed420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #292
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exceed420 View Post
agree with the hard body idea and think the durango would look awsome like that. you've deffently 1up everyone with this build
Thanks! I've got a second body that's brand new but I don't know if anyone has ever made a hard body from a Lexan body and how well it would come out...
Old 10-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #293
Quarry Creeper

What an insane about of creativity and effort. Great job!
xtreme4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #294
I wanna be Dave

Great pics. Love it!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #295
Pebble Pounder

Thought id share, I made my daily a replica of my R/C

Old 02-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #296
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 1st gen Durango scx10ii IFS TRUE SCALE (you're going to want to see this)

What are your thoughts on the element ifs kit?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
wcdfmt510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:04 PM   #297
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 1st gen Durango scx10ii IFS TRUE SCALE (you're going to want to see this)

Dude that’s sick!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #298
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcdfmt510 View Post
What are your thoughts on the element ifs kit?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
It doesn't look very scale but it will make the masses happy. Also, I could argue 90% of the design elements and function were directly ripped off my design.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:04 AM   #299
Quarry Creeper

Absolutely amazing! Great design work and scale-ism! Great inspiration too1
SAL45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:22 AM   #300
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It doesn't look very scale but it will make the masses happy. Also, I could argue 90% of the design elements and function were directly ripped off my design.
ha ha I read your whole thread and its great ... thanks for posting and although a bit late to the party I wanted to ask if you had help design the Enduro IFS set up since the second or third page. I see a lot of similarities between the two. Given yours is more scale oriented.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote

1st gen Durango IFS TRUE SCALE (you're going to want to see this) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IFS Durango from 1.9 section Joshs4x4toyz Chit Chat 97 03-11-2019 06:45 AM