Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1st gen Durango IFS TRUE SCALE (you're going to want to see this)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #241
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: 1st gen Durango IFS TRUE SCALE (you're going to want to see this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
What sort of ackerman and caster do you have designed into the steering at ride height?
The steering Ackermann is correct. The arm kick up is 5* and the caster is 8*. I roughly guessed this, from my experience racing 4wd offroad buggies, also researched full-size mid travel kits and those were the numbers I found common.
jonnywachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #242
RCC Addict

Haven't visited this in a while, all I can say is WOW! I hear ya on the locked diff situation. My Bomber has lockable diffs, (haven't put the servos in it to do so) unlocked it steers like a charm, no climbing anything remotely gnarly, sucks steering when locked, it just likes to plow/push. I had to learn how to drive it differently. Carpet was a bad first surface, whereas the tile floor is too forgiving. Concrete floor? Putty the front for a limited slip? What is the final intent for your build? Crawler or multi-purpose? Looking at the driveshaft clearance, could you put a sheet of teflon as a buffer for flex rubbing, even something like a straw over the shaft? This probably isn't how you want to go, however, in the days of the first VW powered long travel buggies (1:1), they would offset (angle) the motor/trans so they could run the same length axles on both sides running an 091 bus box. That concept gives you some space that way.... offset and/or angled. Wouldn't take much.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #243
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Haven't visited this in a while, all I can say is WOW! I hear ya on the locked diff situation. My Bomber has lockable diffs, (haven't put the servos in it to do so) unlocked it steers like a charm, no climbing anything remotely gnarly, sucks steering when locked, it just likes to plow/push. I had to learn how to drive it differently. Carpet was a bad first surface, whereas the tile floor is too forgiving. Concrete floor? Putty the front for a limited slip? What is the final intent for your build? Crawler or multi-purpose? Looking at the driveshaft clearance, could you put a sheet of teflon as a buffer for flex rubbing, even something like a straw over the shaft? This probably isn't how you want to go, however, in the days of the first VW powered long travel buggies (1:1), they would offset (angle) the motor/trans so they could run the same length axles on both sides running an 091 bus box. That concept gives you some space that way.... offset and/or angled. Wouldn't take much.
I was wondering where you have been! Everything you're saying about the locked diff is true, I wasn't too quick to judge because of the surface, so I was waiting until I could get it on dirt to know for sure. I was hoping to come up with a fluid-filled diff, similar to a 1/8th buggy were it would have give for turning but also not lose power to the wheel that has less traction. This is going to be a mild trail rig, so just slow trails and easy hills nothing extreme.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #244
Pebble Pounder

I got the body mounts all done this weekend. You can see in the front I had to make them really wide out to the front fenders because eventually ill have the hood opening. This body is just for testing purposes to, so its not that detailed, I have a second body that im going to put alot more detail into including light buckets and all. I also have a new set of spindles on their way because the current ones keep breaking. I ordered some mini slash gears and I think they will actually work for making the open diff design. The parts are going to be really tight though.

I also rebuilt my King shocks with some different parts and made a few mods to them to make them easier to build and they don't leak anymore they also feel a lot smoother, if anyone wants me to do a tutorial on this I can take pictures and explain my process more...

Old 04-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #245
I wanna be Dave

Definitely do the tutorial on the king shocks. I dont think anybody has figured out thos e shocks yet.

Starting to look like a slick pre-runner! Even though that wasnt your intentions.

The mini slash gears should hold up well for what you are doing with it.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #246
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
Definitely do the tutorial on the king shocks. I dont think anybody has figured out thos e shocks yet.

Starting to look like a slick pre-runner! Even though that wasnt your intentions.

The mini slash gears should hold up well for what you are doing with it.

Oh, Its was definitely my intention to have that prerunner vibe, even though this is a trail truck, I like to think it could do both in real life.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #247
Pebble Pounder

Just flexin..

Old 04-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #248
Pebble Pounder

Made a few more stickers to detail up this body more, door handles and badges and grille.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:25 PM   #249
Pebble Pounder

Got out for the first test drive and I couldn't be happier with how it preformed! The 3 months leading up to this point have been all worth it now. Took a few tumbles and surprisingly nothing broke considering a lot of the parts are still the very brittle weak original prototypes. Hope you guys enjoy.

]

If anyone could give me a tip on how to get youtube videos to show up, Ill post them here!
Old 04-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #250
I wanna be Dave

If you load the videos on youtube, right click the video window, copy and paste the embed code here.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #251
Pebble Pounder

Thanks! here you go!

Old 04-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #252
I wanna be Dave

Thats a post I would like. I have not wathed the footage yet, I'll get to it in a minute.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:28 AM   #253
Rock Crawler

It’s great to finally see this truck in action!

That’s some serious rock crawling you’re doing there! Are you sure you don’t want to keep the front diff locked, and put on some M/T tires? LoL

The suspension tuning looks good in the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #254
Rock Crawler

That's freakin awesome!
Looks like it runs the rocks fairly good, although it's dressed up for a Baja kinda run...
Suspension is working as you designed it.

Sweet ride over all!
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #255
I wanna be Dave

Awesome to see it working!
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #256
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
It’s great to finally see this truck in action!

That’s some serious rock crawling you’re doing there! Are you sure you don’t want to keep the front diff locked, and put on some M/T tires? LoL

The suspension tuning looks good in the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I'm going to leave the diffs locked, for now, it performs pretty well the way it is! I do want to get some different tires but I don't really like the look of anything that is close to the right size...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58_Willys View Post
That's freakin awesome!
Looks like it runs the rocks fairly good, although it's dressed up for a Baja kinda run...
Suspension is working as you designed it.

Sweet ride over all!
I'd say the only part of it that "Baja" is the tires, but I've seen a lot of full size rigs that crawl with the same baja t/a...
Old 04-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #257
Pebble Pounder

Had a little break yesterday. Kinda bummed because these axles were really compact. Truth is though after the first drive they were already bent up. I'm not sure how these last in the original application but there wasn't much torque put on them with a 35 turn motor and tires that have little grip. Oh well back to the CVD's I had on there in the beginning, genuine Tamiya hardened steel should hold up just fine.

Last edited by jonnywachter; 04-15-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #258
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnywachter View Post
Had a little break yesterday. Kinda bummed because these axles were really compact. Truth is though after the first drive they were already bent up. I'm not sure how these last in the original application but there wasn't much torque put on them with a 35 turn motor and tires that have little grip. Oh well back to the CVD's I had on there in the beginning, genuine Tamiya hardened steel should hold up just fine.

Have you considered a SAS (straight axle swap) on the front of your rig, for a little more durability? LOL!

Build it, break it, rebuild it, break it, repeat.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #259
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Have you considered a SAS (straight axle swap) on the front of your rig, for a little more durability? LOL!

Build it, break it, rebuild it, break it, repeat.
LMAO... Idk sounds like alot of work...
Old 04-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #260
I wanna be Dave

Were those axle shafts from the Tamiya CC01? If so they dont hold up too well in the original application either.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote

1st gen Durango IFS TRUE SCALE (you're going to want to see this) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IFS Durango from 1.9 section Joshs4x4toyz Chit Chat 97 03-11-2019 06:45 AM