Notices

Thread: The bama phoenix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2022, 08:08 PM   #101
RCC Addict

Default Re: The bama phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Thanks brian! Ive about got it painted. It was goin sooooo good, then the black ran under the tape a bit. Hopefully i can get it cleaned up before i lay down the last color. She goina look soooo purdy!

Ill post up pics a lil later on

Spoke too soon!

I’m sure it will turn out plenty good for a crawler. I think that will be a nice performance boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2022, 04:05 AM   #102
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Spoke too soon!

I’m sure it will turn out plenty good for a crawler. I think that will be a nice performance boost.

Yeah, i agree. Opened my mouth to soon on how good it was goin. But its not much, just a few thin runs, not huge lakes of a run. Maybe some paint thinner on a rag will do the trick

Should definantly be a good performance boost. Its alot lighter n sits lower
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:06 PM   #103
RCC Addict

O man, this turned out beautiful!!!!! Cant wait to see it in the sunlight. The paint was goin on sooooo good, til i said it was goin good. After the clear base, 2 good coats of colorshift n the dark gray backing, it was perfect. I moved onto retaping for the bars in the bed n thats when disater hit. Its not as bad as it sounds, n i was able to half way fix it. But i had a few small runs. I used a qtip n some thinner to clean it up. Resprayed the clear, then hit it with the silver n backed it with the dark gray for the final hit.

She sure is sparkly lol. Love how it turned out! From the right angle, u can see the purple in it.

Heres some pics of the progress

Just taped

Clear n first coat of colorshift

Second coat of color shift with backing color

Just a shot of it in the light

Heres the runs, not bad, but stilll smh

After clean up with thinner n q-tip

Silver shot in the bed for aluminum panel look

Heres a good shot of the flakes in the colorshift paint

N heres how it turned out. U can see the purple color on the top edges of the cab n fenders

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2022, 06:26 AM   #104
Go Buckeyes!

Damn bama, that looks great! I'm diggin' that color!

Good save on the rear bars. That kind of oops usually is hard to repair. On my Cliffhanger, I ended up using the film on the outside as a mask and sprayed my bars on the outside. I thought it would be easier than trying to tape off the bars on the inside.

Can't wait to see it out in the sunlight!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:14 AM   #105
RCC Addict

Thanks brian! Lovin it myself. Hopefully it dries out by the weekend n i can get it out on the trails.

Never thought about using the film as a mask, n ive done it that way before smh. Oh well, atleast i halfway saved it lol
Old 06-10-2022, 08:59 AM   #106
RCC Addict

Look at that purple shine. Hope to get her out tomorrow n see how much this body improves her balance

Old 06-10-2022, 09:07 AM   #107
Go Buckeyes!

She sure is purdy!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:01 PM   #108
RCC Addict

Thanks brian! I took her out to cheaha today n ended up finding some new spots to crawl. This body made such n improvement! Still needs a lil more weight on the front axle, but she'll go more vertical now.

I found a pretty sick line, wish id took a pic of it, so i went for it. Just wasnt quite enuf room, so i rode the wall with the left side just a bit. That 'just a bit', well it was too much n she slid off the edge. Im 6ft n we we're eye level when she rolled off, landed top down n hit hard. I felt it thru the ground lol. Well, there went not scratchin it up to bad the first run out.

After that, i found some really good lines. Had a few tumbles, but nothin as bad as the first one. All in all, had a great day out

Old 06-11-2022, 04:11 PM   #109
RCC Addict

Dang tapatalk is bein stupid. Lets see if i can upload more pics now

Old 06-25-2022, 05:18 PM   #110
RCC Addict

Took the phoenix out today. Was havin a good time at a new spot, n dissaster hit. She took a few tumbles n broke the axle n knuckle both. Granted, ive been runnin this rig pretty good since scale nats. Lots of high falls, short tumbles, n some really good binds. But today she gave up the ghost. I ordered a new axle housing n knuckles. Didnt realize til i got to the house, but the upper portal gear is missin. Ive searched on the VP site n it doesnt look like theyre out for sale yet

Old 06-25-2022, 09:04 PM   #111
RCC Addict

Well, i learned somethin new today lol. Didnt know the portal gears in the f10s were the same as the ultra. So i did manage to get a set ordered. Thanks a ton for that info twade!
Old 06-26-2022, 07:02 AM   #112
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Well, i learned somethin new today lol. Didnt know the portal gears in the f10s were the same as the ultra. So i did manage to get a set ordered. Thanks a ton for that info twade!

Absolutely! Bummer about the carnage, but I’m sure you’ll have it up and running in no time!

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 04:30 PM   #113
RCC Addict

Well ladies n gents, its been a few n do i have a bit of a story for u...

So, my buddys hoyt n james called me n wanted to get together today if the rain held out, so i was all in for a day of crawlin. So i left this mornin around 7 n headed on my hr n half journey to cherokee rock village. The first 2 hrs was great, pullin new lines, check out the newly painted bodies, wheels, n tires we all got since last get together. Then it decided to cloud over on us smh. It rained for maybe a half hr, by that time we were soaked from runnin to the vehicles. Thankfully it cleared up, but got a bit humid. The rocks are great when theyre dry, but they get wet, they get slick. So hoyt n james decide theyre leavin, i stayed to run out a few more packs. Well, a few more packs didnt make it thru the phoenix. There was a line i wanted to pull, that i couldnt with the phoenix body on at scale nats.

So i make my way over to the spot n start my decent to the bottom. Locked the rear up to drag me off a small ledge n disaster stuck! The rear got light n met the nose of the truck on the first flip, 2nd flip she went to the right, by the 3rd flip, she was over the edge The phoenix took flight, off of a 60+ ft cliff. I heard her bounce off the wall atleast 5 times n i mean hard hits. In a terrified shrill voice a NO!!!!!! came from deep down inside.

By this point im thinkin ill never see my phoenix again. I did manage to see it layin at the bottom of the revene. So i grabbed up my stuff n head around the other way to find a way to it. Unfortunantly, the way i thought i could get to it was wrong. I ended up on the other side of the far wall. Thankfully there were some rock climbers there. So they went n retreived my beloved phoenix for me. I gave them a $20 for their trouble.

Im VERY VERY happy with the gspeed v3 cf rails n the VP links, shocks, f10 axles, n PL body! No broken axles, no bent links, the body has a small tear by the slider, steering rodend stretched, the panhard rodend pulled the eye open, n 3 of the shocks popped off the upper pivot balls. Havent looked over the electronics yet, but the batt was still connected n the steering servo had resistance when i tryed to turn it by hand, like it was pushing back against me. N i know 2 of the tires need replaced, one ripped at the beadlock ring.

I cant believe it wasnt worse than that. Heres a few pics. The first one is where it went over, wish i had a better veiw over the edge for yall. The 2nd, im zoomed in all the way to get a look at the truck best i can

Old 07-03-2022, 04:57 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Ouch, that sounds like quite the fall! Nice of the climbers to return it to you.

Today I was crawling a super steep rock thats maybe 20' tall standing right next to in case it rolled lol. I try not to let my rigs take huge tumbles.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:58 PM   #115
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Ouch, that sounds like quite the fall! Nice of the climbers to return it to you.

Today I was crawling a super steep rock thats maybe 20' tall standing right next to in case it rolled lol. I try not to let my rigs take huge tumbles.
I try not to let mine fall to far. Im usually pretty close to it. But i was followin it down, so i couldnt catch it. Just glad it wasnt worse than it is. Ive got plenty of rodends
Old 07-03-2022, 07:58 PM   #116
RCC Addict

Phoenix backfliphttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/62c24920...703_102548.mp4

Old 07-03-2022, 08:14 PM   #117
RCC Addict

https://youtube.com/shorts/g0hOx25AUmQ

Old 07-04-2022, 07:32 AM   #118
Slow is the new Fast

The physical abuse these rigs can take is actually pretty impressive, but man that takes it to the extreme. Glad it was the truck and not you. Slippery rock can put a man down pretty quick. Some of the rock local to here has similar looking fungus growing on it, it gets really slick with some rain.

Time for the Phoenix to rise top from the ashes.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:52 AM   #119
Quarry Creeper

Holy cow!! I'm glad you got it back. My buddies talked about that the last time we went down, what would happen if one went over one of the many cliffs down there! I'm glad you had some help!
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 02:37 PM   #120
RCC Addict

Smog, it really amazes me as well. I expected it to be in a pile of parts by the time i got it back. Im very careful wen i get close to the edge. The pic of it layin down in the revene, i was almost layin down so i knew i wouldnt lose my balance. Im not scared of heights, its the fall n more over, the sudden stop at the end that im scared of lol.

The phoenix will definantly rise again

Thanks lashlee! I shouldve hit u up, wouldve been great to have another runnin buddy. Next time i go up, ill hit u up a few days before hand. I think next time we get together, my buddys are comin down here to cheaha to check it out.

The bama phoenix - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bama Projects JDIRCC Alabama 6 01-11-2015 07:29 AM
Southeast Bama smuggl1n Alabama 18 07-11-2013 09:05 PM
OK Bama Scalers hbj069 Alabama 6 05-18-2010 06:00 AM
Any Onroad in Bama? tanmonster Alabama 4 03-03-2010 07:19 AM