Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2023, 03:02 PM   #21
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions

Nice 3rd member purchase. I'd like to get them for all of my F10 axles. Probably not needed, but they look cool and would never have any worries of failure.

Them Landmines look great mounted on them 310's! I ran my used Landmines that are mounted on my Foroenix for the first time last weekend and they did great in the muddy slick terrain that I ran on. I also have the same CI foam setup.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2023, 05:49 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Now if u ask josh, them are true 4.75s lol. Capra looks good tom! Need to get mine out some more

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Thanks Adam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Nice 3rd member purchase. I'd like to get them for all of my F10 axles. Probably not needed, but they look cool and would never have any worries of failure.

Them Landmines look great mounted on them 310's! I ran my used Landmines that are mounted on my Foroenix for the first time last weekend and they did great in the muddy slick terrain that I ran on. I also have the same CI foam setup.

Glad to hear they worked good for you. I’ve been running them on my Capra but with 4.75 foams and while they worked well enough, I wasn’t blown away by the performance. But I’ll admit, it could have had as much to do with my Capra setup as the tires themselves. Partially why I want to run them on a different rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 09:07 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Nothing real excited to report, been working on the trx6 whenever I get a few. The goal with it isn’t to do anything too wild or new. Just wanted another 6x6 to drive next spring and this seemed like a decent deal at the time.

Cab mounted to its permenant location

Starting to mock up bedsides with some extras I had laying around. Still not sure how I’m going to secure them. I do need to get some new ones since I hacked the fenders off these and I don’t think I like that look.

Also got things wired and up for now

Discovered that the rear locker servo was toast, the front locker servo moved but couldn’t get the locker to engage, and I really hated the cluster of wiring with everything hooked up. So I just locked frontand rear full time with some heat shrink and called it a day

Still have lots to do getting the bed figured out, but I also need to figure out battery mounting and a front bumper.

Plan is to get it running as cheap as possible, take it out a few times and if I like it enough I will probably upgrade the servo, and the wheels and tires. And I wouldn’t mind grabbing a bearing kit and going through everything.

Also got my second vrd kit ordered through amain, VP posted that kits were in stock so hopefully mine will be shipping early next week.

And my vfd stubby showed from rpp, but was missing one of the aluminum standoffs. Quick email to VP and they will send me one asap

Old 12-02-2023, 07:09 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Switching gears, since I put the clear skarns on the origin I haven’t loved the look. The clear machetes have a matte finish that’s more of a light grey look, while the clear bead lock rings look almost look raw. So I finally got around to putting black rings back on with the gold hardware. Eventually I will get black scale hub screws to finish it out perfectly.

Old 12-04-2023, 11:27 AM   #25
Go Buckeyes!

I've said it before, but I think the Phoenix cab looks perfect as a 6x6 rig. The fender idea looks good!

The wheels with the gold hardware look fantastic! I really need to up my wheel game with some colored scale hardware!
Old 12-04-2023, 11:47 AM   #26
Slow is the new Fast

Gotta l, agree the Phoenix looks great on the 6 by.

I still regularly scour my local classifieds for the trx6

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 05:31 PM   #27

Sure hope you can get the bedsides worked out on the 6x6. I really like the mock up so far
Axle Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 06:42 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle Scott View Post
Sure hope you can get the bedsides worked out on the 6x6. I really like the mock up so far

Thank you, I’m still deciding if I should just chop the fenders or not. I would get a lot better clearance for the tires, and I would likely be able to lower the body a decent amount… leaning that way at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Gotta l, agree the Phoenix looks great on the 6 by.

I still regularly scour my local classifieds for the trx6

There’s a brand new slider on eBay for $399 American… I’ve had that on my watch list for a while, but this ended up being a better deal.

If we get any snow this winter I will be curious to see how the 6x6 tackles is. I was less than impressed by my 10.2 in the snow, traction being my biggest hang up at the time.

But like fricker said, everyone needs at least one 6x6 in the fleet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I've said it before, but I think the Phoenix cab looks perfect as a 6x6 rig. The fender idea looks good!

The wheels with the gold hardware look fantastic! I really need to up my wheel game with some colored scale hardware!

Thank you sir. The positive side to putting things together and letting them sit on the shelf, is after staring at them long enough you really can decide if you like it or not. Sometimes that means musical wheels and tires (and hardware and rings and hubs) but typically things turn out for the best.

I’m really happy with the origin setup at the moment

Old 12-04-2023, 08:53 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

I remember seeing a 6x6 with a Phoenix body before and to me it makes it looks a lot more like a semi truck cab than an fj45.
xwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:14 AM   #30
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
The positive side to putting things together and letting them sit on the shelf, is after staring at them long enough you really can decide if you like it or not. Sometimes that means musical wheels and tires (and hardware and rings and hubs) but typically things turn out for the best.

That sounds like exactly how most of my builds go. They sit long enough that new things come to mind to add or subtract from them.

I've had a few sets of wheels make their rounds on rigs until they finally found their forever home!
Old 12-05-2023, 07:03 AM   #31

Quote:
Switching gears, since I put the clear skarns on the origin I haven’t loved the look. The clear machetes have a matte finish that’s more of a light grey look, while the clear bead lock rings look almost look raw. So I finally got around to putting black rings back on with the gold hardware. Eventually I will get black scale hub screws to finish it out perfectly.
What the heck are skarns?

VP wheels always look great. Would be nice to have a polished version from them, but I am guessing they go with a matte or textured finish in an attempt to hide rock rash as much as possible.

I like the color scheme on the Origin body. I wish somebody would recreate it because that body is too nice to kill off.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:09 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
What the heck are skarns?

VP wheels always look great. Would be nice to have a polished version from them, but I am guessing they go with a matte or textured finish in an attempt to hide rock rash as much as possible.

I like the color scheme on the Origin body. I wish somebody would recreate it because that body is too nice to kill off.

I had wondered how long the origin bodies would be available from vp with the kits now all being discontinued. Hopefully for a while still because they are probably my favorite big body. Just enough molded detail, not too heavy, and good proportions.

Skarns are a newer beadlock ring from vp. Came out around the time they started offering the ifr rings. Apparently a skarn is a type of rock, but also can be a reference from The Office to Michael Scott’s fictional character Michael Skarn.

This is the previous setup with a clear skarn ring

Old 12-05-2023, 09:13 AM   #33

Quote:
I had wondered how long the origin bodies would be available from vp with the kits now all being discontinued. Hopefully for a while still because they are probably my favorite big body. Just enough molded detail, not too heavy, and good proportions.

Skarns are a newer beadlock ring from vp. Came out around the time they started offering the ifr rings. Apparently a skarn is a type of rock, but also can be a reference from The Office to Michael Scott’s fictional character Michael Skarn.

This is the previous setup with a clear skarn ring
Where are you finding Origin bodies in stock?

Thanks! Odd name. Funny that it's tied to The Office. Definitely better than Fordyce... I got an eyeful when searching for that truck on Bing... The Skarn rings look good though.

IFR were released during my hiatus from RC so those are new to me as well.

So much to learn and relearn.
Old 12-05-2023, 09:20 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

What is Fordyce Trail rated?
This is a highly technical trail with a rating of 9. One locking differential and minimum 35" tires are required. Drivers should be extremely experienced if attempting the Fordyce trail using these minimum vehicle requirements.

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 09:53 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Default Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions

Quote:
Where are you finding Origin bodies in stock?

Thanks! Odd name. Funny that it's tied to The Office. Definitely better than Fordyce... I got an eyeful when searching for that truck on Bing... The Skarn rings look good though.

IFR were released during my hiatus from RC so those are new to me as well.

So much to learn and relearn.

Tbh I haven’t actually looked for either origin body for a long time. VP currently has the half cab body in stock, but not the full cab. I haven’t heard anything about either being discontinued but that doesn’t mean much.

There have been a lot of things in the last few years that have gone away before I got a chance to get them.

Old 12-05-2023, 10:09 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
What is Fordyce Trail rated?
This is a highly technical trail with a rating of 9. One locking differential and minimum 35" tires are required. Drivers should be extremely experienced if attempting the Fordyce trail using these minimum vehicle requirements.

Is that 9"? I learned with that Bing search that "Fordyce" is also X-rated...

Quote:
Tbh I haven’t actually looked for either origin body for a long time. VP currently has the half cab body in stock, but not the full cab. I haven’t heard anything about either being discontinued but that doesn’t mean much.

There have been a lot of things in the last few years that have gone away before I got a chance to get them.
OK. It is a shame if the Origin body is discontinued and nobody copies it. Team Blue Groove can do it, but I don't think they'd be willing to do it to such a new body. They honestly don't make the best quality product anyway.
Old 12-05-2023, 12:18 PM   #37
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
I learned with that Bing search that "Fordyce" is also X-rated...
Get ready for the never ending ads to come your way! Hopefully you searched that in incognito!

Old 12-05-2023, 03:28 PM   #38

[QUOTE=JatoTheRipper;6144364]Is that 9"? I learned with that Bing search that "Fordyce" is also X-rated...

No wonder I like the Fordyce body
Axle Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 09:57 PM   #39
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Is that 9"? I learned with that Bing search that "Fordyce" is also X-rated...

OK. It is a shame if the Origin body is discontinued and nobody copies it. Team Blue Groove can do it, but I don't think they'd be willing to do it to such a new body. They honestly don't make the best quality product anyway.
Fordyce is also the name of a skin disease. In all that's a lot for a word I only recently ever heard for the first time

smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:42 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Fordyce is also the name of a skin disease. In all that's a lot for a word I only recently ever heard for the first time

That's what I was talking about. I searched for "Fordyce" and found bumpy weiners...

Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Decisions, decisions. SCX10 or Trail Finder Jake1715 Newbie General 12 01-03-2017 01:19 PM
Terrible Noob with Terrible Questions. MogollonMonster Newbie General 6 12-11-2016 04:47 PM
Decisions, Decisions, can't make up my mind Gula Chit Chat 20 02-10-2012 09:48 AM
Decisions Decisions Scaler build considerations? Madkoifish 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 09-19-2009 02:37 AM
Decisions Decisions: Options and opinions gabemerrill Newbie General 4 12-15-2006 12:25 PM