Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2023, 05:10 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions

As much as I’ve enjoyed [mention]Fricker08 [/mention] and [mention]B-MOW71 [/mention]’s combined project threads, I decided to make my own.

First up, I just got a deal on a take-off fordyce body, and it is replacing the Phoenix body on my VS-410 mullet chassis. I also swapped from the VP falken m/t’s to Pro-Line 4.75” KM3’s

Specs on this rig are:
-vs410 chassis
-element stealth x (10% o/d going to the rear driveshaft)
-incision plastic driveshafts
-Incision titanium Link set (ultra/portal link kit, but added 94mm upper and 106mm lower front links to push front end out)
-f10 straight front axle
-f10 portal rear axle (SSD O/D ring and pinion) with flipped third member
-about 23% o/d total
-Incision S8E 90mm shocks (+5mm shock ends on rear, and bolted to link mount)
-rear shock mounts flipped and moved forward to line up with the bed cage
-VP method 310’s, .225 hubs, CI Lil Nova 4.5” soft/med foams
-Hobbywing 1080 esc
-Holmes hobbies Crawlmaster sport 13t 540
-Protek 370TBL

All in all it’s a great rig and I’m looking forward to running it next spring. I’ve ran it a handful of times already and it is a solid performer. Now it just looks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2023, 05:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions

So as of today I’m officially starting my VRD Carbon assembly. I was kind of waiting for the 4-day weekend I have for thanksgiving, but my wheel and tire package showed up, and I couldn’t resist getting those done.

Decided on VP Impacts in black, Black skarn rings, black .350 hubs, and black scale hardware.

Tire wise I went VXT2’s and VP 4.75 foams. Foams are perfectly sized for the tires imo (no surprise, they were made for for them), and these bad boys are huge. Should be a good performing setup over all.

The VRD box has been sitting on the shelf for a couple weeks and somehow I’ve remained strong and only opened it to take a peak.

Also pictured is the brand new cliffhanger body I scored for $20, best part is it was already painted, hooray. That cheap, and that convenient, it is an easy choice for this rig.

Electronics wise, currently the plan is to run a Holmes snubnose revolver v2 1000kv. I still need to order a Crawlmaster mini esc, but I’m waiting for rpp to get them back in stock so I can save a couple dollars. I also have a Holmes shv500lp servo lined up.

Plan is to get the BTA servo mount and vfd stubby kit when they are made available.
Old 11-18-2023, 06:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I just picked up the vp foams for my 2nd set of vxt2 tires. They installed way easier than the crawler innovations foams I used in the first set. Can't compare performance yet, but I'm sure they will work fine.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 07:04 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
I just picked up the vp foams for my 2nd set of vxt2 tires. They installed way easier than the crawler innovations foams I used in the first set. Can't compare performance yet, but I'm sure they will work fine.

Yes it was almost magical how easy the vp tires mounted to the vp wheels with vp foams inside of them. Only hard part is how damn sticky the vp compound is.

I used the VP foams in the wildpeak m/t’s that are in my pro, and they performed every bit as good as all the lil novas I’ve used

Old 11-19-2023, 11:02 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Found myself with about 45 minutes of spare time and after spending about 10 of those staring at all my rigs in the shelf, I decided to steal the wheels and 4.75 CI foams off my Capra. The Capra is going to get different tires for next season anyway (was planning the new PL trepadors, but there’s always the chance these vxt2’s end up on there instead).

After a few minutes the fordyce now has km3’s stuffed with 4.75 lil novas mounted on black method roosts. And now running 350 hubs instead of .225’s. Fender rub is worse at full stuff/lock so that may change later.

Rear shock setup

Front shock setup

Shot of the 370tbl and my Flysky receiver mounted to a little carbon tray I made

View of the carbon electronics/battery trays I made. Pretty simple setup, cleaner and lighter than the stock configuration with the vfd twin.

Old 11-20-2023, 05:08 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Looks awesome. I like the Stealth trans. What do you think the weight difference is between your set up versus the stock set up?
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 08:34 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
Looks awesome. I like the Stealth trans. What do you think the weight difference is between your set up versus the stock set up?

That’s a great question, unfortunately I never weighed my stock Phoenix. I did check and my fordyce currently sits at 5 lbs 11 oz without battery.

My guess is it’s probably not much different compared to a Phoenix straight axle, but should be noticeably less than a portal kit.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:30 AM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

I imagine the Stealth trans with the 1080 has made that Fordyce whisper quiet. I am curious how significantly has it affected the drive quality?
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 09:35 AM   #9
Go Buckeyes!

Perfect thread name! Most, if not all of my threads could be named that!

This will be a a great thread to keep all your rigs corralled all together. Glad that I started my own thread too, but now the problem I have is keeping it updated!

Following along to see what other great decisions you make spending your money!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 10:42 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I imagine the Stealth trans with the 1080 has made that Fordyce whisper quiet. I am curious how significantly has it affected the drive quality?

Yes, it’s much quieter than the twin for sure. I’ve always loved the elements I’ve owned because of how smooth and quiet they are out of the box.

By drive quality, I assume you mean performance wise? That’s tough for me to answer, I don’t spend a lot of time looking for ultimate performance, and the terrain I usually drive isn’t the most challenging either.

Theoretically the swap lightens things, but also moves the weight bias further back compared to the twin.

What I can say is the biggest limiting factor for this rig has been the body since day 1. I wouldn’t mind looking into losing some weight in the bed area, but I also don’t want to just hack things up for the sake of performance. I have other rigs for that…

Old 11-20-2023, 10:44 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Perfect thread name! Most, if not all of my threads could be named that!

This will be a a great thread to keep all your rigs corralled all together. Glad that I started my own thread too, but now the problem I have is keeping it updated!

Following along to see what other great decisions you make spending your money!

Thanks for checking in sir. Because I tend to buy/sell things often I’ve been hesitant to start individual build threads. But every once in a while I have things I’d like to share.

Speaking of, I have an update that I’ll post later tonight or tomorrow…

Old 11-20-2023, 12:49 PM   #12
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Yes, it’s much quieter than the twin for sure. I’ve always loved the elements I’ve owned because of how smooth and quiet they are out of the box.

By drive quality, I assume you mean performance wise? That’s tough for me to answer, I don’t spend a lot of time looking for ultimate performance, and the terrain I usually drive isn’t the most challenging either.

Theoretically the swap lightens things, but also moves the weight bias further back compared to the twin.

What I can say is the biggest limiting factor for this rig has been the body since day 1. I wouldn’t mind looking into losing some weight in the bed area, but I also don’t want to just hack things up for the sake of performance. I have other rigs for that…

I can relate, I have always been partial to how smooth and quiet the Elements are. The reason I asked about drive quality is likely for the reason you brought up. I don't necessarily build my trail rigs for comp level performance. Mine get Wet,.muddy and need to look like scale trucks while doing it. I have run a three gear ans ar44's on a VP chassis. I find if feels a lot like an scx10.2 and very little liike a VP. It certainly is quite different feeling than my phoenix. The VFD is so heavy and low that in general I would expect a stealth x to change the feel and balance of the rig quite decidedly..
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 02:50 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I can relate, I have always been partial to how smooth and quiet the Elements are. The reason I asked about drive quality is likely for the reason you brought up. I don't necessarily build my trail rigs for comp level performance. Mine get Wet,.muddy and need to look like scale trucks while doing it. I have run a three gear ans ar44's on a VP chassis. I find if feels a lot like an scx10.2 and very little liike a VP. It certainly is quite different feeling than my phoenix. The VFD is so heavy and low that in general I would expect a stealth x to change the feel and balance of the rig quite decidedly..

Yep that’s pretty accurate, imo all of the vp rigs are definitely on the heavier side, particularly my pro. While I enjoy the pro for many reasons, I prefer lighter more nimble rigs for pure driving enjoyment and performance

Old 11-20-2023, 03:19 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I always love the combination threads! I look forward to seeing that VRD all come together.
xwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 09:03 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwaz View Post
I always love the combination threads! I look forward to seeing that VRD all come together.

Thanks for checking in.

Speaking of the vrd, I ended up meeting a local buddy after work today and traded the vrd for a trx6 slider and a set of g-speed 6x6 rails.

Not the most logical thing to do, but I’ll end up ordering a new vrd kit when they are restocked, and I’ll be coming out ahead money wise by doing it this way. Only down side is I’ll have to wait a few more weeks to start on the vrd.

In the mean time I stripped the trx6 down to what I’ll call a sport chassis, and started mocking up my recently removed Phoenix body.

No real exciting plans for it other than that, it was clearly an impulse buy, but should give me something to tinker on for a bit. Unsure what will happen with the g speed rails. May build a second 6x6, or may sell them

Old 11-20-2023, 10:32 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Glad to see you start one of these finally, even though I pretty much know everything you’ve got going on haha. I think everyone needs a 6x6 in their life

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 05:59 PM   #17
Go Buckeyes!

Nice find on the 6x6. I think the Phoenix cab looks right at home on there!

If your latest VRD was anything like mine, it'll be sitting for a few months. So probably no hurry on getting one built! There will be plenty more VRD's to be had at a later date. Well, maybe! Everybody now seems to want them!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 07:53 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Glad to see you start one of these finally, even though I pretty much know everything you’ve got going on haha. I think everyone needs a 6x6 in their life

Thanks man, and I agree. If I remember correctly I sold the first one I had to fund the ultra purchase, which didn’t last very long either. Ever since then I’ve had it in the back of my mind to get another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Nice find on the 6x6. I think the Phoenix cab looks right at home on there!

If your latest VRD was anything like mine, it'll be sitting for a few months. So probably no hurry on getting one built! There will be plenty more VRD's to be had at a later date. Well, maybe! Everybody now seems to want them!

Exactly, by now my driving season is basically done, so no rush to build a kit just to have it sit until spring. Usually that’s how things get sold before they ever get run…

If everything lines up I’m hoping to order the vrd kit from rpp at the first of the month. Hopefully I can grab a stubby vfd kit at the same time.

Also, there’s a good chance the impacts/vxt2’s end up on my 4ws Capra now. For the vrd I’ll likely go with either some broke in g8 krawlers, or the landmines that used to be on the Capra.

Old 11-23-2023, 09:03 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Small thanksgiving day update!

Got the aluminum f10 third members I ordered for the vfd carbon kit

Swapped the .225 hubs from the 310’s to the impacts and mounted them on my 4ws Capra. Details on it are

Stock trans w/11t pinion
Vader flat skid
Hobbywing fusion se 1800kv
2x Holmes Hobbies SHV800’s w/vp horns
Stock links
Stock shocks rebuilt with Traxxas x-rings and an extra shim (no leaks so far)
VP underdrive ring and pinion in the rear axle
SSD hex adapters
And now 1.9 impacts, vxt2’s and vts foams

This Capra is one of my top rigs, and I’ve run it quite a bit and have had no real impulse to sell it. I definitely plan on more upgrades in the future, but it already works really good so that may be a while.

Eventually I’d like to swap in a DLux portal trans, different shocks (possible element/FT), and right now I’m thinking about ordering incision titanium links and possibly extending the wheel base a tad , right now it’s at 12.8” but wouldn’t mind seeing 13”+.

Lastly I mounted the JConcepts Landmines on the 310’s with CI 4.5 lil novas and those will end up on the future vrd carbon build

Just for reference here’s two 4.75 tires side by side

Old 11-23-2023, 12:58 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Now if u ask josh, them are true 4.75s lol. Capra looks good tom! Need to get mine out some more

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote

Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Decisions, decisions. SCX10 or Trail Finder Jake1715 Newbie General 12 01-03-2017 01:19 PM
Terrible Noob with Terrible Questions. MogollonMonster Newbie General 6 12-11-2016 04:47 PM
Decisions, Decisions, can't make up my mind Gula Chit Chat 20 02-10-2012 09:48 AM
Decisions Decisions Scaler build considerations? Madkoifish 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 09-19-2009 02:37 AM
Decisions Decisions: Options and opinions gabemerrill Newbie General 4 12-15-2006 12:25 PM