Thread: Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2023, 09:58 AM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Got a link to those links?

If you search scx10 ii links on Amazon they’ll come up under different names, like any good China product.

Keep in mind, I believe they are actually scx10 links because they have a short drag link and two front upper links. And the ones I’ve used, if you use the supplied rod ends, they are too long for 10.2/vp link applications. I always use vp rod ends, and they fit perfect on one of my 10.2’s. Upper and lowers obviously, no panhard, and drag link is too short.

But for the price they have come in handy when I need custom lengths, or bends for clearance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2023, 10:17 AM   #62
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
If you search scx10 ii links on Amazon they’ll come up under different names, like any good China product.

Keep in mind, I believe they are actually scx10 links because they have a short drag link and two front upper links. And the ones I’ve used, if you use the supplied rod ends, they are too long for 10.2/vp link applications. I always use vp rod ends, and they fit perfect on one of my 10.2’s. Upper and lowers obviously, no panhard, and drag link is too short.

But for the price they have come in handy when I need custom lengths, or bends for clearance

I have bought a few of those style sets for various trucks. They are super useful to just have lying around for axle swaps and custom body fitment. Like you said the VP rod ends, traxxas long and shorts all to fine tune them.
xwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 10:40 AM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The 1/4 inch vp tie rod can be had for cheap straight from vp and has nice grit and both bends compared to the stock fordyce included.

https://www.vanquishproducts.com/inc...steel-tie-rod/

not that is a bad idea to have extra links on your arsenal specially if they can be picked up for cheap on amazon but I doubt it be cheaper than the vp for a set.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 12:31 PM   #64

Quote:

Thank you. Not all Chinese brands are the same though which is why I prefer links and names of Chinese brands from people that have used the product. Just because two Chinese products look the same doesn't mean they are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy-Triple View Post
The 1/4 inch vp tie rod can be had for cheap straight from vp and has nice grit and both bends compared to the stock fordyce included.

https://www.vanquishproducts.com/inc...steel-tie-rod/

not that is a bad idea to have extra links on your arsenal specially if they can be picked up for cheap on amazon but I doubt it be cheaper than the vp for a set.
The link you posted is $9 versus the entire set posted that is $17. How do you figure?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 06:22 AM   #65
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:

These are the links I use. I’ve bought multiple sets mainly just for the rear links. Nice links at a nice price. 10pcs/Set Stainless Steel... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KRVPFGC...p_mob_ap_share

B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 07:45 AM   #66
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
These are the links I use. I’ve bought multiple sets mainly just for the rear links. Nice links at a nice price. 10pcs/Set Stainless Steel... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KRVPFGC...p_mob_ap_share

That's a brand I threw on my wraith when I first picked it up. They've held up well for crawling duty.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 09:30 AM   #67
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=JatoTheRipper;The link you posted is $9 versus the entire set posted that is $17. How do you figure?[/QUOTE]

Not that is important just to clarify ... you can get the precise robust and made for the axle link for 9 or you can experiment with a set of links that def doesn't have the same quality and look and will not fit the same for 17 and you'll have extra for other uses. up to you, never said one way or the other up to the user and what he wants to do with his dough to me it just seem to cheaper to get the 9 dollar part that is made for the purpose as oppose to have many left over lower quality parts for 17 dollars. to me its cheaper to get the correct part for 9 than 17 youll still be a link short on your set of links.

Last edited by Speedy-Triple; 12-26-2023 at 09:35 AM.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 11:27 AM   #68
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy-Triple View Post
Not that is important just to clarify ... you can get the precise robust and made for the axle link for 9 or you can experiment with a set of links that def doesn't have the same quality and look and will not fit the same for 17 and you'll have extra for other uses. up to you, never said one way or the other up to the user and what he wants to do with his dough to me it just seem to cheaper to get the 9 dollar part that is made for the purpose as oppose to have many left over lower quality parts for 17 dollars. to me its cheaper to get the correct part for 9 than 17 youll still be a link short on your set of links.

I knew what you meant.

Just for further clarification I have the stock Fordyce tie rod (smaller diameter straight link with bent rod ends) as well as the heavier double bent tie rod from a phoenix kit. I chose not to use either in favor of the single bend rear link because it clears the housing at full lock, and gives me a little toe out, which I prefer.

I would have had to thread the rod ends out a few turns with the double bent tie rod, plus it hangs out to the front further than I’d like.

Think of my setup like a hybrid between the straight link and the double bent.

Old 12-29-2023, 09:37 AM   #69
RCC Addict

Not much Fordyce progress over the holidays, but I did get the trans built. Ended up using a Kimbrough 52t spur, and a 15t pinion on the end of a Crawlmaster sport 540 13t.

Most of my hobby time was spent gathering up spare parts and listing them. You may have noticed the 6x6 is heading out the door, partially because I lost interest (especially after mentally calculating the cost of 6 vp wheels, 3 bags of hub screws, 3 bags of beadlock hardware, 6 tires, 6 foams, etc…

And the other reason is I was able to order my 3rd (yes I know I have problems, hence the name of this thread) VRD kit. This one will actually get built. I’m sure of it.

Over last weekend I decided to cut my monthly hobby fund. Previously I allowed myself $100 a month of fun money, but I’m switching to $50 a month for now. I have some other financial responsibilities to attend to, as well as recognizing i just don’t have enough time to devote to rc, to justify the larger budget.

Along with that, I’m imposing a 5 rig maximum rule for myself, which at the moment will consist of the Portal Origin, the Grey Fordyce mullet, the Portal VRD Fordyce, the full VRD Carbon kit, and my Capra 4ws.

I’ll likely spend the next month or two finishing the portal Fordyce and putting together the vfd kit, which hopefully gets me right into driving season. Once I get the chance to run all the rigs, there’s a good chance one or two will be on the chopping block to make way for future rigs. It’s odd that I don’t have a single true straight axle truck, so that may need to be addressed…

Old 01-01-2024, 04:04 PM   #70
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Over last weekend I decided to cut my monthly hobby fund. Previously I allowed myself $100 a month of fun money, but I’m switching to $50 a month for now. I have some other financial responsibilities to attend to, as well as recognizing i just don’t have enough time to devote to rc, to justify the larger budget.

Along with that, I’m imposing a 5 rig maximum rule for myself, which at the moment will consist of the Portal Origin, the Grey Fordyce mullet, the Portal VRD Fordyce, the full VRD Carbon kit, and my Capra 4ws.

I’ll likely spend the next month or two finishing the portal Fordyce and putting together the vfd kit, which hopefully gets me right into driving season. Once I get the chance to run all the rigs, there’s a good chance one or two will be on the chopping block to make way for future rigs. It’s odd that I don’t have a single true straight axle truck, so that may need to be addressed…

You know, I think the 5 rig max limit is a good rule to set. My fleet has spiraled out of control and I too have thought about slimming down.

Though to get to 5 would be a depressing feat for me, so I may have to set the limit to 8-10!
Old 01-04-2024, 09:21 PM   #71
RCC Addict

Quote:
You know, I think the 5 rig max limit is a good rule to set. My fleet has spiraled out of control and I too have thought about slimming down.

Though to get to 5 would be a depressing feat for me, so I may have to set the limit to 8-10!

To be honest I’ve thought about doing it for a while now, but couldn’t bring myself to let certain rigs go. But eventually I found the motivation I needed and committed to it. Some days I wish I was more of a collector, it would be nice to have certain rigs in the fleet, but the reality is I don’t have enough free time to justify it.

Old 01-04-2024, 09:22 PM   #72
RCC Addict

Default Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions

Got a few things in the mail.

Decided to get some g8 krawlers for the portal Fordyce, also got gr8 beadlock screws and SSD scale locking hubs for it.

Also grabbed some black hub screws for the origin

Hoping to get some work done on some rigs this weekend

Old 01-05-2024, 03:56 PM   #73
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
To be honest I’ve thought about doing it for a while now, but couldn’t bring myself to let certain rigs go. But eventually I found the motivation I needed and committed to it. Some days I wish I was more of a collector, it would be nice to have certain rigs in the fleet, but the reality is I don’t have enough free time to justify it.

If I were truly practical I could easily get down to 3 or 4 crawlers. I have several that haven't been run in years. I can't imagine I will ever run my Ascenders again. They are poorly designed and have terrible gearing. However, because I have space on my workshop wall and they look cool i just keep them there like a piece of history. My Wraith, Yeti and Exo don't see the dirt much anymore either, but every once in awhile it's fun to take them out. I must admit i like seeing these bits of crawling history around the shop

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 06:03 PM   #74
RCC Addict

Default Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions

Haven’t been as productive as I’d hoped so far, but I got a few things done.

Last week I got my rpp order in

Origin finally got black scale hub screws

Still debating if I should add the vfd upgrades I have or not. Aluminum stand offs, aluminum bearing plates and 21% gears. If I do, I’ll probably grab an aluminum motor plate as well.

Also got the wheel and tire package dialed for the portal fordyce, new G8 Krawlers, lil nova, gr8 beadlock hardware, .225 hubs, black scale hub screws and SSD scale locking hubs.

Old 01-06-2024, 06:11 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
If I were truly practical I could easily get down to 3 or 4 crawlers. I have several that haven't been run in years. I can't imagine I will ever run my Ascenders again. They are poorly designed and have terrible gearing. However, because I have space on my workshop wall and they look cool i just keep them there like a piece of history. My Wraith, Yeti and Exo don't see the dirt much anymore either, but every once in awhile it's fun to take them out. I must admit i like seeing these bits of crawling history around the shop

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk

There’s nothing wrong with that, like I said, there’s times I wish I had held on to more rigs, and even added more to the collection to begin with

Old 01-07-2024, 10:13 AM   #76
Go Buckeyes!

The Fordyce is looking great with the new wheel and tire combo! The more I see this body, the more I want one.

When I first saw the body when VP released it I really wasn't liking it, but it has grown on me. And that blue looks fantastic!
Old 01-07-2024, 01:25 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

Nice!! Both of those rigs look great. The scale locking hubs always make the wheels look so realistic.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:53 PM   #78
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Nice!! Both of those rigs look great. The scale locking hubs always make the wheels look so realistic.

Thank you sir. I definitely hate looking at wheel nuts… just ruins the look for me.

Quote:
The Fordyce is looking great with the new wheel and tire combo! The more I see this body, the more I want one.

When I first saw the body when VP released it I really wasn't liking it, but it has grown on me. And that blue looks fantastic!

I feel like the Fordyce is a huge improvement over the Phoenix body. I wanted to like the Phoenix but the proportions never sat right with me. Long and tall cab, short nose, and it didn’t take much to get a lot of tire rub on the front fenders. For me the Fordyce improves all of those. It’s still a bit on the tall and chunky side, but scale body proportions aren’t always straight forward.

Old 01-21-2024, 09:03 PM   #79
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
I feel like the Fordyce is a huge improvement over the Phoenix body. I wanted to like the Phoenix but the proportions never sat right with me. Long and tall cab, short nose, and it didn’t take much to get a lot of tire rub on the front fenders. For me the Fordyce improves all of those. It’s still a bit on the tall and chunky side, but scale body proportions aren’t always straight forward.

I agree. I've been debating on picking up the Fordyce cabs and swapping out one or both of my Phoenix. The proportions are much better on the Fordyce and the blue that VP used looks killer!
Old 01-21-2024, 09:07 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Well I haven’t really had a lot of time for my rigs lately, but still there’s been some changes.

One day I was sitting in my office chair staring at my trucks on the wall and contemplating just how much further ahead in life I could be if I didn’t spend so much time and money buying and selling RC trucks.

I stripped down the mullet fordyce and sold everything but the 370tbl, and the wheel/tire setup. The 370tbl is going in the portal fordyce, and the roosts will go on the vrd probably.

Then I cannibalized my half built vrd carbon kit for the shocks and the trans. The origin got those plus a set of f10 straight axles from [mention]Fricker08 [/mention] (which obviously he bought from me a few weeks ago… man do we have problems)

I jumped on the discount code that [mention]JatoTheRipper [/mention] shared and got another VRD carbon kit on the way… still planning that build. This will be the fourth vrd kit I’ve bought so far.

And other than that I just need to decide if I want a fusion pro or se for the Fordyce portal truck.

For now my line up with be:
Capra 4ws
Straight axle origin
Portal Fordyce
VRD carbon

Hoping to stick to that and get some good run time on all four this season.

Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Decisions, decisions. SCX10 or Trail Finder Jake1715 Newbie General 12 01-03-2017 01:19 PM
Terrible Noob with Terrible Questions. MogollonMonster Newbie General 6 12-11-2016 04:47 PM
Decisions, Decisions, can't make up my mind Gula Chit Chat 20 02-10-2012 09:48 AM
Decisions Decisions Scaler build considerations? Madkoifish 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 09-19-2009 02:37 AM
Decisions Decisions: Options and opinions gabemerrill Newbie General 4 12-15-2006 12:25 PM