Notices

Thread: Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2023, 08:02 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I searched for "Fordyce" and found bumpy weiners...

Quoted for posterity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2023, 09:14 AM   #42
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions

Quote:
I searched for "Fordyce" and found bumpy weiners...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
In all that's a lot for a word I only recently ever heard for the first time

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
Same, never knew the word existed.

Sorry for the derailment Tom. You can now proceed with more cool rig pics!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 10:50 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That's what I was talking about. I searched for "Fordyce" and found bumpy weiners...
Well that certainly took the thread in a different direction!!

Great thread Twade...I've been enjoying following along.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 11:08 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Well that certainly took the thread in a different direction!!

Great thread Twade...I've been enjoying following along.

Thanks for checking in!

Old 12-09-2023, 07:39 AM   #45
RCC Addict

VRD #2 arrived yesterday. After selling the first one, using the amain Black Friday code, and $30 worth of rewards I’m only in the kit $315.

As of now I likely won’t start the build until Christmas weekend. I do still need to order an esc, but other than that I should have everything on hand to make it RTR.

Old 12-09-2023, 08:14 AM   #46
Go Buckeyes!

Nice. Can't beat that deal.

Looking forward to seeing #2's assembly in the coming weeks!
Old 12-09-2023, 11:42 AM   #47
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
That's what I was talking about. I searched for "Fordyce" and found bumpy weiners...
of all things...

smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 10:04 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Well kind of a sad day… a week or two back I decided to part out my vs410 Pro. It was a nice rig, and by far the rig I’ve owned the longest. It started as a basic clear pro, then after a bit I went to black axles, then I got a deal on some clear d44’s and those went on. I had actually just recently put VP falkens, underdrive ring and pinion, and swapped in an shv800. But at the end of the day it just wasn’t my favorite rig to drive. Given the choice I’d prefer to drive my 4ws Capra, my vs410 mullet chassis, or my recently finished f10 portal axle origin.

So the pro got stripped, besides I’m keeping the chassis and body set for now. Could end up rebuilding on the cheap with some f10 straight axles and a fordyce vfd or something. But likely not.

Most recent picture

One of the last outings

And mostly stripped down

Last edited by twade984; 12-18-2023 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:12 PM   #49
RCC Addict

After the pro part-out money hit my PayPal account, I got a line on a new in box blue fordyce with 21% t-case gears for $360 shipped. Couldn’t pass it up, plus it just so happened I was looking to pick up a blue fordyce body any way for my next project.

Unfortunately for this fine looking RTR, it wasn’t staying in this condition for long.

A few minutes later I’m left with the basis for my next rig.

I’ve already sold the axles and the vfd from the fordyce. Debating if I should sell the tires and shocks as well. But they won’t be used on this rig regardless.

Also, I did get my second vrd kit in, and I decided I’m going to use axles, trans, and shocks from that for the Fordyce. I already sold the complete chassis and link set to a certain Alabama resident from RCC.

The Fordyce will also be getting the method 101’s, falkens, and vts foams from my pro. Not completely decided on electronics at the moment, but I have the brxl and torquemaster expert from the pro, as well as several 1080/Crawlmaster sport combos.

Currently I’m planning on ordering my third vrd kit beginning of January so I can finally get that build started. I already have everything I need that I think.

That’s it for now. Hoping for axle and trans assembly Christmas weekend

Old 12-19-2023, 05:11 AM   #50
RCC Addict

Hate to see the ol pro go, but u got a steal on that fordyce. Curious to see where that goes.

That alabama fellar is pretty stoked, or 'chuffed' as mat would say lol, to get the vrd chassis. Looks like ill be snaggin the vfd out of the purple cliffhanger n swap it with a twin from another rig for now. May even start a thread on that one, who knows

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 06:22 AM   #51
Go Buckeyes!

RIP Pro. Sacrifices for bigger and better things are tough to swallow, but in the end all work out. I'm hoping I can keep my Pro in one piece.

A lot going on here. Nice to see progress coming and going. Looking forward to that Alabama buyers new build thread!

I like your plan for the new Fordyce. Nice deal you got on that. Can't wait to see how it comes together.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:33 AM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Hate to see the ol pro go, but u got a steal on that fordyce. Curious to see where that goes.

That alabama fellar is pretty stoked, or 'chuffed' as mat would say lol, to get the vrd chassis. Looks like ill be snaggin the vfd out of the purple cliffhanger n swap it with a twin from another rig for now. May even start a thread on that one, who knows

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

I’m definitely bummed to see it go as well, but at the end of the day I could justify having that much money tied up in a rig that was fourth on my list to drive.

You definitely should start a thread on the vfd chassis when it shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
RIP Pro. Sacrifices for bigger and better things are tough to swallow, but in the end all work out. I'm hoping I can keep my Pro in one piece.

A lot going on here. Nice to see progress coming and going. Looking forward to that Alabama buyers new build thread!

I like your plan for the new Fordyce. Nice deal you got on that. Can't wait to see how it comes together.

I tend to go through phases where I start accumulating rigs, and then at a certain point I remember I’m not much of a collector, and I start selling off. One day I may regret that, but I hope not haha.

I’m excited for the portal Fordyce build as well. The portal origin performs so well, that I can only imagine the narrower body, lightweight vfd, 21% o/d and knuckle weights will be a performer as well.

Old 12-19-2023, 03:45 PM   #53
Slow is the new Fast

You are likely smart to keep shuffling your rigs through while they are still sought after As the years go by they become dated and the value drops.
Look forward to what's coming next

smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 04:07 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
You are likely smart to keep shuffling your rigs through while they are still sought after As the years go by they become dated and the value drops.
Look forward to what's coming next

This is ultimately why I primarily own VP based rigs. Vanquish so far has maintained good resale value, while everything else you can barely it away.

That, and I just really like the balance of looks and performance and durability of VP stuff

Old 12-21-2023, 06:29 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Got started on the Fordyce axles. I’ve never actually put extra weight on any of my rigs, so I’m interested to compare the Fordyce to my other rigs.

Ended up using a set of o/d portal gears I had laying around in the rear axle, so they are matching ratio now. The trans has 21% gears and I think that will be perfect for more of a scale/trail truck.

Old 12-21-2023, 11:53 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Axles done, had some 80mm s8e’s laying around, they appear to have 70wt in them, should be perfect.

Couple tweaks to the panhard, otherwise I’m using all the stock links as they came on the Fordyce, besides the tie rod. That’s an Amazon stainless high clearance unit that just happened to be the right length.

And here’s where I’m at for now. Still need to build the trans, and decide on electronics.

Eventually I will probably grab some slightly longer links for the front, so it sits like my grey Fordyce. And possibly the rear as well, the tire just touches the front of the rear wheel arch when compressed.

Also plan to get some (probably gr scale beadlock hardware, some SSD scale locking hubs, and I would like to have some more carbon electronics trays cut.

Old 12-22-2023, 06:31 AM   #57
Go Buckeyes!

I think you're on to something with the portal gearing. That's what I was thinking to do to my VRD. I really don't need all that gearing that stock offers.

Nice find on the steering link. I never even thought about a high-clearance link being the right length for that. Good to know for future builds!

I also run 70wt in my S8E's and it does seem to be just right. I haven't tried them out in bone chilling weather, but then again my body doesn't leave the house if the temp is below 40 degrees.

I do recommend the longer links for the front axle. I like having the extended front axle on my latest build. And I think the looks alone is worth it. IMO the tire sits too close to the rear fender with the stock links.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:30 AM   #58
RCC Addict

Quote:
I think you're on to something with the portal gearing. That's what I was thinking to do to my VRD. I really don't need all that gearing that stock offers.

Nice find on the steering link. I never even thought about a high-clearance link being the right length for that. Good to know for future builds!

I also run 70wt in my S8E's and it does seem to be just right. I haven't tried them out in bone chilling weather, but then again my body doesn't leave the house if the temp is below 40 degrees.

I do recommend the longer links for the front axle. I like having the extended front axle on my latest build. And I think the looks alone is worth it. IMO the tire sits too close to the rear fender with the stock links.

Yes I thought about it for my vrd as well, but decided I will build that basically as intended and try it before I start changing it too much.

The tie rod idea I think I took from a photo in the TGH catalogue. And as it turns out one of the rear Amazon 10.2 links is the perfect length for most of the vp axles.

I may price out steel links from hardcore, and maybe even go high clearance on the lowers.

Although now I think about it, maybe I should see what I have for leftover Amazon links and where those would put me.

Old 12-22-2023, 09:13 AM   #59
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Although now I think about it, maybe I should see what I have for leftover Amazon links and where those would put me.

I am using the Amazon rear high-clearance links on both of my Phoenix builds and they have been working great. I left the straight links up front because the HC links expose to much and probably wouldn't matter anyways.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:22 AM   #60

Quote:
I am using the Amazon rear high-clearance links on both of my Phoenix builds and they have been working great. I left the straight links up front because the HC links expose to much and probably wouldn't matter anyways.
Got a link to those links?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Twade’s Terrible Financial Decisions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Decisions, decisions. SCX10 or Trail Finder Jake1715 Newbie General 12 01-03-2017 01:19 PM
Terrible Noob with Terrible Questions. MogollonMonster Newbie General 6 12-11-2016 04:47 PM
Decisions, Decisions, can't make up my mind Gula Chit Chat 20 02-10-2012 09:48 AM
Decisions Decisions Scaler build considerations? Madkoifish 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 09-19-2009 02:37 AM
Decisions Decisions: Options and opinions gabemerrill Newbie General 4 12-15-2006 12:25 PM