Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: New Comp Build.......SWX......New Production Pics!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #661
Pebble Pounder

Hi Brad, I was wondering why are you and Austin (Dunn) prefer spring compression shock instead of droop? Since I've found spring setup is harder to adjust than droop..Thanks for answering my question...
dirtworkshw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #662
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketocrawl View Post
I just drilled out 2 holes in each stock body mount than used self tappers and screwed them to the inside of the chassis, very clean and sturdy, also i dremeled out the insidee of the plate for my dig servo and I used the spacers included for my shock stand offs. I just need to trim up my grappler and run my new set up this weekend. I have some top guns on the way too. Sick design Bender!!!
Thanks.

Nice looking rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtworkshw View Post
Hi Brad, I was wondering why are you and Austin (Dunn) prefer spring compression shock instead of droop? Since I've found spring setup is harder to adjust than droop..Thanks for answering my question...
The biggest reason is torque twist. I personally don't like how droop set-ups can unload in some situations because of the torque from the driveshafts. Droop works better with Berg and Clod style axles IMO.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #663
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for your swift reply...could you please give me more detailed explanation? Furthermore, which do you think is best..fast unload or slow unload? Did you use different shock oil (WT) between front and rear shocks and can you please tell me how much weights did you put on each front and rear wheels...sorry too much asking..hope you don't mind...

Last edited by dirtworkshw; 10-30-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #664
Quarry Creeper

The search function has alot of valuable data.
liketocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #665
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Thanks for your swift reply...could you please give me more detailed explanation? Furthermore, which do you think is best..fast unload or slow unload? Did you use different shock oil (WT) between front and rear shocks and can you please tell me how much weights did you put on each front and rear wheels...sorry too much asking..hope you don't mind...
With a droop suspension set-up on a shaft driven truck, the force of the driveshafts can unload the droop suspension. That usually causes the chassis to lean hard to one side by extending the shocks, making your rig unstable. Having the suspension set-up to unload slowly is best IMO. But, that usually means running thicker shock oil, which can make the suspension too stiff in certain situations. Finding that happy medium requires some trial and error. I run 20 wt oil in the front shocks, 35wt in the right rear and 50wt in the left rear. That's looking at the rig from the back. I run aluminum wheels and memory foams, so I don't add any extra weight to my wheels, since that set-up is somewhat heavy to start with. Hope that helps a little.

Here's a couple pics of my last few mods. I installed JR's 8711 servo out front recently, which made a huge difference over my old 200oz Sanwa servo. I also swapped out the dig servo for Hitec's 985mg. The last pic is of my front body mount for those that were asking about it.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #666
Quarry Creeper

how'd you convince losi to let you use those tires? what do you think of them? Looking good man
stublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #667
Pebble Pounder

Brad is your dig servo currently mounted with just the 2 posts going to the skid or is there another mount point on the rear of the servo. In one of the pictures I can see what looks like a 3rd screw...

My SWX chassis should be in next week to go with my SW3. I'm looking forward to mounting up my new dig in it.
Dewmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #668
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stublet View Post
how'd you convince losi to let you use those tires? what do you think of them? Looking good man
They're pretty cool about running whatever works. I think the Claws are still the best tire, but I'm constantly trying different set-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmerz View Post
Brad is your dig servo currently mounted with just the 2 posts going to the skid or is there another mount point on the rear of the servo. In one of the pictures I can see what looks like a 3rd screw...

My SWX chassis should be in next week to go with my SW3. I'm looking forward to mounting up my new dig in it.
The servo is mounted to an aluminum plate with 3 screws. The 2 main screws in the pics go through the servo plate into the skid plate.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #669
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info. Mounting the servo this way looks better than the normal location. Good to know a larger servo will fit there if the 225 I have burns out quickly.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #670
I wanna be Dave

Looks very nice Fred, may have to resurrect my sw-3 proto truck into a axial/ losi crawler. any pics of the outside mounting location of that nice steering servo plate you made? I see the 2 in the middle, but curious on the outside ones? knuckle screw?
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:05 AM   #671
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
With a droop suspension set-up on a shaft driven truck, the force of the driveshafts can unload the droop suspension. That usually causes the chassis to lean hard to one side by extending the shocks, making your rig unstable. Having the suspension set-up to unload slowly is best IMO. But, that usually means running thicker shock oil, which can make the suspension too stiff in certain situations. Finding that happy medium requires some trial and error. I run 20 wt oil in the front shocks, 35wt in the right rear and 50wt in the left rear. That's looking at the rig from the back. I run aluminum wheels and memory foams, so I don't add any extra weight to my wheels, since that set-up is somewhat heavy to start with. Hope that helps a little.

Here's a couple pics of my last few mods. I installed JR's 8711 servo out front recently, which made a huge difference over my old 200oz Sanwa servo. I also swapped out the dig servo for Hitec's 985mg. The last pic is of my front body mount for those that were asking about it.
Wow thanks Brad for being very helpful to me..this is exactly what i need to know about suspension setup...I'm definitely getting your SWX, coz it is nice to buy a product especially if you can talk and discuss directly with the designer....you're the man Brad...wish you the best...
Old 10-31-2008, 08:49 AM   #672
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmerz View Post
Thanks for the info. Mounting the servo this way looks better than the normal location. Good to know a larger servo will fit there if the 225 I have burns out quickly.
No problem. I do like the 1/10th scale servo better for the dig, but it's a really tight fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimoger View Post
Looks very nice Fred, may have to resurrect my sw-3 proto truck into a axial/ losi crawler. any pics of the outside mounting location of that nice steering servo plate you made? I see the 2 in the middle, but curious on the outside ones? knuckle screw?
Thanks Ben. The servo plate mounts to the axle tube on the other end. There's a better pic here, but the spacer isn't installed yet in these.
New Comp Build.......SWX......New Production Pics!!

Quote:
Wow thanks Brad for being very helpful to me..this is exactly what i need to know about suspension setup...I'm definitely getting your SWX, coz it is nice to buy a product especially if you can talk and discuss directly with the designer....you're the man Brad...wish you the best...
No problem, thanks for the support.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #673

hi brad i see you switched springs from losi white and front stampede on left rear what are you running now im in the process of setting up my swx thank you for all the help
bristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #674
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristal View Post
hi brad i see you switched springs from losi white and front stampede on left rear what are you running now im in the process of setting up my swx thank you for all the help
I went to Losi reds out front, the black Pede spring got swapped to the right rear and the left rear is now a silver Losi spring.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:01 PM   #675
I wanna be Dave

Question

Bender,

Is the R2D transmission meant to mount to the 2 side holes only in the chassis plate? Or is it recommended to drill mounting holes in the skid as well? It seams pretty solid just mounted to the plate, just wanted to be certain.

Thanks, great chassis
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #676
Pebble Pounder

Brad, what dig unit you are you using now? Looks like DNA..am I correct?
Old 11-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #677
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
Bender,

Is the R2D transmission meant to mount to the 2 side holes only in the chassis plate? Or is it recommended to drill mounting holes in the skid as well? It seams pretty solid just mounted to the plate, just wanted to be certain.

Thanks, great chassis
Thanks.

The R2D can be mounted to the chassis plate only, there's no need for holes in the skid plate.

Quote:
Brad, what dig unit you are you using now? Looks like DNA..am I correct?
That is correct, I'm running the DNA dig.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #678
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Brad......so what is the total weight of this rig? And how many inches between belly to the ground? Also the total width of SWX chassis (with skidplate installed) measured from one outer sideplate to the other outer sideplate, because I wanted to prepare a body earlier before ordering this chassis...many thanks...

Last edited by dirtworkshw; 11-02-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:39 AM   #679
Pebble Pounder

Brad are you running 2 chassis braces in the front to help remove flex on the open chassis side front to rear or was it done for another reason? I noticed in the rear you only run 1.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #680
Pebble Pounder

Nice build. Think I am going to order an SWX chassis this week after reading this thread.

Thanks for all the great info !
Archer414 is offline   Reply With Quote