Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Mirror Imaged Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Ya the only thing with this setup is you can't run dig.... so swapping the tranny/skid around works better because then you can run dig.... but with out dig this would probably work better. I made my own custom lower skid and moved the tranny and motor forward to help with weight.
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #22
MODERATOR™

I've elected to not run any dig crap on this truck for as long as I can stand it. Had it on my TLT and sure it has it's moments where it'll save me a reverse once or twice, but for the most part all I see is people over using it unnecessarily and doing bad at the comps anyways. Me and my no dig having truck have two first places this year, so I'm good to go without it... for now.

What's that saying? Learn to drive the truck... quit throwing money at it cause you can't drive...

Something like that.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #23

I had to bump this. I just tried it, and the improvement it made is awesome. The truck is much more stable and predictable. It's much more fun to drive now.

There is still some chassis roll, but not near as much as before, and the tire doesn't climb for the sky on every little climb. The turning radius also seems to be equal to the left and right now.

Also, I was able to drop the extra preload off the left rear shock.

Try it, you will probably like it.
Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:35 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

I'm going to do this on the weekend. Looks like a good mod to me.
Hordsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Default great idea

That is so in your face that u dont see it just wanted to say thanks for the tip that is a great way of transfering weight
Mr Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:16 AM   #26

Default thanks man!!

just tried this little mod, it took 10 minutes and has a very positive effect , nice, thanks. OMA
offmyaxials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #27
MODERATOR™

Good to hear it guys.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:16 AM   #28
djw

it works great! thnx!
djw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Nice find!
biggin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #30

I'm next cuz the torque twist is killing me!!!!!!
DANA60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #31
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANA60 View Post
I'm next cuz the torque twist is killing me!!!!!!

I don't see how it'll effect that in the least. Torque twist is from the rotation of the drivetrain.....your drivetrain will still spin the same direction. As far as weight placement of the motor,isn't this the same as flipping the tranny around? That has no effect on torque twist.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
I don't see how it'll effect that in the least. Torque twist is from the rotation of the drivetrain.....your drivetrain will still spin the same direction. As far as weight placement of the motor,isn't this the same as flipping the tranny around? That has no effect on torque twist.
Hey Raptor what do you suggest to get rid of the twist effect from the train?
My rig tends to twist when torque is applied when off camber and therefore throwing the rig off the rocks!!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #33
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Hey Raptor what do you suggest to get rid of the twist effect from the train?
My rig tends to twist when torque is applied when off camber and therefore throwing the rig off the rocks!!
Just going off your username,you fool with 1:1 stuff.....You know anything about linked suspension configuration and squat/anti squat numbers? The numbers from a 1:1 can be scaled down for similar results. You can dial some twist out with proper geometry. Adjust your shock oil,spring rates and preload. The side that squats in the rear under acceloration....for the most part,thicker oil and heavier spring rates can help that. There's no "set in stone" set up since EVERY rig varies and the driver for each rig varies. Get a few different weight oils and springs with different rates and test it out. Theres lots of tech about this subject throughout RCC,it's been beat to death.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #34
MODERATOR™

And you know I've beaten this stuff to death myself, and I can assure you, it'll make a difference.

Weight placement makes a difference.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #35

Im no expert but wont "spring preload" and stiff springs eliminate droop from the rear suspension.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:33 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Im no expert but wont "spring preload" and stiff springs eliminate droop from the rear suspension.
When you have the springs on the outside of the shock there is no droop. The way to get it to droop would be to remove the springs from the outside of the shocks and installed some inside on the top and bottm of the piston.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:59 AM   #37
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post

when you just flip the tranny the motor weight hangs on the right rear, with the mirror build you get the weight shifted to the right front. add that in with a motor spacer and you get more weight on that tire.

agreed not the cure but for me a big difference. i dont like the spring preloads fixes or trying different weights to compensate, makes me feel like the truck can do unpredictable things.

just my 92 posts worth of opinion
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:21 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Re-built my tranny last night to the mirrored configuration. I think it will make a substantial improvement in the overall performance of the 2.2 Hustler that it's going in. I've watched my crawling buddys who built theirs to the manual, and then the one guy who flipped his, and it does make a difference. The Hustler is already one planted little chassis...can't wait to see it with the motor weight to the right front tire.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #39
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
And you know I've beaten this stuff to death myself, and I can assure you, it'll make a difference.

Weight placement makes a difference.
I know you have and I'm sure you've tried as many different things as I have. If it's helped...Cool! I know weight placement is a big thing.

This is just my observation......

I've got 2 Axial 2.2's,my sons and mine. One,the motor is hanging out the right side and the other is hanging out the left. Both rigs have the same amount of torque twist. One thing I noticed...looking at the tranny/motor,the heaviest part of the motor is still in the same spot right next to the tranny. Really,the only part of the motor that was moved foward was the endbell.

I'm not trying to argue anything,these are just my observations with what I've tried. Personally,it hasn't helped me in the least. Shock set up and link configuration has helped with most of my torque twist. If it's helping you guys....cool dealio.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

I am trying this out on my crawler (first one). I got the tranny installed and tried running it around the basement. Doesn't seem to have much chassis roll when going forward. Cannot wait to get this crawler out on the rocks and see how this mod performs.
Archer414 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/110323-mirror-imaged-transmission.html
Posted By For Type Date
Scx10 Tr - THE SCALE BUILDER'S GUILD - Presented by JOWETT'S KUSTOM RC This thread Refback 10-04-2011 07:30 PM